Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again!
Back with another random issue on the 3G.
Currently working on my 2003 2.4L eclipse GS. 143K miles no major issues at all.
Issue:
Driving down the road after work, light traffic, nothing out of the ordinary.
I come to a red light and cars idling fine no issues , not hot, literally been driving 10 mins.
CAR DIED. will not restart so I shut off and push into random parking lot.
Start pulling fuses and none are blown , literally not one. (checked both fuse panels)

--- get car pulled home by relative.
1. after taking fuel pump out and checking for power it actually primed and worked as normal.
2. checked spark plugs and found they were burned up pretty good. (replaced with new.)
3. Hooked up Matco scanner and got a notification for camshaft position sensor test failure.
Before I dump another 150 plus dollars on a new part, has anyone had this happen before?
Car run fine then randomly die and not restart... I am having a hard time on forums trying to read up on the exact same issue as mine so I decided to make a post.
Any help appreciated, last time the help from the admins got me back on the road so im hoping for good input!

·
972 Posts
Your ECU is not reading a signal from the camshaft sensor. Check the connections and wiring coming from the sensor. If they look good, replace the sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the connectors and wires last-night and when I pulled the camshaft sensor it was real dirty. Going to replace and see if car will start!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upon further investigation I found the issue. Timing belt snapped....
I have the valve cover off and the exhaust off. I may have gotten super lucky since I wasn't moving and at low rpms I didn't drop any valves. I am going to buy the timing belt kit and go ahead and replace water pump and hopefully have car back on the road by Sunday! I will post as needed if any questions pop up.Lluckily the 2.4 is a very easy disassemble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah looking at lifters and valves all look to luckily not be damaged! I've had some close calls with the car but buying from an individual that had no service records or proof anything was changed, I was crossing fingers no major issues. I can deal with a timing belt repair gives me a reason to do overhaul gasket kit and pull motor to checkout. this 3g will be back on the road in no time.

·
972 Posts
I think I'd throw a timing belt on to verify there was no damage before doing a complete overhaul. If there is damage, might be worth it to just source another engine from a junk yard and put effort into restoring that. Engines for these cars are so inexpensive that rebuilding the head can be hard to justify (which you'd likely have to do if the timing belt breakage damaged anything).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed! I spent 4-5 hours late last-night looking over everything. Had my cousin come over and we checked over motor as far as we could without being able to turn the car over to start. I will climb up under after work this evening and get the belt pulled out and motor mount off to get new belt and pully on. These Ubers are getting expensive! :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. It was the crank shaft sensor (towards the top left side of engine. Changed and car started just fine. A year after that the car would randomly want to die and couldn,t figure out why, turned out to be the timing belt. The belt had missing teeth on it and no longer would turn over. Had the belt and water pump replaced and back on the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my belt snapped down the middle and broke off into 5 pieces :( ill be taking motor mount off etc this evening! I have about 18 hours before i have to return to work so should be enough time!
hopefully this is the last of issues but its a temperamental 3G. I will not let this car go lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6 hours later.. discovered my crankshaft belt was non existent and my timing belt was in literal pieces. luckily nothing else was damaged! started right up!
7 beers... 468096 curse words and a lot of busted knuckles paid off :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Driving today my service engine light went off.. reset the trip meter so I can calculate mileage on belt from now on. I disconnected the battery but at startup it came back on so I worried but it cycled off this morning.
I drove approx 20 miles and no issues. I do fill a more stiff ride when I give some gas so ill recheck my tension on my belts, had a loud squeal coming from alternator water pump crank belt this morning when started. Sprayed with belt dressing and loosened tensioner a little. so far so good!

·
972 Posts
The serpentine belt has to be sort of on the tight side. Look in the factory service manual for the tension spec. You shouldn't need belt dressing if the belt is tightened correctly and your accessories are in good condition.

Also it pays to keep a small notebook in the glove box for maintenance recording. One of those little $1 ones from target or walmart is good. Record the mileage, date, service done, and when it is due again. Your trip odometer can be reset by disconnecting the battery I think or by fat thumbs, the notebook can't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh good idea! mine seems to stay for some reason. I had the battery out about 3 days and all my mileage and even radio presets stayed.. I should have done water pump while i had it opened but i was more worried about the issue at hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts