Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys so my christmas treat to myself (Thanx to boxing day sales) is a brand new sound system for my baby.

I've got a 2003 GT with the infinity system and a clarion apx4240 amp powering 2 crap jensen 12"s. What I picked up the other day was a pair of pioneer ts-w307d4 12"s, a pioneer deh-p5900ib hu and an mtx tc4001 amp to power them. I figure I'll take the clarion I have, since its a 4 channel, and use it to power the fronts and the 6x9's seperately and I understand I'll probably need new components and what not to connect to it instead of the stock speakers. My question is what should I be looking for in a decent set of components? I don't mind spending the extra money if there are certain things that will make a difference but I really don't know what to look for.

Oh and yes I know I'm inexperienced, hence why I'm referring to the expertise of the forums so if you feel the need to flame go for it but at least tell me WHY whatever I'm saying is stupid so I can learn from it. And I did search, couldn't really find anything close to what I had.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
I say ditch the rear 6x9s completely and get a good 6.5 component kit. I bought Alpine Type-S components for my Eclipse. They sound great. But, if you hacve the extra cash, I would go with Alpine Type-X. Top of the line Alpine components.
To choose mine, I went to Best Buy and listened to what they had, but I don't really recommend buying from them because of the prices. I got all of my audio equipment on ebay.
Hope that helps.
BTW, if you need a box hit me up. :hspin:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would get all morel components, the tp jl, but you are going to pay alittle more for them, but in the long run they are deffinately worth it.

·
What Speed Limit?
604 Posts
Focus on the 6.5" components- the 6x9's should be used for rear fill so you shouldn't hear them that much. We can recommend brand/models all day but you really should walk into a store and listen to some. For the most part you get what you pay for- but sometimes you'll pay extra for a name brand. Just pick a set you think sound good to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clarification

Sorry guys I should have been more specific, I'm really not looking for brand/model info (although it helps) I was wondering what kind of specifications I should be looking for. Like I know with subs that RMS and max wattage are important, as well as material quality and how many/what type of voice coils are involved...And yes I'm a sound gear noob, I can talk computer hardware all day but I'm still learning the tech to look for when it comes to audio systems. Thanx for any help.

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Sorry guys I should have been more specific, I'm really not looking for brand/model info (although it helps) I was wondering what kind of specifications I should be looking for. Like I know with subs that RMS and max wattage are important, as well as material quality and how many/what type of voice coils are involved...And yes I'm a sound gear noob, I can talk computer hardware all day but I'm still learning the tech to look for when it comes to audio systems. Thanx for any help.

Actually max wattage is never important :lol:

For speakers, look at impedance (since some are 2 or 3 ohms, instead of the usual 4), sensitivity, tweeter material (soft/silk dome for smoother richer highs, alloy/metal dome for loud piercing highs), etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just the kind of stuff I'm lookin for man thanx, I had no idea that the material made that kind of difference. One of my favourite things to listen to (and one of my favourite ways to judge wether I like a system or not) is to put in something with a nice high guitar solo, like a lot of Santana stuff, or even the voice of that girl from Evanescence and like most ppl I guess I want good quality at higher volumes, price is something that can always be fixed with an extra couple weeks of saving so its not really an issue if something will make a big difference. Any other advice? Or links to somewhere with this sort of info?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and rather than open a new thread I figured I'd ask in here again since I had no luck searching.

Where can I find info on the stock amp in a 2003 gt? I heard it outputs at 2 ohms and I'm just wondering if the clarion I mentioned above would be a suitable replacement with 90 wrms on 4 channels at 2 ohms? would I need a crossover with the factory speakers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts