Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about turbocharging my car and i was wondering, having 300whp, wont that snap the axles if you catch grip at the drag strip??

·
finally BOOSTED
879 Posts
yeah. i was running 323WHP and i am the type that thinks a supercharger is there to make the tires smoke ya know. ive put my ride in a lot of abuse. if your just shooting for 300 youll be straight

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
I've snapped axles in NA form and Rulez has probably gone through more axles than I have.

·
Registered
271 Posts
PharmEcis said:
I've snapped axles in NA form and Rulez has probably gone through more axles than I have.
I maybe totally off the mark here...but does it seem like that the usual suspects keep snapping their axles? I mean afaik (again could be totally off the mark) most people don't snap axles very often. Though when they do, its usually happens repeatedly (as opposed to a one time sorta thing).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also Pharm, where exactly along the axle did it snap? And has it snapped at the same point more than once?

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Well, lets just say the actual potential of this motor has not really been found.
But, come this summer, you will sure be seeing a few 500+hp cars (including myself).

Keep in mind, we have the SAME block as the dodge stealth rt/tt and 3000gt vr-4, and there are a few 800-900hp ones out there. The only difference in their complete motor is that those cars have dual overhead cams and we have single overhead cams, and the ignition setup is different.

·
Registered
271 Posts
callmeebryan said:
Automatic transmissions FTW!!!!!! :-D
FTW = ? :confused:

callmeebryan said:
Well, lets just say the actual potential of this motor has not really been found.
But, come this summer, you will sure be seeing a few 500+hp cars (including myself).

Keep in mind, we have the SAME block as the dodge stealth rt/tt and 3000gt vr-4, and there are a few 800-900hp ones out there. The only difference in their complete motor is that those cars have dual overhead cams and we have single overhead cams, and the ignition setup is different.
We DO NOT have the same engines as the VR4s. In fact we have almost nothing in common with the Twin Turbo variant of the 6G72. Besides the immense head differances, the blocks themselves are also VERY different.

*IMHO* our blocks have very little potential without major upgrades. At the end of the day were stuck with a long stroked, low revving, SOHC motor. Very boring, and very vanilla.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
FTW means for the win! Auto trannies put less stress on the axles compared to 5spds.

Um.... we have the exact same BLOCK. 3.0L V6 6g72. I did not say we have the same internals as the VR-4's.Their bottom ends have forged cranks and forged pistons, we are stuck with junk pistons stock.

We have alot in common with the VR-4's, actually. Alot of parts performance companies make for that motor we can use on this motor (lower intake manfolds,fuel rails, injectors, pistons, rods, crankshafts, to name a few).

Not to mention the new tiburons are just destroked 6g72's. Intake manifolds and stuff from that car will work on ours with little modification.

·
Registered
271 Posts
callmeebryan said:
FTW means for the win! Auto trannies put less stress on the axles compared to 5spds.

Um.... we have the exact same BLOCK. 3.0L V6 6g72. I did not say we have the same internals as the VR-4's.Their bottom ends have forged cranks and forged pistons, we are stuck with junk pistons stock.

We have alot in common with the VR-4's, actually. Alot of parts performance companies make for that motor we can use on this motor (lower intake manfolds,fuel rails, injectors, pistons, rods, crankshafts, to name a few).

Not to mention the new tiburons are just destroked 6g72's. Intake manifolds and stuff from that car will work on ours with little modification.
We dont have the same exact block, PERIOD! Don't go around telling people we do. The only other car in the world that has the same block is a NA DOHC block.

The fact that we can use SOME parts from the VR4 DOES NOT change this fact at all. The most imporant parts such as the DOHC head, and the exhaust manifold do not bolt on. In fact we can't even swap out of the stock block for a VR4 block.

·
finally BOOSTED
879 Posts
Jetblackness said:
We dont have the same exact block, PERIOD! Don't go around telling people we do. The only other car in the world that has the same block is a NA DOHC block.

The fact that we can use SOME parts from the VR4 DOES NOT change this fact at all. The most imporant parts such as the DOHC head, and the exhaust manifold do not bolt on. In fact we can't even swap out of the stock block for a VR4 block.
jesus! have you ever tried to bolt up the DOHC and exhaust manifolds onto our blocks?! just say no! well i have! GT Motorsports has bolted on the DOHC from a VR-4 and the exhaust manifolds from the same and they both fit! we took measurments of the engine after assembly and the damn thing fit!

Bryan never said the block was the same. he merely was saying that we had basic similarities with the engine. if we threw forged internals, plopped on the DOHC and the exhaust manifolds, and threw a forged crank on it also, what would have. pretty much a VR-4 correct?? stop being so damn anal. you know what he was trying to say. and you shouldnt be telling people things that arent true. find out first of the heads and manis bolt up first then you can try to argue with people about it.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
The VR4 block is a 16 bolt mains while our block is an 8 bolt mains. The VR4 can rev to 7k while we are limited to 6k.

There is a CONSIDERABLE amount of difference from the VR4 engine to the DOHC or SOHC 6G72 in the castings and other areas.

·
54,338 Posts
PharmEcis said:
The VR4 block is a 16 bolt mains while our block is an 8 bolt mains. The VR4 can rev to 7k while we are limited to 6k.

There is a CONSIDERABLE amount of difference from the VR4 engine to the DOHC or SOHC 6G72 in the castings and other areas.
because the VR-4 is MADE to run boost where as the eclipse 6g72 is NOT.

·
Registered
271 Posts
WEASELFURY said:
jesus! have you ever tried to bolt up the DOHC and exhaust manifolds onto our blocks?! just say no! well i have! GT Motorsports has bolted on the DOHC from a VR-4 and the exhaust manifolds from the same and they both fit! we took measurments of the engine after assembly and the damn thing fit!
You got me on the bolt spacing part. The exhaust manifolds bolt up...

Though I can't see how anyone would be able to use them (which is really beside the point).

And as for the heads, please do tell me how did that come out? I'll concede both points that they do in fact bolt up (that is, the head and the manifold). What problems did you run into?

Bryan never said the block was the same. he merely was saying that we had basic similarities with the engine.
callmeebryan said:
Um.... we have the exact same BLOCK. 3.0L V6 6g72.
if we threw forged internals, plopped on the DOHC and the exhaust manifolds, and threw a forged crank on it also, what would have.

pretty much a VR-4 correct??
Your not being serious about the last part right?

stop being so damn anal. you know what he was trying to say. and you shouldnt be telling people things that arent true. find out first of the heads and manis bolt up first then you can try to argue with people about it.
We have simlarities between both blocks. The same can be said with the a majority of 6G72 used throughout the ages. But this still does not mean they are all using the TT block!

POINT BEING, we do not have the same block as the VR4. My mistaken assumptions in no way promote the basic idea that the blocks themselves are the same.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts