Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. i have a 2003 GS 2.4L automatic, all stock. I'd like to get the ball rolling and start things off with a cold air intake, and i've looked at a few online, but i want to make sure i get the right one. could anybody help me out and lemme know which one is BEST for my ride? much appreciated...and stoked for finding/joing this website! :ndance:

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
AEM, or Injen. Your choice. Stay away from the POS ebay ones for like $30. A quality intake cost. Short ram or cold air doesn't really matter. Just be careful driving over large puddles with a cold air.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. ya from what i've read around here is that AEM and injen are the good ones, my concern is just getting the right one that fits mine, i've seen people arguing over how some dont fit when u have an automatic. i dunno why it would but it spooked me into holding off lol.

·
Kimosabe
1,006 Posts
cool. ya from what i've read around here is that AEM and injen are the good ones, my concern is just getting the right one that fits mine, i've seen people arguing over how some dont fit when u have an automatic. i dunno why it would but it spooked me into holding off lol.
Just get one made for an automatic...I just picked up an Injen cold air for mine and I love it, they don't make a short ram for the I4.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
on these cars an intake does next to nothing. honestly i have always made mine, just buy a couple pieces of aluminum and some quality couplers for a lot less.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
on these cars an intake does next to nothing. honestly i have always made mine, just buy a couple pieces of aluminum and some quality couplers for a lot less.
intake does nothing? hmmm interesting ill have to disagree with that statement

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
the stock intake isn't terrible and even on the v6 you gain maybe 6 hp tops. Better for sound then power. there's plenty of evidence on this forum to back it up, it's been known fro years.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
the stock intake isn't terrible and even on the v6 you gain maybe 6 hp tops. Better for sound then power. there's plenty of evidence on this forum to back it up, it's been known fro years.
I have to disagree with what your saying also. I have a 4 cylinder and an Injen cold air intake. I cut my 2 vents underneath my turn signals on both sides. A lot of air passes right into the very thin Injen filter while I'm driving because I have cut the vents off. Last time I checked, which was over a year ago, I gained 5 extra hp. I don't know about you but that's pretty good for the 4 banger 3G.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
so 6 hp tops untuned and then another 10hp with a tune. Sounds worth it to me

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
I have to disagree with what your saying also. I have a 4 cylinder and an Injen cold air intake. I cut my 2 vents underneath my turn signals on both sides. A lot of air passes right into the very thin Injen filter while I'm driving because I have cut the vents off. Last time I checked, which was over a year ago, I gained 5 extra hp. I don't know about you but that's pretty good for the 4 banger 3G.
Let's be serious. 5 horsepower? Do you really notice 5 horsepower? So the car now makes what 135 horsepower instead of 130? C'mon.

so 6 hp tops untuned and then another 10hp with a tune. Sounds worth it to me
To be fair he did say next to nothing so 6 horsepower would be next to nothing. :lol:

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
Let's be serious. 5 horsepower? Do you really notice 5 horsepower? So the car now makes what 135 horsepower instead of 130? C'mon.

To be fair he did say next to nothing so 6 horsepower would be next to nothing. :lol:
well you know how some people act over 6hp haha

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
my point exactly. in fact, stock with just a tune gives you 10 hp.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yes 5 extra hp lol manual makes a difference compared to the auto. Whoa Finesse49ers, I wish I had 135whp lol no, I always thought the stock 2000 manual gs comes with like 110-118whp stock? It does come with 154hp to the crank and 163lbs of torque, right? :dunno:

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Yes 5 extra hp lol manual makes a difference compared to auto. Whoa Finesse49ers, I wish I had 135whp lol no, I always thought the stock 2000 manual gs comes with like 120whp stock? It does come with 154hp to the crank and 163lbs of torque, right? :dunno:
The butt dyno is in full affect I see. I believe a 4G64 is advertised at 147hp so 130 to the wheels is close enough then add the 5hp from your intake. Still nothing you're going to notice, Corey stop it.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
the extra air from an intake makes the engine move more, thus "feeling" more powerful, when it's not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts