Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an app on the android market called "Torque" by IAN HAWKINS. over 50,000 downloads and 5 stars. It connects to OBD via a bluetooth adapter.

I wanted to see if anybody has experience with this app and what it could do for me (or us) beings that i'm going to be adding turbo to my 01 Spyder GS soon. Would it prevent me from having to buy certain equipment?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is an app on the android market called "Torque" by IAN HAWKINS. over 50,000 downloads and 5 stars. It connects to OBD via a bluetooth adapter.

I wanted to see if anybody has experience with this app and what it could do for me (or us) beings that i'm going to be adding turbo to my 01 Spyder GS soon. Would it prevent me from having to buy certain equipment?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Konfidence (and welcome btw, noticed it was your first post),
I've used Torque before but am probably not the "most" qualified to be telling you about this since there more knowledgeable people on this forum than myself. Anywho, from my experience, Torque is actually pretty cool. A lot of people recommend using one of the higher end OBD-II readers that has some type of USB connection on the end to connect to a computer or phone, but I decided to try one of the cheaper ones (Wireless/bluetooth Elm 327, check ebay or online for it (I try a lot of random things out, so feel free to ask me about anything)). It works oddly well, as in really well.

In combination with Torque, it's pretty damn close to real-time. There's probably a few milliseconds somewhere in difference, but you won't notice it. I sat and compared the rpm reader on torque with the cars, it was spot on, same with the tachometer. There are a few functions that don't quite work (such as g-force calculator, but could have just been my retarded phone), but it's pretty decent. You get about...6-8 different screens to set up, each one containing as many gauges on it as you want. You can edit the size of it (Small, medium, large) as well as the style it's shown (graph <box>, meter <circle>, and...something else). It's "supposed" to be able to clear C.E.L. codes, but I haven't tried that one yet. Regardless, I think you need a tactrix cable in order to do that. What else...

You can also change the design/layout/background. There aren't a TON of options, maybe about 8-15...forgot, sorry. But they're pretty decent, especially for a low priced program. When matched against DashCommand or other programs, yea, not as fantastic in design, but definitely a faster response time in terms of engine alignment and accuracy. And if you've got a turbo/will get one, there's a couple of different boost settings. There's also one really cool one that logs a TON of stuff...honestly need to find my phone and check it. If you have anything you want to ask, shoot me a pm or write here (pm's are better lol). It's just my :twocent:, so feel free to question anything I've said lol.

---edit--
FORGOT! Lol, no 'app' takes the place of anything you should get. I'm sure there's a few forums in here regarding what's best for monitoring your car (GS) in regards to a turbo set-up, but it will tell you most of the stuff a gauge set-up will give you.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
I actually just installed mine a week ago. I just bought a cheap bluetooth OBD2 and it works well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

I also bought the Torque Pro app, not sure if the differences in the app's are worth it, but it works well. If you like looking at stuff (Throttle, Volts, Vacuum, O2 sensor volts, Intake air temp, Coolant temp, etc.) then its worth it. I just use it as a OBD2 scanner, because my Check engine light is always one (due to my cat. converter), and just like to check if any new codes have popped up.

·
$$XL Music$$
200 Posts
I have the torque app pro with an ebay ElM bluetooth Adaptor...Works awesome...it helped me determine what was causing my previous evap leak ;) and data is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks! I just bought mine on amazon and I am looking foreword to it. Hopefully it'll help with my mystery issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts