Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. I have a 2 part question. The first is that i have recently noticed that my temperature gague starts to get closer to hot as I am idling for a while and then as I accelerate, it drops back down to normal. Does anyone have any idea as to what this may be caused by?
Secondly I have very recently started hearing a tick-tick-tick noise coming from my engine bay on the right side of the engine. It sounds almost just to the right of the intake manifold. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this noise?

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
It sounds like you have a bubble in your cooling system. Try burping it. Also, try doing a search on overheating issues. For the second problem it might be a blown engine mount. Once again, do a search on these problems because they have been discussed before.

·
Registered
750 Posts
yeah, you should definatley purge your coolant system. And the ticking noise is common with the 3g eclipse, pretty much everyones makes that noise. There is a product called Seafoam which reduces carbon build-up and will reduce the tick a little bit, but its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Search...:wallbash:

The cooling system is hopefully just from air in your system...burp it...if it doesn't go away, your water pump may be going out.

The ticking is probably lifter tap...very common also...

Both of these topics have been covered to great detail lately...spend some time searching and you'll learn all about how to fix them...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this same problem with my 00 GT. I had a small crack in my radiator and had to have it replaced... Once I did that, I haven't had any issues since.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Secondly I have very recently started hearing a tick-tick-tick noise coming from my engine bay on the right side of the engine. It sounds almost just to the right of the intake manifold. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this noise?
To the right of the manifold.... :scratch: Where the battery is or closer to the throttle body? I can only thing of a few possibilities:
1) IAC motor on the bottom of the throttle body.
2) Relays in the junction/fuse block.
3) Lifter tick but that should be more from the valve cover area. I guess it could be coming from cylinder 5 (located under the intake manifold and closest to the battery).

Seafoam may help with the ticking IF it is lifter tick. If its the IAC that should stop on its own. If its a relay then the relay should be replaced (and one of your accessories would ot be working....something like foglights).

As for your engine temp issue: As stated, burp the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi everyone new member here. I have a 00 eclipse gt and my car started to make a hissing sound when I accelerate. it starts around 3200rpm's and gets louder the higher my rpm's go. is it a vacumm leak or something worse?

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
hi everyone new member here. I have a 00 eclipse gt and my car started to make a hissing sound when I accelerate. it starts around 3200rpm's and gets louder the higher my rpm's go. is it a vacumm leak or something worse?
Assuming you have a factory air intake, I'd check that first. Follow it from the mouth, through the filter and up to the throttle. See if there are any fasteners missing, especially in the front. Sometimes, the front mounting peg gets loose, falls out and causes the plastic opening up front to collapse under high RPMS and this creates a hissing sound and a loss of power. Also, make sure that your air filter housing is securely latched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok I forgot to mention, I have an AEM CAI and I don't feel any loss of power. It sounds like I have a turbo sucking in air. I checked my vacumm lines visually and I don't see any cracks or dry rotting. The hissing sound is getting on my nerves.

·
the tower......
342 Posts
is the hissing sound only when you step on the throttle going down the road?or is it at an idle as well? where does it seem like it's coming from?

as for the heating problem...if it's just sitting at an idle,as it gets hotter does the fan come on? or does it just continue to get hot? could be an air bubble...could be your electric fan took a crap...check to make sure that fan is running as well.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
the hissing sound only happens when I'm driving. I hear it as my rpm's reach about 3200 and it gets louder the higher my rpm's go. It sounds like it's coming from under my hood. My intake is usually starting to kick in at about 3200 rpm's, so I'm thinking it might be the intake, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna change the rubber elbow where the pipe connects to the throttle body. My filter is clean, I clean it every 6 months with a K&N recharge kit. I've just never heard this sound b4.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
the hissing sound only happens when I'm driving. I hear it as my rpm's reach about 3200 and it gets louder the higher my rpm's go. It sounds like it's coming from under my hood. My intake is usually starting to kick in at about 3200 rpm's, so I'm thinking it might be the intake, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna change the rubber elbow where the pipe connects to the throttle body. My filter is clean, I clean it every 6 months with a K&N recharge kit. I've just never heard this sound b4.
I can't recall my stock intake hissing, but I know for damn sure my AEM had a high pitch wistle throughout some point in my RPMs.
Btw, your intake never 'starts kicking in'. That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i just had the same thing happen. as i was in idle my temperature rose. then went down. so i pop the hood. and at first i thought the fans were out. but they worked, and i revved the engine to heat it up to see whats up.. and little bubbles started coming out of this crack..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts