Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 02 GT with the premium infinity system. a few months ago i installed a Sony CDX-GT510 head unit and used the Metra 70-7003 to keep my stock amp. my goal is to be able to keep the stock amp to run my speakers (which sound fine, plenty of mid and high for me), and run a separate amp to power a sub or two, haven't decided. anyways, i've been looking around and can't get the exact answer i need.

Sony CDX-GT510 CD Receiver/MP3/WMA/AAC Player/UniLink™ Control
my sony head unit has a pre-sub feature, but i'm going with an actual amp anyway. there are three sets of RCA's on the back:

-Bus Audio IN (used for cd changer, sat radio, ect.)
-Audio Out REAR (consists of the teal RCA on left channel, purple on right RCA)
-Audio Out FRONT (black RCA left, white RCA right)

my question is... since part of the Metra harness that connects to the stock infinity amp takes the RCA's for the output, how can i connect an aftermarket amp to the head unit and power a sub? like i said, i want to use the stock amp for my speakers, and an aftermarket amp for a sub.

help??:ugh:

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks BlackEclipse and Circuit. that actually was the only thing i could think of that would work for the RCA's. i really like my sony so changing it right now is out of the question.

by using the Y adapters, am i going to experience a drastic loss of power or sound due to two components sharing the same output?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
No, they will receive the same voltage. Regardless, that is what the gain knob on the amp is for, to match the amp's sensitivity to the input voltage. The only thing you will "lose" is the ability to play with the balance/fader controls, as this will also affect the sub too, which is not what you want.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats fine, i dont mess with the balancing or fading controls, i have them both centered and it sounds good.

+1 for you and BlackEclipse, thanks for your help!

Reactions: Circuit

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
edit: the subs i found before were junk. my last question is what amp should i get if i were to get a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer, that handles up to 500watts but 250 watts continuous? would i need a capacitor?

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone???

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
edit: the subs i found before were junk. my last question is what amp should i get if i were to get a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer, that handles up to 500watts but 250 watts continuous? would i need a capacitor?
If you are going to run two of those, I would HIGHLY suggest finding the DVC 2 ohm subs. With the DVC 4 ohm versions, you would only be able to wire them at 1, 4, or 16 ohms. 1 is too low for most amps, 4 will work if you have a high powered 2 channel bridged to a single channel, and 16 is way too high to make any power. With the DVC 2 ohm versions, you will be able to wire them to a 2 ohm load and get a decent monoblock.

You only want to look at Continuous or RMS power. Since they are rated at 250 watts RMS each, you need an amp that can put out 500W RMS at the ohm load at which you are going to run the subs.

NO YOU DO NOT EVAR NEED A CAPACITOR. Get a better battery (optima red/yellow top) and do the big 3 and you will be fine until you go over 1kW.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome, thanks again Circuit that helps a lot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts