Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, sorry my first post is in the problem reporting thread, but I am at an ends trying to figure this thing out. It seems that my car is spooked by a ghost or something.

Anyhow, I actually have 3 problems, but remedying one might help to remedy the second, and I am pretty sure the third is unrelated.

YEAR: 2003

SUBMODEL: RS

TRANSMISSION: Automatic

MILES: 103K

PROBLEM: The first problem I want to take care of occurred yesterday, I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at work listening to my radio. I didn't have the car turned on all the way, at the time. Before getting back to work I turned it over (as I am apt to do out of fear of draining my battery even though it is a bit unreasonable for the amount of time I sat there) and the CEL was on, on the dash. I had a friend listen as I started the car and drove it around a bit, and I can't honestly hear/feel/smell anything different from before the CEL was on. I like to keep my cars in tip-top running shape so I took it over to Autozone right away to get the OBDII code read.

Here is where my second problem lies. The employee plugged 'er in, but wouldn't get it to read. He tried cleaning off the prongs, etc...and plugged it into another car that read off fine. He said there might be something wrong there, such as a fuse or something. I pulled all my fuses (I think all of them anyway, I pulled the ones from under the hood on the drivers side, and the ones from the hidden fuse box on the drivers side inside the car) and checked them, which they looked fine to me. As you might can see, if I can remedy the problem of the OBDII reading, I could probably find out what code my car is throwing out, and I can get that ugly CEL off her pretty little dash.

The third problem, which is of minor importance to me, is that my parking lights stay on. If I have my key to the on position or if I have the car on, my front and back lights stay on no matter if the light selector is in the off position. It's a slight annoyance, I can never take my car out to the drive-in because I'd be the asshole with the lights on (unless I pulled my fuses). It's a bit weird though, because if I have the light selector on off, the lights dim, albeit faintly, when compared with the middle selection and the full-on selection. Could it be a rely of some kind? Perhaps a wiring problem? Are there fuses somewhere I am missing?

MODIFICATIONS & MAINTENANCE: My car is completely stock except for the radio which I got when I first bought the car about 2 years ago. The light problem has persisted for about a year now, and as I said earlier the CEL just started yesterday. I've never had to run an ODBII scan on her before, so I don't know how long that has been an issue.

WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM: Checked fuses.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
The brake light usually means the alternator is about the take a shit if the battery light is on with it as well. That would also explain the whole dimming headlights and such. As far as not being able to read the OBDII codes, what kind of scanner does your friend have? Some scanners need special attachments in order to read codes correctly. I would just take the 3G to the nearest autozone and let them read the code there. If they can't pick it up, there's an issue with communication with the ECU most likely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help friend, but perhaps my original post was worded weirdly.

The break light on the dash is not lit, rather it is the orange lights on the front and the red lights in the back that stay on no matter what selection I have set for the lights. They're perfectly bright and only dim slightly when I move the selector to the off position.

I did take my car to Autozone, as soon as the CEL came on, that is where the could not get the reading.

To update, I've changed the fuse I think controls the OBDII port, even though it didn't "look" bad. I don't have any driving to do today, so I will be stopping by Autozone and seeing if they don't mind trying to scan it again either later or tomorrow. If anyone else has anything they want to add or throw my way, feel free to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But, even when the selector is in the off position and the car is not turned on fully?

My car was built in Normal, Illinois and sold from same (I live only 30 min from there, I like to think my car fancies it as being at home)

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
But, even when the selector is in the off position and the car is not turned on fully?

My car was built in Normal, Illinois and sold from same (I live only 30 min from there, I like to think my car fancies it as being at home)
Yes. Hence the term "DAYTIME" running headlights. It doesn't matter where your car was built, or how close you live to the factory. If it was imported from Canada before you bought it (or was destined for Canada), that's how they were equipped. They were all made in the same factory, regardless of destination.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, alright.

While rummaging around under the hood I pulled up one of the spark wires and found some oil. I'm going to be replacing the valve cover gasket and tube-things as well as plugs and wires with my next check. Maybe that is what is throwing up the CEL, a minor misfire or something. I'm hoping I got the whole OBDII thing nailed.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Theres a trick somewhere on the board for testing your cel without a code reader. If I recall, using a paper clip on two of the obd2 pins to get the cel to flash the code to ya.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I got the diagnostic to work and it is throwing out the code P0135 which is O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

So I've got everything cleared up now. Thanks a bunch for your help guys, you are awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.