Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
There isnt much of a reason to use a staggered setup on the 3G or any FWD car for that matter. The 18x8s would fit, but the 18x9s would rub on the front and the rear. There is nothing you can do about that.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Only reason for staggered on a FWD is wide up front skinny i the rear for autox/gymkhana.
Autox what for??? I would really say the only reason for staggered is in drag racing.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Wide up front = more grip less in rear = ass happy = tighter turn/ less under steer.
:rofl: that is funny. It works in your head, but on pavement it doesnt.

·
Ph.D > me
4,963 Posts
Yep your right it doesn't work.

thats why SCCA cars do it, right cause it doesn't work.
First off, what kind of SCCA cars are you referring to? SCCA racing is so vast that I probably don't even know of all the types. To say that all SCCA cars run narrower rear tires is mere blasphemous.

Wide front, narrow rear; okay, I can understand your logic. If the rear end has a reduced level of traction, it'll break loose more easily and assuming that this is the way a driver has learned to drive a car, it may work. What it ultimately comes down to is whether or not the narrower rear tires will have enough traction when the brakes are applied; if they don't, the rear brakes will lock up before the front ones do and believe you me, it is scary as all hell when this happens in any kind of car. If the tires do have enough traction once the brakes are applied, brake lock-up won't be a problem but the ability of the car to turn while accelerating, assuming the rear end hasn't swung out, will be hindered.

I don't know, in the few SCCA Solo II events that I've participated in, I never saw a FWD car run narrower tires in the rear and I highly doubt that many people have. The only kind of racing where narrower rear tires would be an advantage on a FWD car would be in drag racing where reduced rolling resistance and a lighter rotational mass can make noticeable differences in trap speed and time.

The more appropriate forum for this discussion, at least in the way that it's veering, would be in the AutoX forum. Feel free to ask this question there but I'm sure most people would be in disagreement with your theory.

·
Registered
844 Posts
the pontiac grand prix gxp runs a reverse staggered (18x8 255/45 front, 18x7 225/50 rear) setup to decrease understeer.

understeer and oversteer are both a result of traction loss. increasing front wheel traction reduces understeer the same way increasing rear wheel traction decreases oversteer.

it's going to be tough to lock up the rear brakes before the front when you run a wider tire/wheel setup in the front. a benefit of better traction up front is better braking.

in the end you don't want an ass happy car, you just want a car that doesn't lose traction.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You stagger to a point.
Like one tire width size.

(225F-215R)

Just enough to help in turning, but not enough to cause instability during breaking.

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
A better way would be to get a suspension that will allow you to run the same width tire but tune it so that you achieve the same results as a staggered setup would provide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts