Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SouljaH
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bad ECM?

:dunno: I have an 01 gt with a stick. The only mods I have are an cai and exhaust, both have been on the car for about 5 years. Recently I have been having problems starting the car ( it cranks but doesn't start) in the mornings when it was kind of cold out(~35 or 40) and when it would warm up outside the car would start just fine. I started reading on this forum and they said it can be grounding, mfi relay, crank sensor, or battery. I had all those checked and still nothing. I decided to switch out the mfi relay and that didn't fix anything as a matter of fact when I put the old one back in the car would crank but not start at all, no matter how long I waited. I had it towed to the dealership and they tested and found out it was the ECU and immobilizer. Has anyone else had problems like this and is what the dealer saying right? It's going to cost around $1500 for the ecu and immobilizer. This has been driving me insane! :rant:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
:dunno: I have an 01 gt with a stick. The only mods I have are an cai and exhaust, both have been on the car for about 5 years. Recently I have been having problems starting the car ( it cranks but doesn't start) in the mornings when it was kind of cold out(~35 or 40) and when it would warm up outside the car would start just fine. I started reading on this forum and they said it can be grounding, mfi relay, crank sensor, or battery. I had all those checked and still nothing. I decided to switch out the mfi relay and that didn't fix anything as a matter of fact when I put the old one back in the car would crank but not start at all, no matter how long I waited. I had it towed to the dealership and they tested and found out it was the ECU and immobilizer. Has anyone else had problems like this and is what the dealer saying right? It's going to cost around $1500 for the ecu and immobilizer. This had been driving me insane! :rant:
Maybe you can find one at a junk yard? I don't it'd be that hard to put it in yourself.

·
Moved On
1,861 Posts
probably about 100-200 bucks and ask steadly to help you out with the immobilizer delete and you should be golden. I'd still ground your engine to your battery with jumper cables and see if it starts though.

·
SouljaH
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be a stupid question but, since my immobilizer and ecu are being changed are there any performance improvements.

·
SouljaH
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a call from the dealer and they told me that the reason my clutch went bad is because the shift cable was kinked and broke and the washer is floating around somewhere and they need to take my dash apart to replace everything. Immobilizer, ecu, clutch and now this totals out at 3300. What the hell?

·
SouljaH
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my car back and noticed that my power is not as good as it used to be. Is that normal? Does the clutch need breaking in?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts