Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to Angelo about a few things I had concerns about with my new SDS'd car, one of them being the strange rattling/clacking coming from the blower. He said this is NOT the normal supercharger break-in sound, then he asked me what type of oil I used. When I told him Mobil-One, he told me to go drain it and put in Castrol GTX. He said that superchargers don't work well with synthetic oils. I'm draining my oil now, and will let it drip while I sleep since I just got home from work. I'll post back up here after I change the oil and see if that makes any difference.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern now is what if the blower is damaged internally? I have never read ANYWHERE that you aren't supposed to use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Someone recently contacted Vortech directly about the issue of conventional oil versus synthetic. The Vortech rep said that either was acceptable in their units. I can't remember if I read that here or on the Ripp Power Pages, though.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
no it doesn't apply to turbos.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
npeifer said:
The regular oil makes the SDS quieter than if you use synthetic was what I was told. Also vortech says either will work but they recommend the regular oil.

x2

btw i have been running synth on my car and blower since i bought it and 80k later its still going good

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I changed the oil and put in the Castrol GTX, and it did absolutely nothing for the rattle coming from the blower. When I first crank the car, there is no rattle or anything, just the cool supercharger whine. After I drive the car though and get it warmed up good, the rattle starts coming from the blower. I don't like it very much.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to tigthen my belt and it didn't help either, it actually caused a sound to start coming from the belt side of things. Im' pretty frustrated.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
I would like to hear the technical reason for NOT using synth ….because I think it is prob BS.

Unless it’s something like “Our machining tolerances are poor so we need you to use a thicker oil to mask it.”

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
TrevMill said:
I tried to tigthen my belt and it didn't help either, it actually caused a sound to start coming from the belt side of things. Im' pretty frustrated.
Out of curiosity, if you rev'd the throttle body up a bit, does the noise start going away then when the RPMs come down it comes back? This is the exact same thing that was happening to Ryu's kit. Ross told me that it was normal break in noise "the gears have to mesh together..."

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tearstone said:
Out of curiosity, if you rev'd the throttle body up a bit, does the noise start going away then when the RPMs come down it comes back? This is the exact same thing that was happening to Ryu's kit. Ross told me that it was normal break in noise "the gears have to mesh together..."
That is exactly what is happening. The noise is pretty bad though, I can hear it inside the car and I don't like it.

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
TrevMill said:
I just spoke to Angelo about a few things I had concerns about with my new SDS'd car, one of them being the strange rattling/clacking coming from the blower. He said this is NOT the normal supercharger break-in sound, then he asked me what type of oil I used. When I told him Mobil-One, he told me to go drain it and put in Castrol GTX. He said that superchargers don't work well with synthetic oils. I'm draining my oil now, and will let it drip while I sleep since I just got home from work. I'll post back up here after I change the oil and see if that makes any difference.
You should NOT be using synthetic oil in a 3G at all Stock or FI.
I was told that by the Dealer when I first got my 3G.
Ive been using Castrol GTX since the 1st oil change and it payed
off.
When Angelo upgraded my pistons after running 12psi w/ water-meth on stock gutts the block was very clean and stock pistons were in great shape.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Kc2Buk said:
You should NOT be using synthetic oil in a 3G at all Stock or FI.
I was told that by the Dealer when I first got my 3G.
Ive been using Castrol GTX since the 1st oil change and it payed
off.
When Angelo upgraded my pistons after running 12psi w/ water-meth on stock gutts the block was very clean and stock pistons were in great shape.
Since when do you start trusting your dealer?? I have first hand seen the difference of how crappy conventional oil is over time versus synthetic. For example, I did a turbo install on a car that was 70K miles old, I dropped the oil pans and he had a nearly half the lower oil pan filled up with sludge. The underside of his internals, pickup line, splash shield were all discolored and there was a permenant glaze on everything and a permenant brown stain on the upper oil pan where the oil usually sits when the engine is off.

Any other car I have done has always used Synthetic and the insides of those oil pans had absolutely zero sludge and looked brand new. The proof is in the pudding, I have been and always will be a true believe in using synthetic and synthetic blends.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
ie like royal purple or mobil 1!! :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts