Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im gettin real annoyed i re grounded my wires bought new coils changed spark plugs bought new battery and my car is going thru coil packs like craaazy!! its only the one on the passenger side but i cant seem to figure it out?? my mechanic said hes never seen any thing like it?! there are other threads on this but they didnt find the issue either?? some one please help:mecry2: lol im gettin very frustrated i wanna fight my car:blush2: so any info please would be appriciated btw car is completly stock only 60k miles nd 4g64 engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for reply. but beacuse we replaced the pack and it will run fine for a day or so and when it starts misfiring again i take the spark wire off the coil while engine on and there is no spark comin from the pack so it knocks out two cylinders since its wired to 2. i check the other coil and there is spark jumping to the wire so that ones fine . so we cant figure out wats making the coil die?? maybe too much resistance but the plugs are new! if wires were bad wouldnt there be spark jumpin to the metal head before it reaches the plug?? should i try buying oem coil pack we have tried varoius different brands all no luck? maybe alternator is on its way out causing coil pack to work harder to jump the gap thus possibly over heating the pack?? i also have small overheating issue but never reaches the top of temp meter? 2 days ago we found a ground that was all burnt and plastic was toasted so the wires were visible but we replaced that and still no fix? we are soo confused!!!:rolleyes: o and also when car is functioning it misfires right when i turn the a/c on and i turn it off and its back to normal. eventually coil just stops working though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mechanic was looking through tsb's today and said nothing for the coils or related. he also checked the coil connector today and ground was fine ,signal too and the coils are getting 12.5vs of power each. does that sound correct? As for the updates i will look into that right now.

·
Autocrosser
36 Posts
Also before replacing the coil pack each time, try swapping it with one of the ones that are working. The fact that something overheated may mean that you have a short or a power source contacting it after the fuse causing it to melt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i found a short last week it was a ground so i followed it aaall the way thru the fire wall and into the dash. it led me to another ground?? but there was two other grounds connected to that. i replaced the burnt ground cable and checked around for any more burnt cables but they all seemed to be ok. could it be the ignition failure sensor i believe thats were the coils power comes from? right? is there a relay for each coil and also what exactly is a capacitator:dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts