369 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
880 Posts
Hey question. Why not go with a water to air intercooler? Seems like it would save you a lot of trouble with running huge tubing and blocking air flow to your radiator. Is it a capacity thing? It's just there is a TON of volume between the outlet of the turbo and the throttle body. That with the size of the turbo, isn't there going to be a lot of lag?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hey question. Why not go with a water to air intercooler? Seems like it would save you a lot of trouble with running huge tubing and blocking air flow to your radiator. Is it a capacity thing? It's just there is a TON of volume between the outlet of the turbo and the throttle body. That with the size of the turbo, isn't there going to be a lot of lag?
Would rather have the intercooler, as a water/air system is available i dont see the need for it and the rest of the system. If i do run into any Air temp problems, there are tons of ways to help.

but as far as air getting to the radiator, i have two pusher fans which do an amazing job and pulling air in through the intercooler then pushing it through the radiator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I were to make a guess, looking at the size of the turbo, I'd say yes, the lag would be terrible, however, the efficiency of the air to air is greater than a water to air, specially with that monster CAC! Is that a 6" core?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
If I were to make a guess, looking at the size of the turbo, I'd say yes, the lag would be terrible, however, the efficiency of the air to air is greater than a water to air, specially with that monster CAC! Is that a 6" core?
lol the turbo actually is small...remember its not a 3.0...its a built and bored 3.9l with a twin scroll 6766...i dont for see the lag you are thinking...

Lol no not a 6” lol its not that big...but again once its started and going ill see where my downfalls are and upgrade.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well it looks huge on the front of that car! Very very nice either way!
Yeah, it should do the trick. If not ill just throw some CO2 sprayers on there to keep it cool.

and as far as engine bay room...there isn’t that much lol even if I thought about getting a water to air tank

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Holset 6767 I used to run could brake boost 10+ psi under 3000rpms before the brakes wouldn't hold and that was with a lot more exhaust piping. I think he'll be okay

Yeah, it should do the trick. If not ill just throw some CO2 sprayers on there to keep it cool.

and as far as engine bay room...there isn’t that much lol even if I thought about getting a water to air tank
Best you could do is have a tank made that fits where the washer reservoir was... or just re-purpose the stock washer reservoir lol. Either way you add a lot of weight back with the pump, water lines, intercooler, heat exchanger, and reservoir and are still fighting to route the intercooler piping in a not-so-awkward fashion. That's why I'm on my 5th turbo kit and may build a new one later in the year. If there was more space for a turbo in front of either head then things would be much simpler.

·
880 Posts
The Holset 6767 I used to run could brake boost 10+ psi under 3000rpms before the brakes wouldn't hold and that was with a lot more exhaust piping. I think he'll be okay

Best you could do is have a tank made that fits where the washer reservoir was... or just re-purpose the stock washer reservoir lol. Either way you add a lot of weight back with the pump, water lines, intercooler, heat exchanger, and reservoir and are still fighting to route the intercooler piping in a not-so-awkward fashion. That's why I'm on my 5th turbo kit and may build a new one later in the year. If there was more space for a turbo in front of either head then things would be much simpler.
What are we walking for lag here though? Are we talking OK for drag racing where you have all the time in the world to stage? I know this isn't the point of the car, but I'm wondering if someone were in your car or this car on the highway doing about 70 mph in 5th gear, and they want to pass someone without downshifting, what's the throttle response like? Do they have to floor it to get the turbo to spool up or would a second or so under half or 3/4 throttle get you some power? I've never driven a setup like this so I'm just curious. Like I said, I know these cars aren't designed with the daily driver experience in mind, I'm just curious what the daily driving experience is like. Or even if you wanted to hit some canyon roads or a track day.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What are we walking for lag here though? Are we talking OK for drag racing where you have all the time in the world to stage? I know this isn't the point of the car, but I'm wondering if someone were in your car or this car on the highway doing about 70 mph in 5th gear, and they want to pass someone without downshifting, what's the throttle response like? Do they have to floor it to get the turbo to spool up or would a second or so under half or 3/4 throttle get you some power? I've never driven a setup like this so I'm just curious. Like I said, I know these cars aren't designed with the daily driver experience in mind, I'm just curious what the daily driving experience is like. Or even if you wanted to hit some canyon roads or a track day.
In a higher load, 2000+ rpm situation like highway driving there is already plenty of exhaust flow to keep the turbo spooling. Mine can go from that to boost in a quick blip of the throttle. Although I think I have a smaller AR housing with larger wheels. I think it's very streetable and fun to drive with the size I have. The absolute smallest I'd throw on a 75 would be like 56mm... That thing would spin up like crazy at low rpms :whistle:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
If im on the highway doing 70 I wouldn’t punch it lol i would drop a gear prep and go lol hell i do it in my GLI and it has a tiny little turbo. Lol

my AR housing is 1.32 i think. Ill have to look.
But this car would not be fun in a auto-x or Canyon lol umm....no power steering lol for now.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
so the car is at the tune shop, we have been ironing out the bugs like any build would have. so i hope to have starting numbers soon!!!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Update time!!! Bc no one asked for it.

Have been trying to get it started with the aem. Its of course been giving us problems but we are getting closer and closer!!! Had to modify the Cam wheel we used, now trying to figure out a drop in the crank signal. But we are getting closer!!!

·
880 Posts
Thank for the update! Even though we don't ask, I think a bunch of us like to see the progress posts. Keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
welp, got the car started!!! Running and it sounds amazing!!!

Got some Valve covers to mess with. Wondering if i should shave the 3.8l v6 off or make the 8 into a 9

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
To turn the 8 into a 9? I would just reshape the 8 lol

81 - 100 of 129 Posts