Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ...timing chain isnt broken...no teeth are missing, coupla cracks in the belt though. Car has no compression...but some great air flow...i wacked all the intake valves....or atleast the three in the front which ive checked....and the ones in the back i am just assuming are wacked. I know how to fix it, im just curiuos as to how on earth it did this!? haha

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
These cars don't have a timing chain, it's a belt. How many miles on your car? Most likely, your hydraulic tensioner failed which caused the belt to skip several teeth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a possibility that it skipped but when i took off the timing belt it was still pretty tight? When i was driving before the car broke i was shifting within the rev limiter and as i understand the limiter is put there to prevent over rev. and valve float which sounds like what happened. This situation just doesnt make anysense hah. ....could it be possible that this problem started two months ago and just increasingly became worse until it wore down the valve so much that it became unfunctional? because when i first got the car i was "beating on it" and missed a few gears bouncing the rev limiter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, im sorry your right it is a timing belt. Im an x-camaro owner and just use to saying timing chain rather than timing belt! ahaha. 74XXX miles. hmm hydraulic tensioner ....google....hydraulic tensioner....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in short hydraulc tensioner= main function keep the timing belt tight on the cams/crank. didnt see anything funny when i took it all apart.like i said, it the belt was tight....but then again how tight is tight enough?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
If there was no significant deflection in the belt, the tensioner probably didn't fail. It's quite possible you have some bad lifters which could have helped.

Honestly, until you pull the heads off and look, it will be hard to know for sure.

G

·
If there was no significant deflection in the belt, the tensioner probably didn't fail. It's quite possible you have some bad lifters which could have helped.

Honestly, until you pull the heads off and look, it will be hard to know for sure.
Maybe excessive valve guide clearance?

p.s. u don't have to drive like a clown and take it to redline every shift.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When i was driving before the car broke i was shifting within the rev limiter and as i understand the limiter is put there to prevent over rev. and valve float which sounds like what happened.

Rev limiters only keep you from floor boarding the car and over revving the engine. If you are in second gear and run it up to 6000 rpm and try and shift into second but accidently get it back into first gear instead the engine will over rev. The wheels and transmission would be mechanically spinning the transmission way too fast. Cutting off spark or fuel (what a rev limiter does) won't do anything to prevent that.

I have never done this in my eclipse but have done it in several other cars (all customers cars) that were rear wheel drive. All of those times I was lucky enough to drag the rear wheels instead of over revving the engine and having pistons and valves making sweet sweet love to each other.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Rev limiters only keep you from floor boarding the car and over revving the engine. If you are in second gear and run it up to 6000 rpm and try and shift into second but accidently get it back into first gear instead the engine will over rev. The wheels and transmission would be mechanically spinning the transmission way too fast. Cutting off spark or fuel (what a rev limiter does) won't do anything to prevent that.

I have never done this in my eclipse but have done it in several other cars (all customers cars) that were rear wheel drive. All of those times I was lucky enough to drag the rear wheels instead of over revving the engine and having pistons and valves making sweet sweet love to each other.
very insightful, that makes complete sense. So im thinking, a while ago, i did happen to over rev the engine. maybe just by me beating on it consitantly i happen to exacerbate and inevitable situation of the valves/heads failing. thanks man!:bowdown: hahah

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
:scratch:

Note to self...don't take car to GSXROFDFW for repairs...:rofl:

very insightful, that makes complete sense. So im thinking, a while ago, i did happen to over rev the engine. maybe just by me beating on it consitantly i happen to exacerbate and inevitable situation of the valves/heads failing. thanks man!:bowdown: hahah
Well, at least you learned not to abuse the car...too bad it came with a steep price tag though...:ugh2: When it comes down to it though, if you have a problem like bent valves (or even that drastic of a loss of compression), the cause isn't really that important...the key is to do a complete tear-down and thorough inspection, and rebuild the engine properly...

So are you going to just do a stock rebuild, or add a few goodies inside that engine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya kno, i am very tempted to throw some "goodies" in there. i should be getting a donor engine soon, im just not sure if i want to blow some moola into the vehicle. we'll have to see. hmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
:scratch:

Note to self...don't take car to GSXROFDFW for repairs...:rofl:

Ha HA HA I meant in 2nd and trying to shift to 3rd and jamming it back into first by mistake.

People always say that if this happens it means you can't drive stick. When I get cars like this in the shop I think it means they are either retarded and can't drive stick or they really run the piss out of their car and mistakes do happen from time to time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol to make all things clear, i was tired when i responded, so i have never gone 1st ->2nd-> 1st lmao! but i have gone 1st(6k rpm)->2nd and let the clutch out too soon missing second and slapping the tach against the rev limiter like a punching bag.(its called shift like an ass aka keeping the foot to the floor while shifting). which all happened a coupla months ago. maybe i just kissed a valve doing it and then it progressive got worse. the other thing is that i had left 'er at the dealership to get some work done. when i got her back i noticed a lack in power but didnt think much of it. maybe they f***'d with her? if so(being there no way to prove it in a court of law) .....i'm soooooooo pist. bastards!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ha HA HA I meant in 2nd and trying to shift to 3rd and jamming it back into first by mistake.
I knew what you meant...I was just giving you a hard time...:D

lol to make all things clear, i was tired when i responded, so i have never gone 1st ->2nd-> 1st lmao! but i have gone 1st(6k rpm)->2nd and let the clutch out too soon missing second and slapping the tach against the rev limiter like a punching bag.(its called shift like an ass aka keeping the foot to the floor while shifting). which all happened a coupla months ago. maybe i just kissed a valve doing it and then it progressive got worse. the other thing is that i had left 'er at the dealership to get some work done. when i got her back i noticed a lack in power but didnt think much of it. maybe they f***'d with her? if so(being there no way to prove it in a court of law) .....i'm soooooooo pist. bastards!
I hear ya...the first time I took the car to the body shop, when I got it back they screwed with my XM Radio settings, the nav system, virtual gauges...just about every feature of the AVIC D3...I was pretty pissed...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
idk what to think....they changed a crank sensor and a m.m.( i only had them do it because it was under warranty which means free-be:hbang: ) . Well im not going to spend much time thinking about that, i getting a donor 6g72 out of a 2k eclipse fed spec and i currently have a cali spec so we'll see how things work out, maybe ill do something special with the old engine since i really have no use for it.

·
Super Asian Invasion
4,826 Posts
there aren't any engine differences from the fed or cali specs. Only difference is the ECU and headers that are different.

G

·
idk what to think....they changed a crank sensor and a m.m.( i only had them do it because it was under warranty which means free-be:hbang: ) . Well im not going to spend much time thinking about that, i getting a donor 6g72 out of a 2k eclipse fed spec and i currently have a cali spec so we'll see how things work out, maybe ill do something special with the old engine since i really have no use for it.
rebuild it and sell it to somebody on stratusphere?:dunno: lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts