Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey 3g, I’m pretty new here so please go easy on me.
A little bit of a background I started on a lemon ‘02 GS as my first vehicle in 2016. Died a month in. Cruised with an 08 Evo X until that got totaled late 2018.
This past summer I saw a primo ‘05 Spyder GT with 30k on the engine and it was a quick buy. Car has been running well and I’ve took and interest in doing my own work. I’ve been stalking these boards for any help I might need the past few weeks while adding my aftermarket things and this community has been great.

So my problem is I made the dumb mistake of buying aftermarket tails assuming 00-05 would all fit.
Obviously now I know 00-02 & 03-05 were different when it comes to the light assembly.
I have already purchased these and was curious what steps I would have to take to get them mounted and secure on my vehicle.

· Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
54 Posts
00-02 has 4 bolts to hold the tail light assembly while the 03+ have only 3; which you have figured out. You could cut the one bolt that your car doesn't have the hole for off and it should fit.

I would definitely recommend using something that can swivel (ratcheting swivel wrenches are my go to here) to secure the other 2 bolts as it is very difficult to get to. I've seen some aftermarket tails at the junkyard for 3G's that are barely hand tight with the 1 easy to access bolt secured tightly

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
00-02 has 4 bolts to hold the tail light assembly while the 03+ have only 3; which you have figured out. You could cut the one bolt that your car doesn't have the hole for off and it should fit.

I would definitely recommend using something that can swivel (ratcheting swivel wrenches are my go to here) to secure the other 2 bolts as it is very difficult to get to. I've seen some aftermarket tails at the junkyard for 3G's that are barely hand tight with the 1 easy to access bolt secured tightly
I appreciate the tips. They are still at home in the packaging I’m just trying to get a grip on my process for my days off tomorrow. Sadly my junk out here in Raleigh only had one 3G and it was an 01. I snatched the hood off it last week but now I’m curious if the harnesses on the back are also different from my model and if I should go grab those as well. Or I’d prefer to get them new if the price is right online.

· Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
54 Posts
I appreciate the tips. They are still at home in the packaging I’m just trying to get a grip on my process for my days off tomorrow. Sadly my junk out here in Raleigh only had one 3G and it was an 01. I snatched the hood off it last week but now I’m curious if the harnesses on the back are also different from my model and if I should go grab those as well. Or I’d prefer to get them new if the price is right online.
Harnesses for the tails are just like the 00-02 and 03+ different tail light bolts. Either harness will plug into the vehicle (regardless of year), but the lock rings on the bulb holders are different between the two. Meaning that if you were using the 00-02 bulb harness on the 03+ housing, they won't fit in the housing and vice versa.

The tails you bought should have a harness already with bulbs. If not, then you would need that harness from the vehicle at the junkyard if they are 00-02 tails

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harnesses for the tails are just like the 00-02 and 03+ different tail light bolts. Either harness will plug into the vehicle (regardless of year), but the lock rings on the bulb holders are different between the two. Meaning that if you were using the 00-02 bulb harness on the 03+ housing, they won't fit in the housing and vice versa.

The tails you bought should have a harness already with bulbs. If not, then you would need that harness from the vehicle at the junkyard if they are 00-02 tails
Okay so the aftermarket harnesses should plug straight into my OEMs regardless of the year. Only difference was that bolt?

· USN
1,086 Posts
You can modify the taillights to be able to use the same harness. You can try to search for something along the lines of 00-02 light in 03+ or check the garage or show and shine section. I think there is something somewhere talking about it.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
Appreciate ya partner!
Did you happen to buy LED aftermarket taillights? If so, you may need to do some rewiring. Ones I bought had brake and blinker wires reversed, so had to switch wires.
Also came with led limiters which are suppose to prevent hyperblinking, but they don't, at least not the cheap ones that were included. May need to buy other limiters, IDK. Also, the fourth unneeded bolt just unscrewed from the housing so I didn't need to cut it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you happen to buy LED aftermarket taillights? If so, you may need to do some rewiring. Ones I bought had brake and blinker wires reversed, so had to switch wires.
Also came with led limiters which are suppose to prevent hyperblinking, but they don't, at least not the cheap ones that were included. May need to buy other limiters, IDK. Also, the fourth unneeded bolt just unscrewed from the housing so I didn't need to cut it.
No I bought some normal smoked lens tails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts