Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Note: Search = DB Error if there's a thread posted already.

Anyway, I finally unloaded my LG Chocolate (god, it sucked) and picked up a BB Pearl. Freakin' great little phone. I'm not too sold on the trackball, but everything else about it so far is fantastic.

And, because I'm a dork, I immediately setup ss.org to auto-detect mobile browsers and load a light skin for it on the fly. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
nice how much??

·
Soup Nazi
49 Posts
I got upgraded to BB Pearl 8100 as well. I have Tmobile and it was time for an upgrade. I like the form factor but I have heard many people having problems with the trackball. So I am crossing my fingers on that. I didnt get the data plan but I have the unlimited email plan so I can get 10 accounts setup to receive emails to my BB. Also a good site for skins and themes pinstack.com.

·
Premium Member
14,943 Posts
I'd say what the trackball feels like to me, but this isn't OT.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
My girlfriend hates that I bring it up, but I know exactly what you mean by how it feels. :lol:

I don't have the Pearl, but the Curve. Not too tremendous of a difference, but I agree, AMAZING phone. You'll even get used to the faux-clit trackball. :D

The only thing I don't like about the Pearl is that it does not have a qwerty keyboard. Texting on that phone is kind of difficult until you get used to it. Even then it may still be a pain.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
Doesn't the BB obligate you for a data plan of like $39 monthly fees? At least that's what the representative told me, that it was required on the phone. :dunno: And with the Centro, fees for internet were only $15 a month. I love this phone and I couldn't go back to the "old" style phones anymore.
At least in Arizona, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile do not require a monthly fee. But you should get the BB Service & Data Plan. To be honest with you though, if you do not want the benefits of the browser, e-mail, and full out multimedia messaging, why even get the phone? :dunno:

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
At least in Arizona, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile do not require a monthly fee. But you should get the BB Service & Data Plan. To be honest with you though, if you do not want the benefits of the browser, e-mail, and full out multimedia messaging, why even get the phone? :dunno:
True. Here in WI though, there seems to be 2 types of data plans. I have the $15 plan for my Centro and freely do all the interwebing I want, IM's etc. I couldn't see paying $50 dollars a month just to have service for the BB PLUS an additional $39 data plan. Didn't seem right to me.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
I pay $19.95 for full data (MMS, browsing, etc.) and $9.95 for unlimited texting with T-Mobile. All in all, about $30 on a family plan and it works out just fine. No one says phone plans are fair. But until the wireless network becomes even more revolutionized and competition increases, we won't see a break on our monthly bills. :(

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
If they offer extended warranties on the Pearl, check if they cover the trackball. If they do, take it. Our Pearls in the office are being replaced every 6-7 months due to trackball failures.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone and their mother had one at the Clu3G Orlando meet. I was so jealous :lol: :sweat:. I really want the LG Voyager now, though. :(
I was going to get the Voyager until I actually bumped into a buddy of mine who had one and played with it for a bit. It's nice, but feels (to me, anyway) a bit on the flimsy side and really is just a poor man's iPod with a much more cluttered interface.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish this site was more mobile viewer friendly. My iPhone doesnt care for it much. :mad:
Once I finish working the bugs out of my skin, I'll throw it Ed's way along with the plugin to autoload it. My ss.org skin actually started out as the C3G Modern skin that's used here, I just exported it 4 years ago and went to town ever since. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Once I finish working the bugs out of my skin, I'll throw it Ed's way along with the plugin to autoload it. My ss.org skin actually started out as the C3G Modern skin that's used here, I just exported it 4 years ago and went to town ever since. :lol:
:wub: Yeah, your site looks fantastic!

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
Hah, you and me both. After dealing with my BB Pearl for a year and change now, I really really hate the fucker. The interface isn't particularly intuitive to first-time Blackberry users, I can't send MMS texts, the camera on it sucks and is hard to focus (everything comes out blurry), it randomly pocket dials on me (blame the trackball), it randomly goes into vibrate mode, it randomly rejects my SIM card (rendering the phone inoperable) and it's SLOW. By far the worst smart phone I've ever owned.

I'm considering a Palm, Blackjack or Motorola device as my next phone. Just gotta wait for that wonderful T-Mobile contract to expire :ghey:

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
Doesn't the BB obligate you for a data plan of like $39 monthly fees? At least that's what the representative told me, that it was required on the phone. :dunno: And with the Centro, fees for internet were only $15 a month. I love this phone and I couldn't go back to the "old" style phones anymore.
I had a business and Internet data plan with my Pearl and dumped the latter after a few months. I realized that outside of my work e-mails, I wasn't really using the data features all that much (screen is too small, too low resolution and the trackball's size and inaccuracy when pushing down was driving me crazy on the Interweb). I still have the business plan as it interfaces with my work's Exchange Server (and my company reimburses me for it) but the Internet personal data plan isn't worth it, IMHO.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
how do the keyboard buttons work on that? it looks like it's set up more like a typewriter keyboard but does it still work the same as a normal phone where you have to hit the button 50 times to get the letter you want?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts