Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dont go to the dealership. Look around and get quotes from other mechanics. The dealership will always try to rape you.

I dont know how different it is for a V6; but for my I4 my mechanic only charged me $210 for labor and thats with me buying the parts. So shop around.

Oh and just to show how much the dealership rapes people I asked how much they charged for a timing belt and they said it would be $90. I bought mine from where I work for $35. Dealerships suck.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Fade2blk said:
Dont go to the dealership. Look around and get quotes from other mechanics. The dealership will always try to rape you.

I dont know how different it is for a V6; but for my I4 my mechanic only charged me $210 for labor and thats with me buying the parts. So shop around.

Oh and just to show how much the dealership rapes people I asked how much they charged for a timing belt and they said it would be $90. I bought mine from where I work for $35. Dealerships suck.

you have no idea what you're talking about.
The reason mom-and-pop places charge less is because they generally suck. 20 percent of the work we do comes from aftermarket shops... and thats NOT an exaggeration.
and the parts cost? you can use REAL factory parts, or generically manufactured crap from god knows where. Personally, i want the same quality timing belt the car came with, not something cranked out somewhere in china.
incidenly, we only charge 250 bucks labor for the timing belt, so you saved about 40 bucks to have some hack put it together.

·
bollocks
19,089 Posts
Manybrews said:
you have no idea what you're talking about.
The reason mom-and-pop places charge less is because they generally suck. 20 percent of the work we do comes from aftermarket shops... and thats NOT an exaggeration.
and the parts cost? you can use REAL factory parts, or generically manufactured crap from god knows where. Personally, i want the same quality timing belt the car came with, not something cranked out somewhere in china.
incidenly, we only charge 250 bucks labor for the timing belt, so you saved about 40 bucks to have some hack put it together.
:lol: Well said. Although I still disagree with you, at least in my case. I spent around $150 in parts IIRC, and had my guy do it for $200. This is a guy who rebuilt 2 engines for my family already, and sold my dad his current car. It all depends on who you trust to do reliable work for you.

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
You get the parts and Ill do it for $150. Its easy now that ive done it 3 times.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well I went in to change mine because I was at 110k miles on the origional belt. LoL crazy I know.

I went to tear into the thing and as soon as I did, i knew it wasnt going to be an easy job. It is just way to tight of a squeeze to be plesent. So I put the timing cover back on the engine, and drive it to my dads friends shop. I ask him how much to swap timing belts and he said he would do it for 700 bucks. yea, no thank you.

So I go back home, and tear the timing cover back off -- ende dup doing the job myself with a couple buddies, took about 6 hours to do. and like I said before, I would have gladly paid someone 400 bucks before I tore into it, and afterwards,I still would have thought about it.

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
I just called the dealer and made an appointment to have my timing belt changed. They quoted me $630.00 total. They said they would need 4-5 hours to do it. They did not mention the water pump, so not sure if they will change that as part of the $630 or that will be extra. Im sure it'll be extra most likely. Since I have just under 59K on it, but have had it since it was new back in August '99 (almost 7 years old), Im paying the money to have the dealer do it. And I have a 2000 GT

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
THE_SilverBullet said:
I just called the dealer and made an appointment to have my timing belt changed. They quoted me $630.00 total. They said they would need 4-5 hours to do it. They did not mention the water pump, so not sure if they will change that as part of the $630 or that will be extra. Im sure it'll be extra most likely. Since I have just under 59K on it, but have had it since it was new back in August '99 (almost 7 years old), Im paying the money to have the dealer do it. And I have a 2000 GT
For $630, I'll fly up there and do it for you :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
timing belt

I asked out here at the dealerdhip, they want 450, and the water pump is another 200 without tax. Vancouver, CA

Probably a good time to replace a couple other belts while yer at it if what I have read is correct.

Better to pay somone imo, plus if they screw up they get to fix it right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I work at goodyear full time as a sales rep, the master tech there did my timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, spark plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, tube seals, 3-step fuel injection cleaning, oil change, pullies replaced, and inner tie rod endings, for $800

·
1st Lady of the GLR
770 Posts
Manybrews said:
the labor for a V6 timing belt is about 3.5 hours... so thats more like 350 bucks.

are they attempting to sell you a water pump, or something else?
Well I work for a Chevy dealership and was just talkin to one of our techs about the timing belt and he told me its a 4 hr job and it was just for the timing belt, no other parts included. He didnt recommend anyone do this by yourself b/c if you are just a mm off you can ruin your valves and be in worse shape than you started. He said that he even hates that job. My clipse just hit 63000 and I had to change my slave cylinder(was leaking fluid and had no gears) so while I was at it I wanted to change all the belts including the timing belt; but since I talked to the tech I decided I would let someone else do that job later down the road.

So I would take it somewhere to have it done and just know that you are paying for a job from someone who actually knows what they are doin!! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
800 is way too much. The job is like 2.5 hours and avarage rate is like 70per hour. Try getting a quote for just the labor, and get parts from somewhere else.

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
00clipsegt said:
I work at goodyear full time as a sales rep, the master tech there did my timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, spark plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, tube seals, 3-step fuel injection cleaning, oil change, pullies replaced, and inner tie rod endings, for $800
Yea, but was the charge for all that service because you are a rep for them? Or would they do all of that for $800 for anyone? Thats a good deal for all that work for sure.

Blkshdw03 -- I had a friend of a friend who works at a Nissan dealership tell me he didnt want to touch the timing belt. He said it was too involved and even though hes a service tech he didnt want anything to do with it. That should tell you and others something that its not something anyone can do. Me, personally, Im going to the dealer to have them do it and ya, sure if I shopped around, I could probably find somewhere cheaper to do it, but Ill have peace of mind knowing the Mitsu dealer knows what they're doing. I plan on keeping my car for a long time (had it almost 7 years now) so its worth the extra $$ for me! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
THE_SilverBullet said:
I just called the dealer and made an appointment to have my timing belt changed. They quoted me $630.00 total.
which dealership is this? my friend in nova got quoted 800-1200 from the dealers out there. If its cheaper in MD then he can go there.

·
Registered
886 Posts
blkshdw03 said:
Well I work for a Chevy dealership and was just talkin to one of our techs about the timing belt and he told me its a 4 hr job and it was just for the timing belt, no other parts included. He didnt recommend anyone do this by yourself b/c if you are just a mm off you can ruin your valves and be in worse shape than you started. He said that he even hates that job. My clipse just hit 63000 and I had to change my slave cylinder(was leaking fluid and had no gears) so while I was at it I wanted to change all the belts including the timing belt; but since I talked to the tech I decided I would let someone else do that job later down the road.

just to let you know, your average chevy tech is a braindead moron.
Ive been in the industry for 15 years, and domestic techs are USUALLY (but not always) redneck morons, far too stupid to actually repair cars.
timing belts on mitsus are a piece of cake for anyone that knows REAL cars.
the labor rate is approximately 3.5 hours for the 6 cylinder; 2.5 for the 4. I can do either one in less than an hour from start to finish.
Dont EVER take your car to a chevy tech unless he has actually worked on real cars at some time in his life (GM technology is so ass-backwards that once you work on them for a while, you loose the brain capacity to work on properly engineered cars).

21 - 40 of 57 Posts