Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Belt squealing / size issues

Tags
belt squeal
3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  aebcoat 
#1 ·
I have read tons of belt squealing threads but would like some input specifically on my issue. I have a 2003 Eclipse GS 2.4 and the ac/ps belt squeals only on cold starts, warm starts are silent.

A few months ago my alternator belt broke and left me stuck on the side of the road. I only bought the alternator belt not knowing you had to take the ac belt off as well, else I would have done both at once. After putting the old ac belt back on it started squealing, I tightened it some and it helped, but didn't fix it. I did not work with it much knowing I was going to replace it soon, but after replacing it the squeal persists. I am pretty sure its the ac belt squealing since turning the ac off stops the squeal faster, and when you turn the ac back on the squeal returns. I have tightened it numerous times and now am worried about over tightening it, I can turn it about 100 degrees and it has about 1/2 in. play. Visual observation of the running belts looks good.

Now on to the questions?

The new ac belt I got was 54in and the old one was 54 3/8 inches like they sell at rockauto.
Could the shorter belt be part of my issue?
Could it just be the brand of belt I got (Dayco) is not the best brand for this car?

I am planning on pulling the belt back off to test the pulleys if I don't get fixed soon; but would like to know if I should order a new 54 3/8 in. belt, or if I should focus on something else such as bearings in the ac compressor.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hate to bump but I have new information.

I took the a/c p/s belt off and noticed the tensioner bolt is bent. the head does not sit flush with the bracket and the threaded part is warped. I am going to order a replacement since no dealers stock them (part# md 111694). Would this cause a screeching noise on some starts?

All the pulleys spin freely but I think the bolt being bent may be messing the belt alignment up. Its hard to pinpoint the problem because the noise does not happen every time and it only last a few mins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.