Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting myself a set of megan racing headers for my GTS V6 eclipse. My question to all who insalled their V6 headers ... did you need to put the car on a lift, or would just a jack/ on 2x4's work? im not 100% sure if it would work without a lift. any help definitly would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Jacking it up works. Its a pain laying on your back for that long but you can do it. Took me a several hours to rip apart the motor and hack off rusted parts but I got it done in my garage with hand tools and a pack of beer.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
just installed my megan headers the other day, I just put the front on jack stands. PM me if you have anymore questions about the install.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok, so a question to you all that have installed them, was it worth the 300 dollars spent? Can you feel the extra HP? How about the sound, too loud? Raspy? Thanks for your comments, it'll defenetley help me in the $ decission.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jesus1911, i put rpw long tube headers on my 05 gts. i definitely felt the difference. i was lucky and got my $250 new locally. Most headers out there that i know of are short tube tho so i don't know how much different you will notice there. Thing is, most you lose some low end torque on the long tubes but after having my car tuned by LogicGate, i definitely noticed an even bigger increase in power. I feel you don't get the full potential of them until you get the ecu flash.

I'm actually going to be selling my rpw headers soon and going to obx.. simply cause i didn't hook up my o2 sensors correctly and don't feel like drilling and putting in o2 sensor bungs in.

Worth the purchase imo... I ran 14.9 at the track with a horrible 2.6 R/T... and my car was running lean due to my messed up 02 sensors. street racing ive taken Rx8, new musttang gt, cobalt ss, camaro lt1, and head up with stock srt-4s.

Good luck!

PS I did my install on jacks as well.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You can do the install on jack stands, and it's much easier if you take the plenum off as well.
:agreed: Removing the plenum really helps when it comes to torquing down the rear header nuts! Also, if your exhaust has any rust be sure to hose down those studs and nuts with PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar a few minutes before you try removing them. It could save you some serious aggravation and maybe some skin on your knuckles.

I install my RIPP headers with just the front of my car on jack stands. I do suggest raising the stands up a couple "notches" if you follow me... it helps when it comes to getting the front bank header in position. Its really not a difficult install though. The hardest part for me was extending the O2 sensor wiring correctly and I'm an electronics minded guy LOL.

Oh a breaker bar and a torque wrench are highly suggested (if not required).

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
Jesus1911,
Worth the purchase imo... I ran 14.9 at the track with a horrible 2.6 R/T... and my car was running lean due to my messed up 02 sensors. street racing ive taken Rx8, new musttang gt, cobalt ss, camaro lt1, and head up with stock srt-4s.

Good luck!

PS I did my install on jacks as well.
r/t has nothing to do with e.t.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
That and O2 sensors aren't going to affect full throttle performance at all. The ECU goes into open loop as soon as you go above a certain throttle level at a given RPM. If you were indeed running lean, it would only help since the stock tune is ultra-rich for N/A.

Just had to clear all that up :)

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
That and O2 sensors aren't going to affect full throttle performance at all.
If he had an issue that caused limp mode then wouldn't that affect performance regardless of throttle position? I was under the impression that certain O2 codes would cause the engine to run ultra rich (safe) just so you could drive it to a shop for service.

:edit: In regards to limp mode... it wasn't related to the O2s but rather the TPS :uh:
From the FSM

FAIL-SAFE/BACKUP FUNCTION TABLE

When the main sensor malfunctions are detected by the diagnostic test mode, the vehicle is controlled by means of the following defaults.

MALFUNCTION ITEM CONTROL CONTENTS DURING MALFUNCTION
Volume air flow sensor
1. Uses the throttle position sensor signal and engine speed signal (crankshaft
position sensor signal) for basic injector drive time and basic ignition timing
from the pre-set mapping.
2. Fixes the IAC motor in the appointed position so idle air control is not
performed.

Intake air temperature sensor
Controls as if the intake air temperature is 25°C (77°F).

Throttle position sensor
No increase in fuel injection amount during acceleration due to the unreliable
throttle position sensor signal.

Engine coolant temperature sensor
Controls as if the engine coolant temperature is 80°C (176°F). (This control will be continued until the ignition switch is turned to the "LOCK" (OFF) position even though the sensor signal returns to normal.)

Camshaft position sensor
Injects fuel simultaneously into all cylinders. (After the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position, the No.1 cylinder top dead center is not detected at all.)

Barometric pressure sensor
Controls as if the barometric pressure is 101 kPa (30 in Hg).

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
There is no "limp mode" on our cars besides in the TCU routine of the PCM. If there is a problem with an O2 sensor, you will just run in open loop all the time, which isn't overly rich but it is safe. This is how I first forced my ECU into open loop before EcuFlash was available. I simply unplugged the primary O2 sensors, which causes an O2 code to register and forces the ECU to run in open loop all the time. There are, however, some strange cases where the ECU still listens to the residual voltage on the O2 sensor circuit and you fall in and out of open loop at idle. That's when I needed EcuFlash just to disable closed loop altogether.

·
Registered
253 Posts
it took a tune, and headers to hit 14.9? All i have is an ebay intake and a muffler and i run 15.0 flat?! kinda strange...oh and sorry for the off topic post!

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
it took a tune, and headers to hit 14.9? All i have is an ebay intake and a muffler and i run 15.0 flat?! kinda strange...oh and sorry for the off topic post!
You have a 2000, a fed-spec, so your car does not have precats meaning your headers flow much smoother then the cali-specs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts