Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Because levers. You attached a giant lever to the back of your car and you're going to pull on it hard at speed. You should at least do some rough calculations before you just stick stuff on and call it good. Especially if you're going to use it in a racing environment.

Your assumption about lifting the rear is at least partially incorrect. It'll act like that if the parachute is directly attached to the back of the car. You didn't do that here. You attached a lever to the bottom of your car and put a parachute on it. Completely different system with additional moments and forces.

Also, the rear brakes are fraction of the size of the front ones. It's a very strange assumption that the rears will make up for the fronts in any meaningful way.
lol i think you are looking wayyyy to deep into this...the mount is fine...u are assuming if i use it, then it will just lift up my car and i will go flying away...seeing as tons of cars have used one just like this...im not worried

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #142

·
1,131 Posts
lol i think you are looking wayyyy to deep into this...the mount is fine...u are assuming if i use it, then it will just lift up my car and i will go flying away...seeing as tons of cars have used one just like this...im not worried
Again, you're misunderstanding. I have to assume on purpose because you're obviously smart enough to get this given the degree of work you've accomplished so far. I'm talking about weight transfer under braking, which is a basic concept for racing. I never said anything about your car flying away. That's just dumb. Ignore basic physics if you want, but justifying it with "well some other person that also ignores basic principles of physics does it" is just lazy. Good luck. Maybe try it out a few times by yourself before you risk another competitor's life.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree - it's mounted at least 18" too low. I would think ideally the center of the chute should be parallel or slightly below the trunk line since that's the last point of contact the air makes. A parachute is definitely nice to have but I would say in your case you have a ways to go before it's necessary. Your braking system is better and your car is several hundred pounds lighter than mine and I never had problems slowing down after a 140mph pass... I don't think you'll see those trap speeds yet.

What final drive do you have? And what size tire are you on?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Yeah, this car is not a good example of simple or cost efficient lol

141 - 147 of 147 Posts