Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I learned something fun today about my wife's 2003 GTS. That there is this wave spring in the tranny that is prone to failure thus coming unglued and lunching the pump etc. Greeeeat. So by searching here, I learned that the OEM part is upgraded and I can get that at the dealer. But I want a superior fluid filter. Well, if there is such a thing. Has anyone run into this scenario before? Thanks ahead! :yesway:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So....the parts department at the dealer had not heard of this wave spring issue that some say is so common in the F4A51 trans. And it's stupid for me to think I'm going to sweat it or even change this one part. If I'm into the trans like that, I'm rebuilding it. So if this Low/Reverse Wave spring part no. 2741A007 lets go and lunches the tranny then I'll just order a newly rebuilt trans or try to find someone locally good enough to do the job right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Speaking of my auto trans...with 70K miles on this '03, I've had a shop change the fluid once, complete flush as it were. But, knowing how fussy most any auto trans can be these days especially in the AZ heat I thought to change the fluid myself this weekend. Ok so it calls for "Diamond SPIII. Well chit, not paying an arm and a leg for that. As I dig around about this and view the Valvoline fluid compadibility chart, I see that their Maxlife part #VV324 is equivilant if not better. So...pull the fluid line at the radiator, start it up and pump out what Tearstone said. Then, pull the drain plug and dump that out. Nope, didn't get it all out but most. Anyway, put the Valvoline in and, and, and...wow, noticably smoother shifting into gears when stopped! Smoother shifting upon acceleration. GREAT! I got about 4 new quarts left so I'll drain the pan of 2.5 qts at the next couple 3K oil changes and stay on top of this. Always liked Valvoline products and I'm real happy with these results!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts