Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i had it all figured out and beat then when trying to break the SDS in belt broke. Is this common? what Causes it? and what belts have you guys had success with?

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
usually the belt snaps because it was either overtightened or because it was installed improperly. I've had 2 belts break on me in the past 2 years, both broke right after I installed or reinstalled them. Overall, I've had great luck with the NAPA generic belts.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
the SDS can really stretch out a belt.

also i noticed many SDS owners are actually not tightening the belt enough on installs and thus the belt just gets thrown and tore up.

good rule of thumb on the install. TIghten the belt so you can twist the belt NO MORE than 60 degrees betweeen AC pulley and Crank pulley.

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
The engine still runs fine, you just don't have the power of the SDS, AC, or alternator. As long as you have a battery with some juice in it, you'll be fine. And its all fixed by replacing the belt which is about a 30 minute task.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply's guys i put a new one in but couldnt really tighten it down real as i could barley get it on let alone make it tighter. but atleast this one i got has a 1 year warrenty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts