Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 03 Gt for pretty cheap. Was told the battery got hooked up backwards and blew a lot of fuses and sensors. So with that being said I checked the ecu seems fine to my knowledge have changed out the cam and crank sensor all the 02 sensors alternator going in tonight and replaced all the fuses. I replaced the fusible link on the positive side of the battery as well and replacing a rusted out ground cable connected to the frame. Question is where else should I be checking to make sure everything is good to go before trying to start it

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
829 Posts
Bought a 03 Gt for pretty cheap. Was told the battery got hooked up backwards and blew a lot of fuses and sensors. So with that being said I checked the ecu seems fine to my knowledge have changed out the cam and crank sensor all the 02 sensors alternator going in tonight and replaced all the fuses. I replaced the fusible link on the positive side of the battery as well and replacing a rusted out ground cable connected to the frame. Question is where else should I be checking to make sure everything is good to go before trying to start it
Since the "relays" are more expensive, it's probably safe to try starting the car without replacing them at this point. No more damage likely, unless there are melted wires somewhere that would need repair.
And definitely get battery tested before hooking back up.

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks yea I got a new battery as well got the car cheap only about 400 into it with my discount from work. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t over looking anything as I am new to this car

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
Did you adjust the throttle cable by moving the bracket on the back top of the intake plenum? That's ok, but you should only move it enough so there's no slack, and no tension or very little tension. You don't want to use that bracket to correct for a low idle. That's the idle air controller's job.

Do you have any codes or other indicators why the engine shut off? It may take a couple of drive cycles for the ECM to get all its settings stablized. So unless you have a check engine light or some other indicator of a problem, I'd start driving the car.

Also, it sounds like you have a loose belt or squeaky pully. You should figure that out before it becomes a bigger problem.

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I reused the old belt from the alternator waiting on getting the proper one from work ordered it last night. The CES was for 02 sensor and crank and cam sensor was all that showed so it’s what I replaced so far.

after letting it idle for about 20 mins to let it warm up and get the fluids moving through the engine as I dont Know the last time it was started I thought to go safe and give it time. She cut off and hasn’t restarted since so back to the drawing board any ideas?

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
You mean you've tried to restart it but it won't run? Are you still getting the P0135 and P0140 codes? You said you replaced the camshaft position sensor; do you mean you replaced the whole distributor? Or did you truly disassemble the distributor and replace just the camshaft position sensor?

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the whole unit. Didn’t wanna try and disassemble the distributor just for a sensor. Still no codes. Going to take a look at the crank sensor and see if got frayed on the belt when I get home. I’ll update in the morning starting to get cold In Illinois now and heater went out in the garage I’ll also make a new video of what it’s doing while trying to start if that would help with any ideas

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
680 Posts
After you get the throttle cable sorted, you might want to get the base idle speed set. You probabily have no idea what has been done to it in the past. WITH THE ENGINE OFF turn the idle bypass [BISS screw] clockwise until it is GENTLY seated fully closed. Then turn it back out [counter clockwise] 1 1/2 turns. That is it's base setting. Yes it would be nice to have all the fancy factory tools to do this right, but that should be close enough. Next disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour or so. Then reconnect it and try a restart. If all is normal, it will idle pretty fast at first and drop down to a warm idle that will be a bit off. With each subsuquent cold restart it should correct it's idle a bit. You may have other issues, but this should help get things closer to normal. ...J.D.

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After you get the throttle cable sorted, you might want to get the base idle speed set. You probabily have no idea what has been done to it in the past. WITH THE ENGINE OFF turn the idle bypass [BISS screw] clockwise until it is GENTLY seated fully closed. Then turn it back out [counter clockwise] 1 1/2 turns. That is it's base setting. Yes it would be nice to have all the fancy factory tools to do this right, but that should be close enough. Next disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour or so. Then reconnect it and try a restart. If all is normal, it will idle pretty fast at first and drop down to a warm idle that will be a bit off. With each subsuquent cold restart it should correct it's idle a bit. You may have other issues, but this should help get things closer to normal. ...J.D.
thanks I’ll look into it when I get home. Looked down at the crank sensor that I just got and I didn’t follow the bracket out the right way. So needless to say it got the brunt end of the timing belt while idling. Put a new one in today and she fired right back up. Going to drive her tonight to get the sensor broken in. Next step is to do the timing belt afterdoing some more research for the process

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye only got a vacuum leak coming from somewhere I am trying to figure out but I am thinking just going to just put new lines in and follow the diagram to see what was causing it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts