Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I just recently had to return my 74 and have it warranted. I put the exchanged motor in and have yet to have it started.... First one was to easy plug n play this one not so much. Little information the motor is out of an 01 diamante has 68k on the clock. So this motor would not fire. I had weak spark so I replaced Wires, NGK IR plugs, replaced distributor had great spark. So I did a fuel pressure check.... No power to the pump check every fuse 20 times over again and they were all good.... Now my check engine light shut off and doesn't come up when i turn the key like it normally should.....also when it was on wasn't having any power/connection to the OB2. so I checked the ECM and that is getting power and every fuse is also getting power... I'm at a complete lose here.... someone please hook me up with some advice my car wants to be taking off jack stands lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that was my mission today. But why would the check engine light randomly turn off? It was on went to check the fuel pump for power turned around and that was the last I saw of it.. any idea on that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got ya thanks for the starting point appreciate the response. I try to see whats up with it and give you and update.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the diagrams up the garage hard to make sence of it all when you exhausted lol... fresh start today should help though

·
54,338 Posts
Good luck, electrical issues are not fun to diagnose but pretty rewarding once they're fixed...but frustrating because it could be a single broken wire somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm not seeing any broken wires or bad fuses/bad grounds getting power to everything. Could it be possible the ecu is just done?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test light to wires probed through. Don't have a voltmeter. And there is no wires pinched or freyed that i came across

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I did and all the fuses were checked as well so I guess i'm going to try to find an ecu with the matching ignition and key so i don't have to deal with the immobilizer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK just a lil advice here I work on macks and freight liners for a living I had a horn issue once that horn fuse was showing power and everything out to the horn wire itself was showing power with a matco test light so I put two new horns and still couldn't get horn to work so I checked grounds with a dvom and had good grounds however when I checked voltage with the dvom I was getting 12v but only .25 of an amp turned out to be the relay was weak just some fyi try checking voltage with a dvom as well as amperage and resistance drop

·
Spring King
4,967 Posts
Maybe verify too that you have the right wiring diagram? It can change over the years and the pins won't always match up.

Good luck, electrical issues are not fun to diagnose
Agreed! FWIW you will hate solving this problem but learn a lot along the way.

If you believe the ECU is getting power to it, is there anything you can check from the ECU outbound to be sure it's on and responding? If there's nothing coming out, it's either not getting power like you think (there could be multiple inbound power wires, FYI) or it's actually dead (unlikely). If there's life from it, but not life to the right things, then it's "not happy" for some reason. Either not getting input to be told that it needs to fire up the fuel pump, or it's unwilling to do so because of something like an immobilizer tripping it. Also keep in mind there's a 2nd brain of sorts in these cars, "ETACS" or something close to that, that you may have to check out as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going through something similar to this. Replacing the ECU/Immobilizer and getting my key recoded. If that doesn't fix it, taking it to a shop. An ECU at a u-pull-it with the immobilizer is like $30

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies. All the information gives me a stronger ground to stand on and will trying each step to rule out the situation. Did not know about the ETACS! Going to look into that a little more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts