Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This is clug 3G but a LOT of people here are familiar with the old 2G I know so I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with this issue. I have a 1995 GS with the 420a. I came upon this ride for near nothing since the car was neglected a little in terms of maintenance and the head gasket was popped as a result of the owner not taking care of a bad radiator.

I took the engine out and did a complete rebuild on the engine and replaced all the hoses, belts, bearing, pistons, rings, pumps and on and on. Well the car ran great for about an hour and it just won't stay running at low rpms. The plugs, wires and coil pack are new and the car runs great actually. I think the ECU eventually figured out that some sensor isn't working correctly and is not allowing it to run. It doesn't like to start right up and sometimes I can leave the car there for 10-15min and it will start right up and drive. Then it will shortly just switch off on deceleration and if I put it in low gear and keep rolling it will turn back on if I'm moving fast enough.

I'm about to order a new cam position sensor and also a crank angle sensor since these are the two main components of the ignition system that tell the ECU what's going on. The timing is SPOT on without a doubt and the car really picks up and moves just like it should. It just dies and simply is not safe to drive like this. If anyone has any experience or tips about this please comment. :coffee:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This baby is bone stock and never modified. It's been treated fairly well and has 165K on it I think.

Engine was really simple to rebuild and it started up INSTANTLY and ran great as I drove it out of my buddies shop in front of all his mechanics who were very curious to see how it would start after my complete rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've replaced so many things on this car I guess I'll just keep going and see what fixes this weird problem. My friends that own a couple mechanic shops just don't have the time to spend helping fix this unique problem and I don't care to let the dealership charge me for nothing. Plus the dealership that was near me shut down - economy and all. I see AllData has a bulletin about a reflash that can be done by a dealership (Chrysler or Mitsu both I assume) but I don't see how that would "fix" this problem since the car ran 150K+ just fine. I'm sure it's just a driveability upgrade for smoother operation.

So I'm ordering the new sensors and we'll see how it goes from there. The only other thing I can guess is that the fuel rail regulator is losing pressure randomly and causing fuel pressure to drop letting the engine die at times but that would be really odd. Or maybe a relay is intermittently not operating correctly causing the fuel pump to stop working momentarily. It's an easy relay to replace so maybe I'll order a new one of those too. Hmmm...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts