Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I know everyone and there mom has heard about the DOHC conversion, and everyone starts a post asking all kinds of the same questions, I am going to hopefully try and successfully do the conversion, possibly add a turbo, and post my status. A little bit about me, I am a senior mechanical engineering student at Washington University in St. Louis. I have owned my 2.4 eclipse for over five years and have done minor things such as; full kit, 18" excel rims, several different audio system set ups, full dash painted (with automotive paint, not rattle can), lighting, spoiler, cold air intake, lowered, new transmission and other things that just made my car either less reliable or harder to park, (i.e. replacing front bumper several times due to being to damn low). Well the reason I decided to tackle the DOHC conversion/turbo, is because I had already properly port matched and polished the SOHC head, and although I did notice a substantial power gain, I just hate the idea of SOHC, and I love to drive turbo cars. The purpose is not to try and make a drag car, but a daily driver with some balls. (If I want to go fast I’ll just hop on my bike.) I have already purchased most of the necessary components needed, but am trying to track down the harder to find parts, like the various gaskets. I went the hyundai route, because I found a head with less than 10,000 miles on it for $160. Rather than dick with replacing the timing components in the cramped engine bay, I went to the junk yard and pulled out a short block 4g64 with low miles, and put it on an engine stand, and will drop it in as one completed piece. As far as the turbo goes I got a tiny TE04H that I think is off of a shadow, or some other Dodge pos. However the price I paid for it justifies the means. (It was free.) Hopefully I will post some pics to show my progress thus far. Also as a side note a lot of these forums get crowded with a lot of bull shit and end up nasty, so please let’s try and keep the thread clean and respectful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
picture link

Lets see if this works. Here are a few pics of the materials I am working with.

I know that I should go get the engine degreased and media blasted but like I previously stated I am a student, and I do not have time as a luxury. I am trying to complete this before my wife gives birth to our first kid, in mid February.
Also, I wanted to give a quick shout-out to flashbluers, for putting together that sweet parts list. Saved me a lot of time, and also the people who have already done the swap and lended there helpful knowledge, i.e. napalm, dns, among others.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
What gaskets, and other "harder to find parts," are you having trouble finding a source for?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some weird reason none of the lower engine gaskets are available where I live. I have had to special order every single one. Right now I am going up and ordering the crankshaft/timing belt/balancing shaft gasket. I have also had a hell of a time tracking down an evo throttle body. Everyone I find they either want $200+ or are not willing to sell it separate from the intake manifold. Does anyone know for certain whether or not the stock eclipse throttle body will work? I bought a throttle body gasket for the eclipse and it fits perfectly on the evo manifold, I am just not certain it has all of the necessary vacuum lines. I also realize that the linkage is on the opposite side but I am very certain I could fab up a bracket to make it work.

Please no "AutoZone answers" if you don't know please don't post.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
For some weird reason none of the lower engine gaskets are available where I live. I have had to special order every single one. Right now I am going up and ordering the crankshaft/timing belt/balancing shaft gasket. I have also had a hell of a time tracking down an evo throttle body. Everyone I find they either want $200+ or are not willing to sell it separate from the intake manifold. Does anyone know for certain whether or not the stock eclipse throttle body will work? I bought a throttle body gasket for the eclipse and it fits perfectly on the evo manifold, I am just not certain it has all of the necessary vacuum lines. I also realize that the linkage is on the opposite side but I am very certain I could fab up a bracket to make it work.

Please no "AutoZone answers" if you don't know please don't post.
Try OEM evo 8 throttle body with TPS sensor, 125$ shipped - evolutionm.net I'm not sure if the guy still has it, but its worth creating an account and sending a PM. He said $125 shipped

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much, both of you.
I am going to check out evolutionm.net later tonight and perusal through to see what I can find.

Also does anyone have any personal vendettas against any one certain name brand of adjustable cam gears? I personally have had success with skunk2, but please give me some feedback on which brand I should go with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the site referral. I don't think I am going to use them, (due to their inflated pricing), but thank you for your input.
So I broke down and degreased and painted the block and oil pan. I will post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Thank you for the site referral. I don't think I am going to use them, (due to their inflated pricing), but thank you for your input.
So I broke down and degreased and painted the block and oil pan. I will post some pics tonight.
Inflated prices? You wont find parts cheaper. The prices are close to wholesale. The only oem part i get elsewhere is a $30 timing belt from prostreetonline.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If that is the mentor mitsubishi in ohio, they do alot of work with Evo's, they are the premier mitsu performance parts for OEM

·
Fullmetal
541 Posts
seany02, unless your looking for something 2 dollars cheaper like this site, they aren't inflated...

OEM Mitsubishi Parts

Not trying to be a dick, but I've used Mentor Mitsu in the past because they are closer, but this place is farther and the prices are a little cheaper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Throttle body, lancer, w/turbo 03-04 $880.55 $708.84"
I guess your right; I mean $708 for a throttle body is a steal......I do see your point as they are reasonable for the smaller parts like; dipstick, oil cap, etc.

Regardless, I appreciate the help, but as of today I have all of the small odds and ends; thanks to your list, (FlashBlueRS) which again kicks ass.

I am now waiting on cams, cam gears, and a torque wrench. Hopefully those needs will be disolved before the end of the year, so I can drop this biotch in.

Also as an aside, if anyone is wanting to do this swap and needs a head, there is a junkyard here is St. Louis that has a shit ton (as of 12-06-07AD) of Hyundai heads. I think they charge like $50 w/o cams. The yard is a self service yard in strip club alley Illinois, right out side St. Louis by Gateway International Race Track.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered cams today and also picked up cam gears. I believe the cams are out of a mr, so they should have a longer duration then the regular evo. Now I am on my way to buy a torque wrench. I am striving for engine assembly completion before years end. (Pretty unlikely but we will see)
I think I am going to try the stock 3g throttle body for now. If it works I will most likely take it to work and ask one of the machinists to bore it to 62.5mm if possible, (I have yet to properly measure to calculate if that leaves enough edge material) and then make a new butterfly. However plans are fast and loose at this stage and if this guy on evom comes through I will definitly use the evo tb.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts