Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 GS Sporty. Today i was driving home weaving through traffic, just having a little fun.. wasnt even going like 60. anyways , all of sudden my SRS light comes on and my "D" light turns off and my 1,2,3,4 Gears turn off. As in the Green Highlight around the "D" and gear # turned off. when i came to the stop sign, my car was accelerating very very slow, couldnt shift gears or see what gear i was in, Nothing at all! im gonna take it to the shop sometime this week. But i just wanted to ask if anyone can give me an idea what may be the problem?

ThankS

·
Douchecanoe
1,729 Posts
First thought for the lights going out would be to check the fuses but other than that, no idea. It kind out sounds like it was stuck in whatever gear you were in last - I remember I tried starting in 2nd and it was slow. I have no idea if it's possible, but just a retarded thought :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, well everytime i put it in drive or reverse, it jolts itself. Even when i put it into manual shift mode, i cant even shift into the gears, i can only stay in drive, and its very sluggish and slow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, i did check all the fuses and they seem to all be fine. I did get a transmission flush at 60k, right now i have 90k. would i need to get it reflushed?

Thanks for all the help guys :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like your transmission's computer has defaulted to the failsafe mode. Might be because of a major shift problem or a bad gear, it's hard to tell without pulling the codes from the computer.

Failsafe mode will leave the transmission in 2nd or 3rd gear to prevent any further damage to itself and allow you to move the vehicle off the road. Even shifting into the sport mode manually, will not allow you to change gears. Usually the N position will flash if the car is in failsafe mode.

SRS light?
That's your Supplemental Restraint System, or your airbag and seatbelt system. I think you mean the SES light, or Service Engine Soon. Either way, it means you have a code you need to read with a code scanner.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright, so the mechanic says my tranny is done for. He said he'd order me a JDM tranny with 40k on it and install it for $1400. fair deal?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
No, do not put a "JDM" transmission in your Eclipse. The PCM knows what the gear ratios are and will pop a code and throw the new transmission into fail safe mode when it sees different gear ratios and interprets it as slipping.

·
NorCal3G
1,560 Posts
Id would assume it has something to do with the failsafe mode that DarkBring01 mentioned

I driven my managers car 'SLK230 Kompressor' It also had the SES light on and he did mention it doesnt get up n go anymore. These cars are supercharged, but I would assume the computer shutoff the supercharger because of the SES light that was probably tied to the supercharger to 'prevent damage.'

Get the codes read and tell us.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
^probably is swapping one, the mechanic probably got some lingo mixed up. there's no way there's a JDM 3G, hell a good part of the car is Chrysler parts, right?

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Yup, the ST-22 platform. At the same time though, the older Eclipses were also based on Chrysler platforms (the DSM that people use to refer to 2Gs (some also consider 1Gs to be DSM iirc) means Diamond Star Motors, which was a collaboration between Mitsubishi (the diamond) and Chrysler (the star)), no generation of Eclipse was ever sold in Japan (except second hand for whatever reason). Hell, the Eagle Talon is basically the same car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea you're right,i was pretty sure there wasnt such thing as jdm parts for our eclipses, lol. I know im getting overpriced for the transmission VS buying from ebay id only be saving like $150 but i just want my car fixed asap and plus my parents are helping to pitch in a little bit so eh not tooooooooo bad. So the updated actual repair bill is $1,580... dammmmn so expensive!

i think i may try selling my car this summer once everythings fixed.................i wonder how much i could sell it for, with 96k est. at that time..:scratch:

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Did you try reseting the ECU to see if that has any effect? Also checking fuses and any of that stuff. It just still doesn't click on my head that your trans died but for some reason your lights also went out for the speedometer. Something is just not right in the hole "resolution" or "diagnosed problem".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the mechanic took it for a quick drive and he said it def. is slipping. It kind of feels like when you are pressing the gas the car is struggling to move. Kinda like its trying to move on air..if you know what i mean. i did check all fuses b4 i took it to the shop, all was good. i guesss all i can do is just wait and see what happens in a few days. Thx for the help y'all

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright, my car is STILL in the shop since the beginning of this month. Comin close to a whole month now. ive already paid the shop in full. Its about a week past due. And all 3 mechanics have told me there having a huge problem. They said the tranny they replace works now, so mechanically speaking my car seems fine now. BUT what there having problems with is getting the Tiptronic to work now?...on the cluster, the "P" "R" "N" "D" than "1" "2" "3" "4" dont light up green like there supposed to..if you know what im talking about. They did turn off when my tranny died, and there not coming back on now that the tranny has been replaced. The mechanics have gone through taking apart my dash and cluster down to every wire to find what wrong...any ideas? i dont get my car back till thats fixed...:ugh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts