Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sorry, I know this doesn't really go here but being new here my searching and posting skills aren't that great...:(

On to the problem::rant2:
http://i.imgur.com/8pXftxO.jpg

As you can see from the picture the battery terminals seem about to give up...:scratch:
I need help knowing which battery terminals to buy...:dunno:
Which you guys recommend???:nopity:

Im looking to buy new terminals and cables (better than OEM- if possible)...:eek3:

Please point me in the right direction...:wavey:
All feedback is welcome...:wavey:

Closer pic:

http://i.imgur.com/d5aqzq0.jpg

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
The terminals you want are pretty much up to you and what you want to do terminals are just terminals and some have easier to manage wire holes and such, but as for changing up the wiring I would suggest just going straight to the Big 3 or 4 upgrade. Here's the first link I found, you can probably search around the forums for a better one.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/electronics/85190-how-upgrade-big-3-a.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The terminals you want are pretty much up to you and what you want to do terminals are just terminals and some have easier to manage wire holes and such, but as for changing up the wiring I would suggest just going straight to the Big 3 or 4 upgrade. Here's the first link I found, you can probably search around the forums for a better one.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/electronics/85190-how-upgrade-big-3-a.html
THANKS... Yea, I saw that thread but all I see the the cat with the "picture not found" and basically some outdated stuff :(

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The big 3 is the dumbest upgrade this forum has ever offered. Do not waste you time or money, the factory grounding system leaves nothing to be desired unless you're running a massive sound system or compressors.

Just go to advanced or carquest and grab terminals. Wont cost you $10.

·
Builder Probe
292 Posts
A question about that. If the terminals are clean, what could be causing the headlights to dim when rolling windows down?

Is the big 3 total bunk?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The big 3 is the dumbest upgrade this forum has ever offered. Do not waste you time or money, the factory grounding system leaves nothing to be desired unless you're running a massive sound system or compressors.

So all terminals are basically the same?
There is no advantage over one design over another?
Or a better brand than some other brand?

If you look at the pic, one side has only one cable to it while the other has like 3 attached to it...

Same thing for the wires and cables... I wanna get clean new and better ones...
Any recommended brand?

Thanks...

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
For being Stock doing the big 3 is rather bunk, but if you add any sound or plan to it's not so bunk anymore. It's also an easy way to get rid of the old wiring that is probably falling apart or starting to corrode in a lot of areas.

As for the terminals as long as you can fit what you need to onto them they are all of the same. Don't believe any of the bogus crap you might see where people claim their terminals will make your car start better or anything like that. When my OEM terminals fell apart I just went to WalMart and got terminals for $5, they work great

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
A question about that. If the terminals are clean, what could be causing the headlights to dim when rolling windows down?

Is the big 3 total bunk?
If your headlights are dimming just from rolling down the windows I'd think there is something wrong with your electrical or your battery. My new headlights and my old headlights never dimmed until I installed my partial sound system and if I have the bass up and a big drop comes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Help

I need Serious HELP:mecry2::(:mecry2::(:mecry2:

:(:mecry2::(:mecry2:

Please send me links to the best cables and the best terminals you can think of...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They look like they could just use some cleaning with a wire brush or the ones made to clean battery terminal
Thanks:wavey:, but if I can just buy the whole thing and make a smart investment I want it to be the best products available:eek3:... Thats why I want both new terminals and new wiring and cables...:agreed:

How many AWG cables do I need??
What AWG Sizes??
Where do they go + or -?
Best brand??
Where do the fuse on the + goes (on the cable or the terminal) where is more recommended?

I'm new to this so please teach me all..

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
Thanks:wavey:, but if I can just buy the whole thing and make a smart investment I want it to be the best products available:eek3:... Thats why I want both new terminals and new wiring and cables...:agreed:

How many AWG cables do I need??
What AWG Sizes??
Where do they go + or -?
Best brand??
Where do the fuse on the + goes (on the cable or the terminal) where is more recommended?

I'm new to this so please teach me all..
Keep it simple man, I learned this from this forum and you need to as well. It's not as hard as you think it is.

After a quick search it looks like the factory wiring is 4AWG, which is all you need. No need to go higher unless you have some decent sound system plans or in-car PC stuff like that.

You will only need 3, and I couldn't tell you the size. You can order 10ft of cable and as you take the old wiring off measure it and then make the cables yourself with the proper tools, that would be the easiest way.

There's not so much as a best brand for this stuff, it is all basically the same. However there are shit for brands and be careful what you buy from eBay. Just post what you have as an idea here in your thread and others will guide you.

As for the fuse as long as it is within 12 inches of the battery you will be fine if it is on the terminal or the cable, it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep it simple man, I learned this from this forum and you need to as well. It's not as hard as you think it is.

After a quick search it looks like the factory wiring is 4AWG, which is all you need. No need to go higher unless you have some decent sound system plans or in-car PC stuff like that.

You will only need 3, and I couldn't tell you the size. You can order 10ft of cable and as you take the old wiring off measure it and then make the cables yourself with the proper tools, that would be the easiest way.

There's not so much as a best brand for this stuff, it is all basically the same. However there are shit for brands and be careful what you buy from eBay. Just post what you have as an idea here in your thread and others will guide you.

As for the fuse as long as it is within 12 inches of the battery you will be fine if it is on the terminal or the cable, it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
Thanks for the short but straight to the point info:yesway::yesway::yesway:...

Is it ok if I ask you to post a pic here of your battery/terminals/cables/fuse here?? So that I may use it as guidance and/or reference??..?.:scratch:

And thanks, you'd been of much help...:wavey::wavey:

·
54,339 Posts
My opinion is that you should just grab a new positive terminal from the dealer, get a universal negative terminal, replace the battery because it's leaking acid around the post and that's what ate up the positive terminal, and you should be fine without replacing cables. That's the most simple and direct fix to this problem with the least chance of catastrophe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My opinion is that you should just grab a new positive terminal from the dealer, get a universal negative terminal, replace the battery because it's leaking acid around the post and that's what ate up the positive terminal, and you should be fine without replacing cables. That's the most simple and direct fix to this problem with the least chance of catastrophe.
Thanks for your input. Will take that into consideration.

But the reason for the new wiring and cables is not only their effectiveness but also looks... I wanna make the engine look clean and new... Thats why the new wires... And thats why I wanted to know exactly what wires are on the car so I know exactly which ones to buy...
:scratch::dunno::wavey::eek3::rolleyes:

I bought the car used so it was already like this... But as my first car my goal is to make it a beast... New everything... Better stuff... Performance stuff...:eek3::eek3::eek3:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can PM you a picture tomorrow when I go by my garage. For now I suggest you visit the how-to garage section and just start reading around and familiarizing yourself with the car. Lift up your hood and just follow the wires yourself to get the idea of where they go, stuff like that. Get familiar with under the hood.
Will do... Thanks...:eek3:

·
lit up
4,334 Posts

+1 to this.

don't over think it.

most auto parts stores sell replacement ground cables with pre-terminated ends. that's what i used on my eclipse when the terminal was starting to give up.

and exactly as bitter said, the oem positive terminal from the dealer is more then good.

a good part of your dimming issues are coming from those horribly filthy, dirty terminals. if you can't cleanly see the terminals, there's no way the electrons can cleanly see how to get from the battery to the wire!

·
lit up
4,334 Posts

it's one hell of a placebo effect though.

SAVES GAS!! STARTS FASTER!! LIGHTS BRIGHTER!! ONLY $9.99!!!!(plus $490.01 handling)

i ran a 1200w rms stereo off the factory gear. i upgraded the chassis-battery ground to 4ga because the battery terminal was starting to fall apart, but otherwise never did the 'big 3' that everyone said was needed at those power levels..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1 to this.

don't over think it.

most auto parts stores sell replacement ground cables with pre-terminated ends. that's what i used on my eclipse when the terminal was starting to give up.

and exactly as bitter said, the oem positive terminal from the dealer is more then good.

a good part of your dimming issues are coming from those horribly filthy, dirty terminals. if you can't cleanly see the terminals, there's no way the electrons can cleanly see how to get from the battery to the wire!
Thanks for your feedback...:wavey:
But like I mentioned before, I want the engine to look shiny new, thats why the new cables..:eek3:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts