Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
pinoyesv6 said:
which dealership is this? my friend in nova got quoted 800-1200 from the dealers out there. If its cheaper in MD then he can go there.
I always go to the Fitzgerald Autos Mitsu/Kia/Mazda dealership on West Street in Annapolis. I bought the car from them in August '99 and have always gone to them for repairs/service, etc (when I havent done it myself).

·
Registered
994 Posts
this same question is in problem reports too. i checked my belt today and i have 61000 miles on it(V6). took the top bolts off and slid the cover off enough to see the belt and gear and it was perfectly fine. looked brand new to me. i rotated the whole engine and everything to check the whole belt. highly recommend checking it out before getting it changed. just because your manual says 60000 miles doesnt mean you need to change it. only takes 15 min and can save 500 or more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah thats pretty common, especially from a mitsubishi dealer :rant2:

I got mine done for around $700, but its not just the timing belt they do. You're quoted for the "60,000 mile service" that they do. It comes with things like a new motor mount and some stuff. Shop around though.

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
The quote for $630 was strictly for the timing belt alone, not 60K service, nothing else. Doesnt bother me, for peace of mind, Ill have it done correctly and know its good to go for another 60K miles or more. Worth it to me since Ill most likely still have the car by then too!

fallenSHADOWS said:
yeah thats pretty common, especially from a mitsubishi dealer :rant2:

I got mine done for around $700, but its not just the timing belt they do. You're quoted for the "60,000 mile service" that they do. It comes with things like a new motor mount and some stuff. Shop around though.

·
T25 POWA
1,013 Posts
ridemlow03 said:
this same question is in problem reports too. i checked my belt today and i have 61000 miles on it(V6). took the top bolts off and slid the cover off enough to see the belt and gear and it was perfectly fine. looked brand new to me. i rotated the whole engine and everything to check the whole belt. highly recommend checking it out before getting it changed. just because your manual says 60000 miles doesnt mean you need to change it. only takes 15 min and can save 500 or more.
If you don’t change it in the near future don't come back into problem reports bitching about "my timing belt snapped what should I do now?". Just because it looks fine doesn't make it fine. For me it is not worth the risk of having to do a valve job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
THE_SilverBullet said:
The quote for $630 was strictly for the timing belt alone, not 60K service, nothing else. Doesnt bother me, for peace of mind, Ill have it done correctly and know its good to go for another 60K miles or more. Worth it to me since Ill most likely still have the car by then too!
wow.... thats more than they would ever charge up here. Wierd, do what you want, but I would shop around.

·
Hunky New-Comer
7,951 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
i dont remember where but i was looking for timing belt stuff a few weeks ago and found an OEM kit, timing belt/waterpump/tensionerpulley (everything but the balance belt, which you can get for 40 bucks from mitsubishiparts.com) for like 270. and if you are brave enough to do it yourself, there ya go. im planning on dropping my whole engine to do it, because my rear main seal (32 bucks at mitsuparts) is leaking too. so i think it will be easier to just pull everything. if anyone has any other ideas lemme know. but fyi mitsubishi dealers wanted almost 2 grand... im sure it is great work, and its warrantied, but army dont pay me enough to do that shit. wish me luck :)

·
I'm all man lady
293 Posts
Shit guys, i complained too, i paid like $60 for all my belts and paid a friend of mine 150 to do the whole thing, took him about 2 hours, i'm assuming his labor was quite low cause he told me it'd cost a little under $100.

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
had mine changed at dealer today. was only $586 total ($485/labor + $101.30/parts) for timing belt only (no water pump). Also paid $133 ($97/labor + $36.75/parts) for a new front engine roll mount which was bad, which I wasnt aware of. Also found out one of my rims is SLIGHTLY bent. Oh well. Might get some new rims and sell my 17" 5-Zigen Copse Hypersilver CHEAP if I do! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine was going to be 800 aswell-- luckly my car got totaled after the 700 starter was installed-

·
Registered
1 Posts
just to let you know, your average chevy tech is a braindead moron.
Ive been in the industry for 15 years, and domestic techs are USUALLY (but not always) redneck morons, far too stupid to actually repair cars.
timing belts on mitsus are a piece of cake for anyone that knows REAL cars.
the labor rate is approximately 3.5 hours for the 6 cylinder; 2.5 for the 4. I can do either one in less than an hour from start to finish.
Dont EVER take your car to a chevy tech unless he has actually worked on real cars at some time in his life (GM technology is so ass-backwards that once you work on them for a while, you loose the brain capacity to work on properly engineered cars).
Wow !!!! You ever heard the saying" best keep mouth shut and they wondering how smart you are, less you open mouth and reveal just how stupid you are"? No ? I can tell you havent .mr manybrews i see you live up to your name....would explain the stupidity you just performed for for the world to see.....wow wow wow

·
1,070 Posts
Wow !!!! You ever heard the saying" best keep mouth shut and they wondering how smart you are, less you open mouth and reveal just how stupid you are"? No ? I can tell you havent .mr manybrews i see you live up to your name....would explain the stupidity you just performed for for the world to see.....wow wow wow
Dude, you're replying to a 14 year old comment. He hasn't signed into this forum in over 12 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just rolled over 80K. Was told Timing belt needs to be changed said one of the guys at the Mitsubishi dealer, but yet it would cost me $800???? :eek: Are they serious or is someone trying to rip me off? I can get the belt for $45 how in the hell is that still over $700 for labor??:noway:
I'll do it for half that in less time.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts