Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the ems was supposed to be plug and play, check a few boxes and have a perfect tune. I'm lost, how do I tune my car for a 1st gear 8.5psi, and 2-5 14psi, with an Aeromotive FPR + 577cc injectors, AEM MAP Sensor, and IAT Sensor.

I'll answer my own questions at least by saying I know I have to install the EMS, wire up the MAP sensor, change my intake piping to remove the MAF and replace it with an IAT sensor. and install the Aeromotive FPR in place of my lazy Vortech SFMU and rising rate injectors, install the 577cc new injectors and clips/wire them up. and probably run new fuel lines. but from there

but from the loading the .cal for the 2.4L Manual Eclipse, I'm trying to figure out how to build a computer file to make the car not go boom but, lots of boost, no idea how to use the AEM software yet, I thought it came with a setup wizard?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm pretty sure it takes a bit of time to get the right tune down. There are quite a few different maps you have control over. So there is a lot of setup involved, but that's the good thing about the EMS, you have complete control.

Do you have a wideband or access to a dyno? You'll need one of them to start tuning.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
:lol: Who has been lieing to you?
It doesnt work that easily at all. Its quite the opposite if you dont know what you're doing and could be impossible to ever make it run right if you dont have experience with the software.

Id recommend you take it to a reputable tuner.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
:lol: Who has been lieing to you?
It doesnt work that easily at all. Its quite the opposite if you dont know what you're doing and could be impossible to ever make it run right if you dont have experience with the software.

Id recommend you take it to a reputable tuner.
Then he'll never learn. :wiggle:

I mean, you did your own tune right? And you didnt' always know everything about the AEM software. You learned..... right?

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
Then he'll never learn. :wiggle:

I mean, you did your own tune right? And you didnt' always know everything about the AEM software. You learned..... right?
My tuning skills with AEMPro are pretty limited...
Yes, I learned, from someone who knew what they were doing.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
My tuning skills with AEMPro are pretty limited...
Yes, I learned, from someone who knew what they were doing.
sweet, you had a mentor. :bigthumb:

I also had help to get me going with ECUflash (LOGIC, flash, and another member that remains nameless). And it would have taken me forever if I had to learn by trial and error. I did read every bit of info I could, over several forums. It still took me several months to get my tuning "right". But, I never actually spend a bunch of time. Its like 20 minutes one day, then a week later another 30 minutes.

:wiggle: I see what your saying about having a shop do it, because in the worst case scenario, you break your engine, which would suck balls :( . But on the other hand, the best case scenario is you take time and learn to do it through research and practical experience. :)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
the best way to probably learn is to take the car to a shop that can tune. talk with the tuner and while it is on the dyno have him explain the things he is doing and how and what it affects. then have him get your car running, with a rough tune. and then you can try to take it from there.

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my car. I had everything mechanically and electrically set up when I realized I had no idea how to calibrate the EMS. I had a professional tuner build me a startup calibration. Amazingly, the calibration he sent me got my car started right away. If I hadn't contacted him, my car still probably wouldn't run to this day.

But if you want to build your own startup calibration, you're going to need to make a lot of changes. For starters, you're going to want to configure the units of the program if you haven't done so already. I think the AEMPro software defaults your AFR units to diesel or methanol or some shit, so change it to gasoline, and your pressure units to whatever you prefer (I use PSI). After you've run the wizards for all of the sensors you have installed (MAP, IAT, O2, etc) and checked the Speed Density option, you're going to want to rescale your fuel map. Click on the Fuel template button on the toolbar and right click on the fuel table. You should be able to rescale the fuel map to fit your injector size. At this point, I suppose you could try to start your car.

Even if it actually starts, I would highly recommend NOT driving it. There are a ton of other things you will need to configure before your car will right--and safely--such as O2 Sensor Feedback (the EMS's version of closed loop), the fuel map, boost comp (if you choose this route), the ignition map, etc, etc. I can send you my calibration when I get home later, and your car might start, but there is no substitute for having a professional tuner walk you through the software and tell you why they make the changes they do. You'll learn much faster this way rather than learning the EMS by trial and error on your motors.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Wow... Having used AEMPro a good amount now, I highly don't recommend you try to build yourself a base map. I've used the software extensively and I'm constantly learning new things with it.

The CAL pretty much just sets up the initial sensor config file. Your fueling and timing maps will completely need to be reworked. There are so many settings that need to be adjusted that no one other than an experienced EMS tuner should setup the base map and tune the car if you want a reliable tune.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Sweet, I know that 3SX here in NC has been trained by AEM, and so a special EMS tune, but it costs like 500-1500, which I guess isn't that much.

I am wondering how anybody passes inspection with the EMS, since its not OBDII compliant? I know that not all states have the check, but I am sure its still used in the ones that do.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
Sweet, I know that 3SX here in NC has been trained by AEM, and so a special EMS tune, but it costs like 500-1500, which I guess isn't that much.

I am wondering how anybody passes inspection with the EMS, since its not OBDII compliant? I know that not all states have the check, but I am sure its still used in the ones that do.
We recently got the OBDII checks added to the list of shit they check during a routine smog bullshit. Basically the only way to 'pass' is if you have a friend working on the inside. :cool2:

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I have a buddy that will overlook anything that he can, but I don't think he can hook up another car. He tells me "as long as your check engine light is not on, you'll pass"

I know that when we tested my tint, it came up 13% or so. And the legal limit here is like 30%. So, I got by on that one, but right now I am having trouble. The O2 sensor and EGR test are not being completed. They are not failing, just not even doing the test. I even pass the catalyst test.:scratch:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everyone should post their EMS .cal with corresponding specs so I can save $500!, or at least get the car started and drive it to the shop at have it fine tuned if necessary, so long as the air/fuel is safe.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
everyone should post their EMS .cal with corresponding specs so I can save $500!, or at least get the car started and drive it to the shop at have it fine tuned if necessary, so long as the air/fuel is safe.
WOW What a great idea....
We post our cals that we spent a good amount of money on and/or spent many many hours building, in order to save you money. Thats ingenius. However, im going to have to pass.

Besides, its unlikely that anyones cal will be make your car run right since every setup is different.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
WOW What a great idea....
We post our cals that we spent a good amount of money on and/or spent many many hours building, in order to save you money. Thats ingenius. However, im going to have to pass.

Besides, its unlikely that anyones cal will be make your car run right since every setup is different.
Isn't there anything thats like 3g specific, and not vehicle specific that you could help him out with? Just a thought. :)

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
OK, thats your guys' perogative. And I can see your view of it. Why should someone else get something that you worked hard for?

I feel different. Its not like if you share information you loose it. I have spent lots of time working out my tune, and I would quickly share it for the interest of the 3g community. I spent hours to figure out how to delete the immobilizer myself, and wouldn't think of charging or saying for people to figure it out themselves. I just think we 4g64 need all the help we can get to compete with other platforms, and we should help eachother.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts