Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
resident nobody
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a cubicle from 9AM - 6PM(sometimes as late as 8PM).

I normally try to squeeze in an hour of gym after work(there is a 24 hour gym that I am a member of).

The question is, though... when is the best time to work out? My work out consists mainly of 30 minutes on the treadmill and 25 minutes of weightlifting and about 5 minutes to shower off.

working out before work means that I gotta eat a decent breakfast, probably after the workout before work...

Whereas working out after work is a bit of a hassle because sometimes I end later than I'd like to and I'm all buzzed from the workout to simply go to bed immediately afterwards.

Any comments?

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
What kinda of working out? Cardio, weights, lifting for strength or tone, lose weight or gain mass? All these things will make a difference.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I have a similar schedule to you, and I can't workout after work. Just won't happen. I get home, and I'm done. I get up early and go to the gym. I drink a protein shake as soon as I get outta bed, and then head to the gym. I feel more alert the rest of the day too.

·
Boobs
989 Posts
I like doing cardio in the morning and lifting after work. By doing cardio first thing it jumpstarts your metabolism and makes it much more productive. Also it makes me feel more alert.

As far as weights are concerned I just cant do it in the morning. I feel as I have no strength so I am not wasting a workout by not giving 100%.

Everyone is different, try mixing up your times and see what works and feels best for you.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Now that I have more time I will elaborate.
I have heard (like Gixxer said) that you are to do cardio in the morning to jump start you metabo and lift in the evening cause this is when you have the most "strength". If you are trying to loose fat, cardio in the mornig is better. Whatever you do dont do cardio then lift. You are just eating your muscles (loosing mass).

If you are looking to build mass, cut back on the cardio (but dont cut it out), and do both in the evening.

I guess the biggest thing is just to get in the gym (or outside). Anything is better than nothing. Consistancy is the key, or so I've learned.

·
resident nobody
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kinda of working out? Cardio, weights, lifting for strength or tone, lose weight or gain mass? All these things will make a difference.
My goal would really be to lose the spare tire - I was never fit or had a muscular physique, but I had toned my core and arms - this year, I've lost all my past disciplines and have slipped into the wake up at 8AM, get to work, eat dinner and crash at home routine and I HATE it.

In other words, probably cardio with emphasis on losing weight and toning. I don't think I'm in any shape to build muscle now.

·
1,150 Posts
I give up my lunch hour to workout. Gets me out of the office and breaks up the day. My gym is only a mile from my office though and I don't have someone clock watching me either. I'll eat a wrap on the way back, pull the MM shake out of the fridge and back to my desk. Might not work for everyone but its great if you can swing it.

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
I give up my lunch hour to workout. Gets me out of the office and breaks up the day. My gym is only a mile from my office though and I don't have someone clock watching me either. I'll eat a wrap on the way back, pull the MM shake out of the fridge and back to my desk. Might not work for everyone but its great if you can swing it.
:agreed: thats about the same thing I do. We have a full gym where I work so i just use my lunch for it. When I get back to my desk i have my protein shake to recover. It seems to give me a great energy boost in the middle of the day. Concider it if you have the time to work out at lunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts