Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you guys consider cool apps/games?
I just got an android phone so far here was I deemed good enough to keep from the store.

apps:
Places Directory - I had to use the QR code in link
google maps
advanced task killer
google sky map
barcode scanner
urbanspoon
live scores
texts from last night
FML
quick tip calculator
bump
dolphin browser
wheres my droid added 9/29

games:
air control lite
fruit ninja (paid)
find differences
paper toss
hangman classic
drill panic demo added 9/28
alchemy - this is really cool:yesway: addded 9/28
trap added 9/28. I remember this old school game from the PC
akinator (paid) 20 questions game added 9/28

Wallpapers
Seeds of life:lol: Live wallpaper (paid)

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unblock me is a keeper:yesway:
AK notepad is a keeper:yesway:
You should check out air control lite. its very addicting

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Google Shopper is better than any barcode app. You can do image recognition of product covers like books, DVD's, etc... etc... in addition to barcodes and it does a pretty good job.

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Google Shopper is better than any barcode app. You can do image recognition of product covers like books, DVD's, etc... etc... in addition to barcodes and it does a pretty good job.
I dont know exactly how to word this so... with the other barcode program I can take a picture of a "square barcode" that represents an android app which will let me download the app. Google shopper do that?

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Only downside to Google Shopper is that it doesn't do QR codes, so if I see one online, I have to use another app.

Games.. Many have already been mentioned. Here are some more.

Doodle Bowling - Fun graphics and good game physics.

MiniSquadron! LITE - Free (demo) version of an airplane game. Or get the paid version.

SHINOBI Barrage - Top-down scroller. Graphics aren't great, but gameplay is pretty good.

Apps that I've found useful:

AppBrain App Market - Makes it easier to manage my apps, and more importantly, is required for the next app...

Fast Web Installer - Browse for apps on your computer, then click on the "Install" button from the web to initiate install on your phone. No longer works with the updated Android Market, due to new market permissions.

Battery Watcher Widget - Much more detailed battery charge indicator than the default. There are many other similar widgets in the market, I just happen to have installed this one first.

Spare Parts - More detailed view of your battery usage stats.

handyCalc Calculator - More advanced calculator than the default, and has built-in conversion functionality.

Multicon Widget - Be able to store more shortcuts on your home screen.

³ - Very nice music player interface that will also download album art for free.

Google Voice - For now, I've only set it to be used for international calls (free calls to Canada), as the phone company sees GV numbers as landlines, so you lose mobile-to-mobile when using GV. I've also used it to replace Sprint's visual voicemail, as GV has voicemail transcription... although the transcription accuracy still needs a lot of work.

HiddenSSID Enabler - If you or someone you know choose not to broadcast your SSID, Android phones won't be able to see them. That's why an app like this is needed.

Tip Me (Tip Calculator) - Exactly what it says, except the interface is more "fun" (it's displayed as an old-school bill), and lets you set the sales tax percentage (useful if you live in a state where sales tax is required).

Lookout Mobile Security - Antivirus... which is probably not needed, but does offer some peace of mind. In addition, it will backup your calls, contacts, and photos. Can also be used as a GPS locator if your phone is lost or stolen, or if you misplace your phone at home, you can use the "scream" function.

Live Wallpapers

Mario Live Wallpaper - No longer available in the market, but can be downloaded from XDA Developers.

Aquarium Live Wallpaper - Free version. Tropical fish swim around, double-tap screen to feed. Paid version has more options.

Quads Live Wallpaper

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenn I dont broadcast my SSID, but I can still connect to mine without any additional apps:dunno:

also thanks for the battery stuff, didnt think about that

doodle bowling: Don't let the crudely drawn lines fool you, Doodle Bowling is a full fledged bowling game with realistic physics and scoring. There are over a dozen funky themes to unlock, from doodle to fire, arcade, chalk, cardboard and underwater just to name a few - we'll even let you bowl in outher space! (Galaxy S not yet supported) :(

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Glenn I dont broadcast my SSID, but I can still connect to mine without any additional apps:dunno:
I guess it might be device-specific, or perhaps Samsung added the functionality to the Galaxy S. All I know is that I couldn't connect to my brother's hidden SSID without it.

TE said:
doodle bowling: Don't let the crudely drawn lines fool you, Doodle Bowling is a full fledged bowling game with realistic physics and scoring. There are over a dozen funky themes to unlock, from doodle to fire, arcade, chalk, cardboard and underwater just to name a few - we'll even let you bowl in outher space! (Galaxy S not yet supported) :(
Since it's free, you can install it just to see if it works on your phone. There are some people in the comments sections who say it worked fine on their Galaxy S phone. YMMV.

Also, if you uninstall a paid app from the market within 24 hours of installing it, the price of the paid app will be refunded to you.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
By the way, I've read conflicting reports on the effectiveness/harm of task killers. So personally, I don't use them.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Updated current posts to include links to AppBrain for each available app that I can find. Repeat mentions were ignored.

For some, multiple apps were found, and since I can't figure out which one you mean, I didn't include the links.

Places Directory - If you mean "Places" from Google, it came with Google Maps. There's no separate installation for it, as far as I know. Otherwise, I can't figure out what app you're talking about.

Texts From Last Night - There are several available apps on the market. The official app is $0.99, and not rated as high as the free apps. Of the free apps, this one is rated slightly higher than the other. And then there's one that comes with a widget.

FML - Again, several apps are available, including an official one, except the official one isn't called "FML."

Sudoku Free - There's an app called "Sudoku Free," and another called "Sudoku (Free)." The latter is rated higher but voted on by fewer people. And of course there are plenty of other Sudoku apps.

Solitaire - Again, too many versions in the market. Which one?

Antivirus - Several in the market, but not one named exactly "Antivirus."

I dont know exactly how to word this so... with the other barcode program I can take a picture of a "square barcode" that represents an android app which will let me download the app. Google shopper do that?
Those are called QR codes. Google Goggles should be able to do that. ShopSavvy can read those, as well.

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks glenn I will update the other two of mine

By the way, I've read conflicting reports on the effectiveness/harm of task killers. So personally, I don't use them.
I find it hard to "close" apps on this phone. Makes it easy to see what battery hogs I am still using in the background that I can kill(yes I know I can go into task manager). Although the past couple days I just kill every app open at once. The phone restarts the ones it needs. I have not noticed any problems

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

This is from the guy who makes the "Fresh Rom" for Android.
So… the TL;DNR Version:
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
  • Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
  • A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
  • Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again.
  • Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
  • Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
  • The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
  • Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting “back” until it closes rather than hitting the “home” button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while.

Edit: I usually use Spare Parts to see if the phone actually goes into sleep mode or not after the phone's screen has been off for a while--Typically it should go into sleep mode after around two minutes of the screen going off, so if I suspect something is amiss, I check how long the phone's been awake, turn off the screen, wait 10 minutes, and if the awake time is only around 2 minutes longer than before, it means everything is normal, even if there seems to be a lot of apps still "open."

If, on the other hand, the phone remained awake for all of those extra 10 minutes, it means one (or more) of the apps is keeping the phone awake. That would be the only time I'd recommend a task killer of some sort. Try to figure out which one is keeping the phone from going to sleep, and if it's actually doing something you want it to do. If it's not, then kill it.

As for "Places Directory," it looks like Google has merged that app with the Google Maps app, as of a Google Maps update from about a month ago.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Also, check my post on how long my battery lasts, without using any task killers.
http://www.club3g.com/forum/2905184-post114.html

That was almost all in Wifi, however. I've noticed that the battery drains faster when on the mobile network than on Wifi.

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,426 Posts
Unblock me is a keeper:yesway:
AK notepad is a keeper:yesway:
You should check out air control lite. its very addicting
Agreed on air control lite. The game is very addicting.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,300 Posts
I might try some of these on an Android Tablet.

:lol: My uncle bought a Chinese knock-off 7" Android tablet - "E-Pad" for $180 :lol: He left it with me last weekend to figure it out for him :lol: My very first impression was the UI sucks ass :uh: After my first 20mins playing with it, I had to put it down and walk away from it before I threw it against a wall :lol:

·
Fear my erep power
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Added a few more to my original post. That alchemy thing is great.

1 - 20 of 394 Posts