Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted"help cyl. E misfire" and got a few replies(thank you) BUT nothing ive done has fixed the cyl. 3 misfire. Ive.... Replaced plug wire, moved coil around, checked spark plug, checked wiring to injector, reman injector in hole, using correct resistor for injectors. Replaced head gasket reflashed ecu with larger injector info,checked timing belt alingment..... Wtf am i missing im about ready to send it to the crusher. Ijust rebuilt eng. And itdif not do this before rebuild is correct so what the hell am i not checking or doing please help i truly at my wits end

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
680 Posts
Are you using the correct ECU for that Gen2 engine setup ? You pretty much drained my brain on this one, but I am not much of a four-banger kind of guy. Pretty frustrating, ...J.D.😧

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
829 Posts
Ps its an 02 eclipse spyder with 97 gst turbo set up on it.
research the reluctor wheel design in your distributor...it must match (by year) with the ECU (by year)
So if you swapped the ECU, you have to pair it with the distributor from the same year as the ECU.
This problem pops up whenever someone does an engine swap with a mismatched ECU and Distributor.
Specifically, the design of the reluctor wheel inside the distributor is different beginning with 2002 Eclipses, so if you are using your 2002 distributor with an earlier year ECU (pre-2002) then the ECU misreads the reluctor wheel and the car won't run properly. The reluctor wheel by itself can be swapped out rather than the entire distributor. It may also be possible to reflash the ECU to match the reluctor used, but that is beyond my knowledge.
If you researched distributor part numbers on the Mitsu database, you would notice different part numbers used for 2000-2001 model year vs. 2002-2005. The ONLY difference between the two is the design of the reluctor wheel. However, many autoparts store databases DON'T reflect the difference, leaving people scratching their heads wondering why their new distributor doesnt work with their ECU. Mitsubishi did issue a tech report on this issue, but it remains relatively unknown.
There is another post on here somewhere that has a pic of the two different designed reluctor wheels, for comparison.
Not promising this is what is causing your misfire issue, but its worth looking into since you've tried pretty much everything else.
If you were to find a way to reflash the ECU instead of swapping distributor/reluctor, that knowledge would be very useful to those who plan on future engine swaps. Good luck!!!

· Registered
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
597 Posts
I had a miss fire issue while I was on the stock ecu, changed out everything to try and fix it and nothing did, I’ve spend more money than the car is worth by huge margin. The instant I changed out my ecu to a stand-alone and got it running and tuned it ran like a dream no miss fire and I beat the piss out of it.

This is one reason I went with a stand-alone ECU the stock ecu on a tactix cable I felt wasn’t reliable enough for data logging especially if you don’t know what you’re looking at. And having to shut the car off while making adjustments to reflash is such a pain in the ass.

if you haven’t already I would noid check your ecu at the injectors. I’ve know lots of people that have had issues with ecu injector drivers being wonk.

· Registered
597 Posts
research the reluctor wheel design in your distributor...it must match (by year) with the ECU (by year)
So if you swapped the ECU, you have to pair it with the distributor from the same year as the ECU.
This problem pops up whenever someone does an engine swap with a mismatched ECU and Distributor.
Specifically, the design of the reluctor wheel inside the distributor is different beginning with 2002 Eclipses, so if you are using your 2002 distributor with an earlier year ECU (pre-2002) then the ECU misreads the reluctor wheel and the car won't run properly. The reluctor wheel by itself can be swapped out rather than the entire distributor. It may also be possible to reflash the ECU to match the reluctor used, but that is beyond my knowledge.
If you researched distributor part numbers on the Mitsu database, you would notice different part numbers used for 2000-2001 model year vs. 2002-2005. The ONLY difference between the two is the design of the reluctor wheel. However, many autoparts store databases DON'T reflect the difference, leaving people scratching their heads wondering why their new distributor doesnt work with their ECU. Mitsubishi did issue a tech report on this issue, but it remains relatively unknown.
There is another post on here somewhere that has a pic of the two different designed reluctor wheels, for comparison.
Not promising this is what is causing your misfire issue, but its worth looking into since you've tried pretty much everything else.
If you were to find a way to reflash the ECU instead of swapping distributor/reluctor, that knowledge would be very useful to those who plan on future engine swaps. Good luck!!!
He’s on a 4cylinder with a 2G GST turbo set up. Pretty common for people to do this. But the 4 bangers don’t come with a distributor I believe it’s waste spark coils

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
Like Bitter and Chinchooter mentioned, you should check compression and injector signal if you haven't already. You could also check for a small crack in the intake manifold or a damaged manifold gasket.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a miss fire issue while I was on the stock ecu, changed out everything to try and fix it and nothing did, I’ve spend more money than the car is worth by huge margin. The instant I changed out my ecu to a stand-alone and got it running and tuned it ran like a dream no miss fire and I beat the piss out of it.

This is one reason I went with a stand-alone ECU the stock ecu on a tactix cable I felt wasn’t reliable enough for data logging especially if you don’t know what you’re looking at. And having to shut the car off while making adjustments to reflash is such a pain in the ass.

if you haven’t already I would noid check your ecu at the injectors. I’ve know lots of people that have had issues with ecu injector drivers being wonk.
Cool is thete a stand aline that works the best with the 4g64? And a t25 out of a 97 gst only planing on pushing no more then 8-9 lbs boost

· Registered
597 Posts
Cool is thete a stand aline that works the best with the 4g64? And a t25 out of a 97 gst only planing on pushing no more then 8-9 lbs boost
you could prob use any stand alone, it’ll all depend on what features you want, link ecu, haltech, AEM, mega squirt. There’s a lot of ecus out there just going to have to research what could work for you.
FYI it isn’t cheap and takes a lot of work with wiring if your not familiar with stand-alone I would research about them.

· Super Moderator
54,047 Posts
I did a leak down compression check and no blow by in valves or rings i lapped the valves when i did the rebuild.
You did a leak down, checked cranking compression, or both? Is the plug wetting with fuel? Does a noid light flash on that injector connector?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you could prob use any stand alone, it’ll all depend on what features you want, link ecu, haltech, AEM, mega squirt. There’s a lot of ecus out there just going to have to research what could work for you.
FYI it isn’t cheap and takes a lot of work with wiring if your not familiar with stand-alone I would research about them.
Copy and thank you

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
680 Posts
I am having the notion that there is some mismatched pieces in there somewhere. I am not that knowledgeable on the 4 cylinder engines, but if some electrical component does not mate up with another, that could be a problem on a car like this that is put together from various pieces. ...J.D.

· Registered
597 Posts
Are you using blow through with the MAF? Or is it on the intake side of the turbo, also is your BOV going to the atmosphere or is it recirculating? Are you using the DSM injectors if so did you use a resister pack for them? Could possibly need a transient throttle tune along with a full tune.

· Registered
680 Posts
Just a leak down have to order noid light. Plug not wet with fuel but blackened from being too rich
The too rich plug reading is probably from the misfire. Not a fuel issue. Check the injector out with the noid light when you get it, but I would keep looking at ignition or ECU. ...J.D.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you using blow through with the MAF? Or is it on the intake side of the turbo, also is your BOV going to the atmosphere or is it recirculating? Are you using the DSM injectors if so did you use a resister pack for them? Could possibly need a transient throttle tune along with a full tune.
My mass air flow is on the intake side of the turbo and i have the resistor that goes with the 450 low impedance injectors that were on the 97 gst i also used the fuel pump and fuel rail from the gst. I turned the turbo 180 deg from how it was mounted in the 97 and ran it through the intercooler that also came on the 97. I reflashed the ecu with the injector scaling changed to 432 from the 238 that it had at stock setting. The 275 i took out and replaced with the 450s i guessed the 432 should be close. Other then that i havent changed any other settings.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mass air flow is on the intake side of the turbo and i have the resistor that goes with the 450 low impedance injectors that were on the 97 gst i also used the fuel pump and fuel rail from the gst. I turned the turbo 180 deg from how it was mounted in the 97 and ran it through the intercooler that also came on the 97. I reflashed the ecu with the injector scaling changed to 432 from the 238 that it had at stock setting. The 275 i took out and replaced with the 450s i guessed the 432 should be close. Other then that i havent changed any other settings.
Im ordering a noid light set today i also need to get a wide band o2 sensor im using the sensor from the 97 at this point.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts