Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have a 06 Eclipse GT. I parked it for 4 wks because I needed tires. It was running great when I parked it. Other than an 02 sensor code. Still ran great. Cold AC. I got new tires and the next day my battery was dead. I replaced the battery since it was under warranty. Charged it to 100%. AC stopped getting cold. It had a new condenser, and compressor 3 yrs ago. AC was fine when I parked it. Next day dead battery. Not just dead but down to 1%. Any ideas? Suggestions? No aftermarket anything on it. The only other thing wrong with it was the cd stopped working/ or ejecting cds but that’s been like that for over a yr. Radio works fine. The cars in great shape, leather interior perfect. Runs great. But all of a sudden this charging thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
380 Posts
Welcome! Nothing wrong with posting here, but a 2006 is fourth generation, so you'll get more specific help from a 4G site like club4g.org

In general though, you can check for parasitic drain with a multi-tester. It involves removing the negative battery clamp, setting your multi tester to measure amperage, then connecting the multi tester leads to the negative clamp and the negative battery terminal. That way the battery current flows through your tester, and you can see how much current there is. The 4G folks can tell you what's normal, but it's probably something like 50 milliamps or less. Much more than that and something's draining power. So you start pulling fuses until the current drops to ~50mA. That tells you what circuit the problem is on, and you troubleshoot from there. Search "parasitic drain" and you'll find plenty of YT videos.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
587 Posts
Don't assume that your new battery is good...have it tested for drain/load at local auto parts store. Even a new battery can sometimes have a bad cell(s). Also have your alternator tested.
Also check if there are any other wires directly connected to the battery other than the +/- cables.
If yes, then someone wired an accessory that might be drawing power.
Check/disconnect your ground wire from battery to firewall, and clean with wire brush at firewall.
Check all fusible links for melted wires, and wiring between alternator and battery. Disconnect and clean all connections.
Check both fuse boxes for corrosion and clean as necessary.
Troubleshoot for parasitic drain if all else fails, as suggested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery tested good, alt checked hood. I have no aftermarket accessories. I got it from an older couple , so no mods were done. I’m 2nd owner. Battery terminals were cleaned as well as grounds. I guess we’ll start checking for drain by removing the fuses one by one next. I saw no melted wires but it’s hard to see them all. We’ll check for corrosion around the fuse box as well. It’s pretty clean under the hood. Who knows. I hate electrical problems. Especially out of the blue.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Don't assume that your new battery is good...have it tested for drain/load at local auto parts store. Even a new battery can sometimes have a bad cell(s). Also have your alternator tested.
Also check if there are any other wires directly connected to the battery other than the +/- cables.
If yes, then someone wired an accessory that might be drawing power.
Check/disconnect your ground wire from battery to firewall, and clean with wire brush at firewall.
Check all fusible links for melted wires, and wiring between alternator and battery. Disconnect and clean all connections.
Check both fuse boxes for corrosion and clean as necessary.
Troubleshoot for parasitic drain if all else fails, as suggested.
Yes! I've bought trash batteries more than once. And never try to start the car continuously with a weak battery. Sure way to blow the regulator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts