Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. wanna pick your brains for a bit
so the end goal is to be able to get a CAI or a ram intake, but in the meantime better airflow through the stock intake would be awesome
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Light Grille

i’m sure we can all agree that this is a very restricted entrance for the air to get into the intake at slower speeds. my thought was maybe a temporary or a quick set up for when that extra air would be needed. a cheap, diy way.
recently i made my headlights quick release so it’s easier to work on the car. looking at the back hole behind the headlights, it looks like it would function as a good scoop for air. it’s open and non-restricted. looking at the OEM scoop, it runs down to the side of the air box. if there was a flexible rubber/plastic piping, would it be logical to instead remove the OEM scoop, connect the pipe and run it behind the headlight, and maybe drill out the high beam and create a inlet?
once i get my CAI or ram i would already want to cut out part of my headlight so cutting is no worry currently
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

my other thought was removing the old plastic on the OEM light (which i still have) and creating that into a scoop to be a placeholder so it’s not super nasty looking

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hood Automotive tire Tread Bumper Motor vehicle

so this is what i got so far. if this could be used as a scoop and use tubing to divert air into the air box. another thought i had was getting wire mesh and paint it black and bend it over the shape of the OEM headlight to keep large debris out

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
I would think it would be easier to modify the grille below the blinker and run an air tube from that grille to wherever you locate the air filter. Another member here did just that, but you'd have to search to find that thread.
FYI, another member tested the difference in performance between stock intake and short (warm) and long (cold) ram air intakes and found no significant difference to justify such a modification. Others claim to notice a difference, but without a Dyno test, it's just pure perception. There will be a difference in the sound of the engine, however, for those looking for that.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sound is good enough to grab my attention 😂
i forget the exact number but it was like 6G47 manifold that you can swap on the 3g eclipse for better airflow. if that manifold swap was paired with a CAI i’m curious if that would lead to any slight noticeable difference
i just want to find ways to modify my car but at the same time on a budget lmao

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
sound is good enough to grab my attention 😂
i forget the exact number but it was like 6G47 manifold that you can swap on the 3g eclipse for better airflow. if that manifold swap was paired with a CAI i’m curious if that would lead to any slight noticeable difference
i just want to find ways to modify my car but at the same time on a budget lmao
I think you are referring to the Diamante intake manifold swap, and I believe that also requires a larger throttle body. There are threads here regarding that mod.

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
756 Posts
A CAI is not going to get you a lot. The throttle body only has SO MUCH air flow. You are also limited by the rather restrictive exhaust system. I have a long tube CAI on mine, but I am not that serious about making power. The car is just a thing I play with, and not real high on my list of things to spend money on. ...J.D.

· Registered
24 Posts
My car wasn't getting enough air at about 3500 rpms, so just as a quick fix until I can get a real intake, I cut the stock scoop back further into the bay. It's warmer air but the opening is wider, so it isn't bogging down at high revs like it used to.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
What I did was remove the air scoop and filter box and threw on a K&N cone filter, in anticipation of eventually installing a CAI.
I kept the OEM parts unmodified in case I wanted to go back to stock.
For you, you might want to look for a high flow filter for your stock box temporarily until you go CAI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts