Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: This problem has been resolved. Thank you to everyone who helped

2001 sportronic GT with 145,000 miles. After market air intake is only mod.

I took out the silver plate that has P,R,N,D on it so that i paint it black. I got it all put back together and now the button on the shift knob has no resistance and clicking the button does not allow me to shift into any other gears. I took the knob back off and i can push that white stick looking thing down and shift that way but i dont want to have to do that. I looked inside the knob and i can see the wedge looking piece slide in as i push and then slide back as i let go of the button. And i know i had the knob down as far as it was before because the holes for the screws lined up when i was putting it back on. And the button does spring back out after being pressed. It seems like the little white stick is too short all of a sudden or something?

My guess at this point is that i managed to snap the top of that little white stick off. Looking at it, it does not look like it got snapped at all and i cant find any little white piece of the stick anywhere.

I guess what im looking to find out is
1: Would there be any other reason that the small white stick is shorter all of a sudden?
2: Is there a way to make that stick taller again if i have snapped a small piece of it off?

·
FeelsGoodToBeGangsta
1,617 Posts
How far does the stick extend past the metal housing that it goes into?

Can you remove the black wedge looking thing inside the shifter? You can jam something in there like a cm of toothpick or something like that in diameter, I'm referring to the hole inside the black plastic piece where the white stick goes into

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How far does the stick extend past the metal housing that it goes into?

Can you remove the black wedge looking thing inside the shifter? You can jam something in there like a cm of toothpick or something like that in diameter, I'm referring to the hole inside the black plastic piece where the white stick goes into
It sticks out an 1 1/3 inch it looks like

And the toothpick idea is pretty good. I actually just had an idea come to me when i was looking at this pen on my desk. Im going to cut off the end of the ink tube inside the pen and use that. They look like they have the same circumfrence so hopefully that'll work

·
FeelsGoodToBeGangsta
1,617 Posts
Doesn't look like it's broken! Even better, the pen tube should work well.

Also another common sense thing, the black wedge only goes one way. The angle side has to face the button in order to work

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Doesn't look like it's broken! Even better, the pen tube should work well.

Also another common sense thing, the black wedge only goes one way. The angle side has to face the button in order to work
The plastic wedge inside may have flipped over? basically what your saying is that now when i press the button a flat surface slides across the top of the plastic stick instead of the slanted side?

EDIT: Checked it and the wedge is facing the way its suppose to be.

Could someone with an auto trans please take off their shift knob and snap a picture for me so i know how long that white stick is suppose to be sticking out? or better yet, just run outside with a ruler and measure it for me??

·
FeelsGoodToBeGangsta
1,617 Posts
I would measure it but my Eclipse is long gone. Can you still shift just by pushing on the plastic piece?

Oh not flipped that way, left-right flip, not vertical flip. But if it didn't fall out it couldn't have gotten messed up

c[/|]

^yes that's the shifter :lol: The c is the button and the slant of the wedge faces the button

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice shifter lol. And yes, it is facing that way.

I can still press down on the little white stick if i wanna drive so its not an immediate problem, id just rather not be pressing down on a little white stick later on tonight when i have a lady in my car with me lmao

This thread has been viewed 26 times, some one else has to still have thier 3g and be willing to do a quick measurement for me

·
FeelsGoodToBeGangsta
1,617 Posts
Nice shifter lol. And yes, it is facing that way.

I can still press down on the little white stick if i wanna drive so its not an immediate problem, id just rather not be pressing down on a little white stick later on tonight when i have a lady in my car with me lmao

This thread has been viewed 26 times, some one else has to still have thier 3g and be willing to do a quick measurement for me
:lol:

This is just killing me, how something so simple just can't be solved. There's also the mechanism at the brake pedal that releases the shifter when the brake pedal is depressed slightly, you could look at that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:lol:

This is just killing me, how something so simple just can't be solved. There's also the mechanism at the brake pedal that releases the shifter when the brake pedal is depressed slightly, you could look at that.

Yeah, that whole shift lock mechanism, i know what your talking about. I can still shift it into Drive i just have to push on that little white straw looking thing every time now. I wonder if i can buy a "replacement straw" at the stealership if i need to.

fml, i probably have the simplest issue here in the problem reports section :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm going to be out by the car today. While I'm out there I'll nab a snapshot for you.

:yesway:
You could even just measure it for me to save the extra work. Thank you.

Im gonna go look at it and see if there is a way to remove the white stick and replace it if need be. The pen tubne idea didnt work and i tried melting the 2 ends together, super glue, and neither worked.

EDIT: I really wonder if i can just buy an aftermarket shift knob that has the button on top? That way it shouldnt matter how short the stick is because your pushing straight down and not sideways like the stock shift knob. If anyone has some insight on an aftermarket knob that would do this succesfully please let me know

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since the ruler i used had a space at the bottom it looks like theyre both the same length..... Maybe my shift knob is broken some magical how? hmmmmm..... :dunno:

Im gonna go buy some cheap universal knob at autozone real quick and see if it works. This is so weird becuase i stuck a pen tube in the shift knob and pressed the button and it would push the pen tube downwards like it would normally do to the white shifting stick. :facepalm:

EDIT: turns out autozone, oreillys, and pepboys arent fans of automatic shift knobs, im gonna have to buy one on the internet. I really hope this works

·
Valor is eternal....
249 Posts
This is foiling me as well. Did the know work correctly before you removed it? Is there a way you can get that little plastic wedge out - mine fell out when I removed mine to check it for you.

There's no salvage yard near you that you might be able to yank a shift knob from?

I sincerely wish I had more info for you, but the shift knob is something I've not researched much into yet. XD

·
Registered
85 Posts
in the past i took my shifter off too, just to see how it worked (curiosity killed the cat) my wedge fell out and i dint realize, thn i put it in backwards lol, but i guess what im getting at is maybe u have some type of problem bcus its sticking, because someone else mentioned theres just fell out too

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This is foiling me as well. Did the know work correctly before you removed it? Is there a way you can get that little plastic wedge out - mine fell out when I removed mine to check it for you.

There's no salvage yard near you that you might be able to yank a shift knob from?

I sincerely wish I had more info for you, but the shift knob is something I've not researched much into yet. XD
It was working before i removed it, and what did this wedge piece look like? i can see a sloped piece inside moving back and forth when i push the button but it doesnt fall out for me. Even if i shake the shift knob it stays in there so maybe theres another piece i never realized was in there that i lost? Got a picture of the piece that fell out? lol sorry to bug you for all these pictures but it helps alot, i appreciate it

EDIT: I did a SERIOUS search for a missing piece and after lifting up the carpet on the passenger side I found it. It managed to fall under there after i had removed the center console and slide half way to the door.... how? I couldnt tell you :facepalm: Thank you guys for all your help on such a stupid issue lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
My white stick broke and I was able to super glue it and still use the shifter but last night it broke again and could not get the super glue to hold and was using a screwdriver to push the white stick down in order to shift however this am that no longer is working and I can't get my car out of park.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts