Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kuztom Uzer Tytel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Optima Red Top. OEM starter and alternator.

I didn't drive my car for a couple weeks, and the battery drained (have no idea how, maybe the cold weather?). Almost no charge, as none of my accessories worked. Took the battery out, took it to Auto Zone (where I bought it), and wanted a trickle charge. They also cleaned the terminals for me. I took it home, installed it, and STILL needed a jump start to get it running. It jumped right up, but still wanted to die down at idle. After about 4 traffic lights, it ran fine. Actually, I kept it running at idle for about 45 minutes while a buddy of mine took pictures of my new HIDs.

I got home, turned it off, and wanted to go back out and start it up to make sure everything was good...it wasn't slow cranking every 2/3 cycles it got slower...classic low battery symptoms.

WTF?!?!?!

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Sounds like you need a new battery.
I wouldn't worry about it being the alternator since even after you got the battery "charged" you still needed a jump.
And, if the car was actually turning over at one point, then it wouldn't be the starter either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went through this earlier this week. I have an Optima Yellow Top and the battery is under a year old. I got it last May. I am looking into getting a trickle charger/tender so that I can keep the battery from getting drained while I am not driving it.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Sounds like you need a new battery.
I wouldn't worry about it being the alternator since even after you got the battery "charged" you still needed a jump.
And, if the car was actually turning over at one point, then it wouldn't be the starter either.
:agreed: If it's the starter, then your car wouldn't start no matter what you did to the battery.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have an Optima Red Top. OEM starter and alternator.

I didn't drive my car for a couple weeks, and the battery drained (have no idea how, maybe the cold weather?). Almost no charge, as none of my accessories worked. Took the battery out, took it to Auto Zone (where I bought it), and wanted a trickle charge. They also cleaned the terminals for me. I took it home, installed it, and STILL needed a jump start to get it running. It jumped right up, but still wanted to die down at idle. After about 4 traffic lights, it ran fine. Actually, I kept it running at idle for about 45 minutes while a buddy of mine took pictures of my new HIDs.

I got home, turned it off, and wanted to go back out and start it up to make sure everything was good...it wasn't slow cranking every 2/3 cycles it got slower...classic low battery symptoms.

WTF?!?!?!
Did you have them load test the battery? I'd just get a jump start and head over to Autozone and have them test the battery, your charging system, and starting system...might as well get the free tests done, that way you'd know for sure what the problem is...

:agreed: If it's the starter, then your car wouldn't start no matter what you did to the battery.
Unless it's just drawing too much amperage...

·
Kuztom Uzer Tytel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so it's not the starter. It's the battery not being able to keep a charge, or its the alternator not GIVING the battery charge, right?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Alright, so it's not the starter. It's the battery not being able to keep a charge, or its the alternator not GIVING the battery charge, right?
Or a combination of the two...you might have one heck of a parasitic drain, but I doubt it'd be that bad. Have the battery load tested and the charging system checked...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts