Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am not able to locate the A/C drain pipe or hole where the moisture of the condenser flows out. Normally you see the car dripping water from under the car when the A/C is running.

I've look on the FSM but can't find anything. If you do find it post up the section XX-XXX info. thnx!!!

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I may be wrong, but I want to say that the water just collects on the outside of the A/C tube and drips down, kinda like when you leave a soda can out in the heat. I'm not sure mostly because I never use my A/C nor know the workings all too well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only section I reference to it is 55-30 in the 2000 - 02 FSM. I recently had to fix it because the water was draining into the interior. If you are inside the car look to the right of the gas pedal and you will see the drain pan. The drain pipe is inside the pan on the drivers side. If you are trying to locate the pipe from the outside you cannot see it from underneath the car. The best way to see the drain is to remove the intake and look/feel between the steering column and the rear engine mount.

·
Topless = Way to go
635 Posts
The only section I reference to it is 55-30 in the 2000 - 02 FSM. I recently had to fix it because the water was draining into the interior. If you are inside the car look to the right of the gas pedal and you will see the drain pan. The drain pipe is inside the pan on the drivers side. If you are trying to locate the pipe from the outside you cannot see it from underneath the car. The best way to see the drain is to remove the intake and look/feel between the steering column and the rear engine mount.
You can see it from underneath it's between the subframe and the firewall in a small dimple on the rear engine mount. I located it yesterday to be able to also seal it from the outside. Mitsubishi really never thought of drain angles when they made it that is why the water runs back inti the cabin if the seal is broken. It was way more comfortable doing it from under the car than from the top.

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
You can see it from underneath it's between the subframe and the firewall in a small dimple on the rear engine mount. I located it yesterday to be able to also seal it from the outside. Mitsubishi really never thought of drain angles when they made it that is why the water runs back inti the cabin if the seal is broken. It was way more comfortable doing it from under the car than from the top.
How exactly did you get to it from the bottom at all. It was hard to get to it from the top for me. I would like to seal both my Stratus and Eclipse from the outside because it seems that sealing it from the inside doesn't always help.

·
Flip! What the zip?!
1,179 Posts
I need more pictures. I pulled the carpet up, but nothing recognizable as a tube.

·
Topless = Way to go
635 Posts
How exactly did you get to it from the bottom at all. It was hard to get to it from the top for me. I would like to seal both my Stratus and Eclipse from the outside because it seems that sealing it from the inside doesn't always help.
It's easy as long as you know exactly where it is. The exact location is behind the rear engine mount. I wish I would have taken a picture but that was a crappy location to take pics (don't like being under a car for too long). Just look at that location in between the crossmember (light gray structure that connects the two wheels) and the body's firewall and you'll see it. Be sure to take a flashlight and point it between those structures at the motor mount location and you should see it. It's an approx. 1/2inch tube.

I need more pictures. I pulled the carpet up, but nothing recognizable as a tube.
It doesn't look like a tube, it's just the end of the lower evap box connected to the firewall. Look for the metal shield that surround the brake pedal exit to the engine and it's right next to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A/C Drain issues

I've been trying, but can't quite see anything that looks like a drain from either inside or under the car. Can you possibly post some more pics? And once I do find it, do I seal it or make sure it is open to keep my fdriver's side floorboards from flooding out?

·
Flip! What the zip?!
1,179 Posts
I've been trying, but can't quite see anything that looks like a drain from either inside or under the car. Can you possibly post some more pics? And once I do find it, do I seal it or make sure it is open to keep my fdriver's side floorboards from flooding out?
Follow me; go to your passenger seat. Now look under the dash, you see all that black? That's the A/C fan and ducts. Now look to the left, towards the center console, following that duct. Make note of the screws you saw, and where the separation is. Go to your drivers seat. Look at the accel. pedal. Look to the right of that, you will see a black box. This box is where condensation drains to. Now, if you follow that black box towards the firewall, and move the carpet out of the way, you will see the apparatus that lets water drain to the outside.

It's not enough to seal it. I pulled out my entire center console and radio. Unscrewed those screws and vacuumed out the mess that was blocking the drain exit anyway. Trust me, there's dead critters and leaves in there. Get some silicon. NOT AUTOMOTIVE! That's for windows. Get the kind for the bathroom. Just gunk it in there, use the whole thing, just make sure you get ALL AROUND that drain exit. Let it cure for 24hrs. You can put it everything back together after you get the silicon in place, or you can leave it apart and run a few gallons through the next day to make sure you havent screwed up.

·
Topless = Way to go
635 Posts
I finally sealed it to the point of no more water seeping back into the cabin. It was definitely not fun and a time consuming process. Even when I sealed it from the inside it's so difficult to seal it all the way around I finally gave up and sealed it from the outside.

·
kingedwards2nd
3 Posts
I have been working on this all day and have gotten nowhere. I jacked my front end up to see what I could see from the bottom but I couldn't see anything or was looking in the wrong spot. I did find a hole in what I would assume is called the subframe of the car. I ran the AC on high to see if water would come out which it did but didn't see any type of drain hose. I pulled up all the carpet and foam padding from the drivers side floor board and located the leak. I can see the area where it is coming from but cannot really get to it. The best way to explain it is the screw near the bottom right neat the gas pedal about a inch or 2 to the right of that I can see a trail of water. But I do not tsee a hole or hose there to try to unclog. Where is it coming from? And does anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a newb on the forum but certainly no stranger to cars or Mitsu's. Some of you may recognise the S/N from DSMTuners.

Nevertheless, I'm working on a 3g and thought I'd share with you some information I've used for addressing a repeat offender of the water-in-floorboard complaint.

First is to find the source of the leak. The patient in front of me came in a few months ago for leaking on the passenger floorboard area. Upon further inspection I was able to see that the box itself was leaking on to the passenger side of the exhaust tunnel and then the water was collecting on the passenger floor.

The repair in that situation was to remove do the service bulletin for installing a cabin air filter. The evaporator core is like a radiator in that air flows through fins which allows for the exchange of heat. But on the 3g, this core is laying on it's side and so the box design is a bit different and problematic. The a/c will come on and the core gets cold. As some air flows through it, the moisture is retained on the core and cold dry air is sent through the box to the driver. This condensation is supposed to drain out of the box and then on the ground.

However, because of the design and the lack of air filtration from the factory or on low-line cars that didn't have the filter, a lot of leaves and debris get in to the box and clog up the path that the water is designed to flow out. The end result is water backing up in the box and draining out of a seam.

The second leak that we're addressing now that the box is clean, the drain is opened up and a cabin filter is installed is a box that properly drains but the poor seal at the drain spout to firewall point. The water exits the box and starts it's way out of the spout but instead of dripping straight down, it flows on the outside of the spout back to the firewall and because of a poor seal, it re-enters the passenger compartment on the outside of the HVAC case and then drains down the firewall.

There's a number of professional grade products that we use to seal up HVAC boxes when we go in to replace a component inside. But one in particular can be found at Carquest. The part number is 209491 and it's a cork/tar roll that works well for sealing and insulating. The part number is for a large roll, way more than you'd ever need for this job and unless you're a pro, you'll never use an entire roll for anything. Regardless, it's one thing you can use to compliment/replace the foam on the inner and out side of the firewall where the drain spout goes through.

Back to the cleaning out the box though... it's possible to drop the passenger side of the HVAC box and clean out the debris from the drain. You'll need a shop vac, air compressor and an air blower that has a long tip on it to insert in to the box. If you can't find one or don't want to buy one then rig up some small hose on the tip of the air chuck you do have to stick in to the box.

Other key tools to have would be a 1/4" socket that is a 1/4 drive and a phillips head bit you can put in that socket. An assortment of small extensions and swivel/universal joints will help get those hard to reach screws. Remember, there's a few screws on the firewall side that you just can't see. If you've got an electric 1/4 drive ratchet or a 1/4 drive air ratchet then you will have a MUCH easier time partially taking the HVAC box apart.

I don't have access to a camera here at work not do I own a 3g but if I can help, just post up some pictures and I'll walk you through the repair.

Good luck,
Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, another cheap fix may be to add an o-ring on to the spout itself. The water will drip off of the o-ring since it's the lowest point now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, another cheap fix may be to add an o-ring on to the spout itself. The water will drip off of the o-ring since it's the lowest point now.
Hi folks. I see this is an old thread - hoping someone sees this :)

I have the same issue and many of you have with the AC run off coming back in the drivers side. I have removed the battery and airbox and can not see the drain pipe. Is it behind the noise flap behind the motor mount? I didnt want to cut the flap back until I know for sure thats where it at. I have an 04 GTS Spyder Eclipse.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts