Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I just bought a Sanyo 50" plasma yes from walmart and it died yesterday. it was only a month and a half old. luckly walmart has a 90 day return policy. I returned it but now my problem is what to replace it with. I dont think I want another plasma but maybe mine was a fluke I dunno. here are my options
47" LCD to stay in price range.
65" DLP rear projection I think toshiba (if I get this do I need to worry about burn in??) from circuit city 30 day return policy
another plasma??
I dont want to spend more then 2K so please give me some suggestions.

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had any banding problems with the sharps?? I have been readings up on an av forum and it seems that lots of people have. I think I have decided to spend a little extra cash and go with a 52" philips from what I have read there are very few complaints about it. I will get it from Sam's club they have an excellent return policy. thanks

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Have you had any banding problems with the sharps?? I have been readings up on an av forum and it seems that lots of people have.

I have not noticed any banding during normal viewing nor do I have any dead pixels. I read AVS before buying(as I normally do) also and I was a little leary. But the TV is perfect for me.

Some of them people on AVS are what I would call "picturephobes". For all I know if I put in a test CD and crank the settings to max I might see some issue. But that doesnt matter to me as it looks perfect under normal viewing. Also I read on AVS sharp was really good with techs coming to your house for problems and also exchanges. Then again I did order mine directly from sharp during the friends and family deal. If you get it instore you should have whoever test it before you take it.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
DLP burn in???

I have a Samsung DLP 50". Love it. Getting a 32" LCD or Plasma for the bedroom next week (after christmas sales)

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
I take back the burn in comment, after doing some checking it apparently doesnt exist anymore( if ever). I was thinking color wheel

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Neg on the burn-in. Unpossible. Rainbow effect, yes, but that is caused by a spinning color wheel and our eyes ( I see it, some don't).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not noticed any banding during normal viewing nor do I have any dead pixels. I read AVS before buying(as I normally do) also and I was a little leary. But the TV is perfect for me.

Some of them people on AVS are what I would call "picturephobes". For all I know if I put in a test CD and crank the settings to max I might see some issue. But that doesnt matter to me as it looks perfect under normal viewing. Also I read on AVS sharp was really good with techs coming to your house for problems and also exchanges. Then again I did order mine directly from sharp during the friends and family deal. If you get it instore you should have whoever test it before you take it.
I have to agree with the picture phobes but I have read about banding on other sites too. the conclusion I have come to is that no matter what you buy one person will praise it and another person will down it. thats why I chose to get it from sams no matter which one I buy they will take it back several months down the road I plan to check them both out at Sams tomorrow they have the sharp also.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
I take back the burn in comment, after doing some checking it apparently doesnt exist anymore( if ever)
Neg on the burn-in. Unpossible. Rainbow effect, yes, but that is caused by a spinning color wheel and our eyes ( I see it, some don't).
I didn't think burn in was really an issue anymore with any decent HD set (DLP, plasma, LCD).

I have never seen the rainbow effect people describe, but I do know people that can see it. Check it out for yourself when you go to the store.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Burn in is very present in the Plasmas. They have a built in function to 'eliminate' it, but in reality all it does is crank up the brightness very high to even out the burning. Brand spanking new Panasonic plasma in the office showing news all day and we're starting to see the CNN logo :) On DLP the problem lies with the bulbs, they lose brightness after a while. Manufacturers quote hundreds of hours lifetime, but that's in controlled environment. In hot places, they burn a lot faster. What's the effect? Picture lose brightness, color shifts towards slight yellow, etc...

I personally have a Samsung LCD - LNT4065F. Damned good TV for the price, probably closer to $1200 now? Probably less, I got it 7 months ago for $1500. Initially had HDMI issues, but later board and firmware revisions fixed it and damn their support was excellent. Called Monday, on-site Wednesday with the fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts