Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the alternator on my 2000 gs just went yesterday. i bought a reman only to find out i had a 2 pin volt regulator. thinking the parts house gave me the wrong one i went back with the alternator that i took out of my car and no one can find this type of alternator. after an exhaustive internet search i started thinking that someone before i owned the car hacked off the OE connector and used this one. well i just now got back from under my car. some a**hole mechanic in the past must have done just that. they did make it look factory with a 2 pin connector and everything. i had to peel back the plastic wire protector only to find the other two wires tucked away. is there a reason someone would do this?? does anyone in this forum know?? please help. my car ran fine before the alt went. should i rebuild the one i have or get the right one with a new connector??

·
Registered
63 Posts
The OEM alternators have a method to communicate with the ECU, this is so the ECU can raise idle speed when the alternator kicks on at idle. Both four and six cylinder Eclipse's use a 4 pin plug on the alternator. The following is purely speculation...

Two wires are for the regulator and the other two are to the ECU.
A generic alternator is significantly cheaper than one meant for our cars.
The mechanic either ordered the wrong one, ripped off the customer, was in a hurry, whatever and hacked the wrong one in.
If you checked your ODB, it would probably have a code for the alternator communications error (I forget the code).
Just my $.02. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks donniej, yeah i had been getting the P1500 code for alternator terminal fault. so everything is becoming clear. i'm leaning toward replacing the connector and getting the right alt. damn corner cutting mechanics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts