Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was driving back home this evening and I noticed something was off with my SDS. I tried to punch it for a little bit and I noticed something a bit odd. Here the details:

Relevant setup:
Five speed GT
Stage 1 SDS
Boost gauge 30 In Hg – 20 PSI

Scenario:
I was doing about 45 on the highway and I traffic cleared up. Then I decided to shift to 3rd and punch it. The car seemed to respond just fine but the boost gauge was reading 2 or 3 PSI at about 4000 RPMS. I usually get a reading of about 5 or 6 PSI. I decided to stop and shifted up back to 5th. I heard the blow off valve release the air as it would under 5 or 6 PSI. At this point I was suspecting some belt slip.

Aftermath:
I drove all the way back home where I was thinking to check for belt slip. The car was running like it always does but I was seeing more vacuum than usual. The weirdest thing was that when I turned the car off, I didn’t get a reading of zero on my boost gauge. Also, I revved the engine up a couple of times and didn’t notice any sign of belt slip (i.e. no squeaks on the belt).

To sum it up, the car stills feels and sounds normal, but the boost gauge is not congruent with that statement. I was wondering if this was something that normally happens with boost gauges and I need to get a new one. Or, is there something major that could be wrong with my car and just don’t know about it?

Thanks

·
BOOSTED 03 GT
135 Posts
ITS PROLLY THE BOOST GAUGE IF EVERYTHING FEELS OK THE GAUGE JUST TOOK A CRAP SPECIALLY IF IT DOESNT READ 0 LIKE IT USUALLY DOES WHEN OFF

·
Registered
26 Posts
its impossible to tell if you got a bad gauge unless we know who makes it... but you probably did. I have a vac sensor that will allow me to reverse install to test for pressure. I recomend just replacing the thing. better to spend the 50-60 bucks than to let it go and not know if there IS a problem

Side note - BADBOY187A PLEASE TURN OFF THE CAPS... NO ONE LIKES TO BE YELLED AT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm... It used to read 0 with the car shut off, but now it doesn't. Does that mean that it was broken before but now it's ok?

And yes it's a mechanical gauge

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
that isn't necessarily true. my gauge reads 0psi at shut off. and it's working great.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
I have a greddy mechanical and its always read 0 at shut off.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
DavesEclipse said:
Bo the gauge I installed for him was Mech. :twothumb:
:agreed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts