Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Another 3G Fanatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have have an all-Alpine setup (4-channel amp, 4 speakers, no sub).When my car's been sitting out during really cold days (like below 25 degrees F), I start the car and the music plays for about 5 seconds, then you hear the sound degenerate fast and then it just stops playing any music (cuts itself off, basically), until you turn the head-unit off and back on, where it does the same thing. The audio is perfect when the car is not in really cold weather. So I am wondering if maybe it's the amp, or the wiring not conducting well enough because the wires are cold.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Well, the cold weather should actually HELP the wiring conduct power better (copper becomes more dense/compact and transfers the electrons that much easier). Does your amp have a faut/clipping/etc LED? Check that to see if the issue is the amp. I'm guessing it is more related to the headuit. 5 seconds just isn't enough time for an amp to get hot and start flaking out, atleast I don't feel it is common enough to consider it as a possible issue just yet. Does this happen regardless of which input you are using on the headunit (CD, radio, ipod, aux, etc)?? How long has this system been installed and when was the last time you did something to it (change settings, fuses, gains, etc)?

·
Another 3G Fanatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check to see if it has a cut-out LED and post my findings. It does happen on any head-unit output (iPod, radio, cd), and I tried Alpine's head-unit Power IC mode, and it did the same thing. I've had this setup for about a year and half, however I did change out the amp from an F250 to an F450 about two months ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts