Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rolled over 80K. Was told Timing belt needs to be changed said one of the guys at the Mitsubishi dealer, but yet it would cost me $800???? :eek: Are they serious or is someone trying to rip me off? I can get the belt for $45 how in the hell is that still over $700 for labor??:noway:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know timming belt is very expensive. Usually they change the water pump and stuff while doing the timing belt so that may be part of the cost. Not sure on what the dealerships charge exactly, but i would guess it would be around there.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
do it yourself or get a few friends and drink alot of alcohol then do it.

if you mess up do a insurance claim and claim it was vandalism.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
stp2k4 said:
do it yourself or get a few friends and drink alot of alcohol then do it.

if you mess up do a insurance claim and claim it was vandalism.
I wouldn't suggest drinking and working on the timing belt. You need your wits about you.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
it was a joke geez you guys.. go umm do the hyphy with NP2fast..

·
Registered
886 Posts
the labor for a V6 timing belt is about 3.5 hours... so thats more like 350 bucks.

are they attempting to sell you a water pump, or something else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Manybrews said:
the labor for a V6 timing belt is about 3.5 hours... so thats more like 350 bucks.

are they attempting to sell you a water pump, or something else?
they said they would replace it or something...but 800 total is alot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
my guess is they are giving you the quote for timing belt, idler pully, timing belt...the works.

I changed my timing belt, and would pay someone 400 bones HAPPILY. my knuckles hated me for about 3 weeks after that 'quick-e job' i thought I was getting into. It honestly didnt look that bad untill I got into it....

:: snapps fingers:: hated it!

D

·
0 Posts
They charge a package fee for tranny inspection, timing belt, waterpump, and some other misc. crap. Look at the servise invoice that will tell you what all they are doing. In my opinion doing the timing belt if you are not qualified is hazardous to the engine. Timing is what kills most 6G72 blocks.

·
bollocks
19,089 Posts
my dealer quoted me 1200 for belts, plugs and wires.
I ended up doing the plugs and wires myself, paid 200 for the rest.

D

·
0 Posts
Really any reputable shop can change the belt. Dealerships, however do have better warranty coverage.

·
bollocks
19,089 Posts
Dr. 9023G said:
Really any reputable shop can change the belt. Dealerships, however do have better warranty coverage.
:agreed: We have a mechanic that has worked on my family's cars for years.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
You 4 real?

00Clipse said:
Do it yourself. Or drive down to Colorado and I'll do it for 100 bucks
Hey, I'm at almost 93k on my original timing belt. Well overdue, I know.:scared: Haven't had the $400 it takes for most shops to do the job. Are you really sure you could do the job for 100 bones, 'cause I'm in North Denver and would make the short drive..... :twothumb:
How about the water pump?.....

·
LORD WHITE CRACKER!!
2,967 Posts
I paid $1200 for pump, and timming belt. but that was in 2003

1 - 20 of 57 Posts