Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
498 Posts
Just disconnect your battery for about ten minutes to reset the ECU, then take a drive on the highway for the ECU to relearn the correct trim levels for the CAI. I personally wouldn't worry about getting it "tuned" unless I was also changing out the headers and exhaust, along with the CAI. Getting it tuned just for the CAI is probably a waste of money...

or buy a performance chip from ebay!!! LOL

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
498 Posts
I don't think the fuel trims will change. You'll be getting more air before the MAF, not after it, so the fuel trim won't have to adjust.
If what you say is true, then the MAF would be acting as a air "restrictor" rather than a "sensor."
I'm not really sure that a CAI is designed to increase air flow anyway, unless the filter material of the cone filter is more porous than the stock air filter. I think its more designed to simply lower the temperature of the air entering the TB.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
498 Posts
Sorry to drag this on more but had an interesting observation on this. I got the Spyder out yesterday. It is warm and sunny here. It was almost 90 deg, I had to go to a neighboring town to a doctor's appointment. The car has now settled down to a very even idle at about 700 rpm. The interesting part is when I first fixed the EGR problem and got it smogged it would smell very HOT under the hood after driving it a while. After re-setting the trims [50+miles later] the hot smell is now gone and the throttle response is "spot on". My THEORY is it was a bit lean after reconnecting the EGR, and adding the CAI. The re-setting the trims corrected that. Looks to me like the factory has these set up on a very thin margin mixture wise.
Just a theory mind you. ...J.D.
I have a WAI setup...well technically I just removed the filter box and replaced with big fat K&N cone filter and got rid of tubing by the radiator. I did not get a noticable increase in throttle response, just a louder engine, right after that mod, but I did notice a difference when I started to consistently use high octane 92+
Someday I'll get around to swapping the intake tubing that came in the kit and wrapping it with heat shield tape, then getting a heat shield shroud for the filter. Probably a waste of time, but should "LOOK" better, anyway!

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
498 Posts
Probably does not do much just to change out the air box. Just more noise. Really need to draw air in from outside the engine room. Where I live the ambient air in the summer is well over 100deg.F in the daytime almost all summer long. Under hood temps get "out of sight". Someday when I am bored I'll tape a remote digital thermometer under the hood and put the meter in the driver's compartment. Would be interesting to see just how hot it gets. The 92 octane surely cannot hurt though. ...J.D.
I remember the first thing I did when I moved to Las Vegas was put an oil cooler on my Harley and heavier oil in my Fiero GT, along with high temp batteries.
I predict that more 6G72 owners will be posting problems due to using low octane to try to save on gas, which would be a big mistake...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts