Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody. This is officially my first post. I am a new member but I have looking over the forums for over a year now since I first bought my 2002 GT so I guess I am kind of a newbie but kind of not at the same time. O.K. well enough of that this is my question. Since I bought my car I have not done too much to it. I installed a AEM v2, B & M short throw, and just 2 days ago my invidia cat-back (by the way if anyone is considering this exhaust please buy it. It makes me wet my pants). I am going to save up during the winter and hopefully get a turbo set up in the spring. I guess I will be getting the doug's dyno power setup since tearstone is having problems with the supplier and everyone else baled out on us. So my question is this, is there anything i need to do before getting the turbo? My clutch is slipping so i guess i will upgrade that since i need one anyway. Is a lightened flywheel necessary? BUt what else? Can I buy an e-manage and put it on before I put on the turbo? Any other input would be appreciated. By the way my name is Rob so nice to meet everyone. Later. :wavey:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Build a motor and have it ready to drop in at the same time as the DDP kit. No you don't need a lightened flywheel, it will just shed rotational mass and allow you to rev a bit faster. Yes you can put the emanage in before the turbo kit, you just have to leave the settings blank for the most part.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
I have an E-manage for sale if you are interested:
{apparently, I broke some sort of rule, because my For Sale post has been deleted. Once I get it sorted out, I post the link back}

Personally, I'd prefer to use the ECU Flash for the tune, but there are a lot of guys out there who have had success using the e-manage to tune their turbo application.

·
Registered
441 Posts
no, dont build a motor. if you keep your head out of your ass, your stock block will work fine. IF the tune is good, ppl are running 10psi and up on a stocker. dont be cheap with the gaskets. pre-flat copper-ring gaskets are sexy. boost doesnt frag your engine, detonation does. dont pull a murphy and spend 4 grand to boost your engine without buying the 70 dollar tactrix cable. ECU tunes ftw =D

oh and dont grab your laptop and run right out to your car.. grab a current converter from the usual stores. laptop battery dying right in the middle of saving a map ftl :twitch:

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
no, dont build a motor. if you keep your head out of your ass, your stock block will work fine. IF the tune is good, ppl are running 10psi and up on a stocker. dont be cheap with the gaskets. pre-flat copper-ring gaskets are sexy. boost doesnt frag your engine, detonation does. dont pull a murphy and spend 4 grand to boost your engine without buying the 70 dollar tactrix cable. ECU tunes ftw =D

oh and dont grab your laptop and run right out to your car.. grab a current converter from the usual stores. laptop battery dying right in the middle of saving a map ftl :twitch:
Are you saying that Greg is wrong in his advice? Noone I know runs 10+psi on their stock motor and has lasted.

Truth be told ECU flashes are not as effective as you might think because there is no boost reference map, it's purely a compensation for air flow correlation.

I have no idea where you are getting your information, but I would appreciate if you would stop poisoning the knowledge well here with misinformation. A lot of us here have worked very hard at maintaining the knowledge level here, and I know your trying to help but please stop.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts

Dude, I'm going to say this hopefully only once. You are absolutely retarded when it comes to this platform. You know enough information to be dangerous. You do not know what you are talking about. You have mis information. You have read too much stuff online and you still haven't comprehended what it is you read. You are steering people wrong. You should be banned from this section of the forum as you are going to make someone spend way to much money on a blown motor.

I've pulled apart more 6g72's than you have probably had cars. How old are you? 16? What do you do? Detail cars? Please go back to the show and shine forum where you belong. Go sit on a bottle of Mother's wax and SHUSH. You are performance stupid. You throw out terms that you think will make you look intelligent but in fact only proves your ineptitude.

This platform requires forged pistons for a turbo app. PERIOD. You will eventually chip the ring lands of the pistons under boost. IT HAPPENS EVERYTIME, NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.

You may not pass go, you may not collect 200 dollars and I swear if you post one more stupid thing in this forum that misleads someone, I'm going to stick my fucking foot in your ass.

Let those who know, who have actually done, lead the way here. Keep your kindergarten comments to yourself.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
I have no idea where you are getting your information, but I would appreciate if you would stop poisoning the knowledge well here with misinformation. A lot of us here have worked very hard at maintaining the knowledge level here, and I know your trying to help but please stop.
And this is the main reason why most of the .com people are still here and the .org guys think were assholes. There are so many members over there giving information that they have no prior experience with. Its pathetic that evertime a FI member tries to help someone another member (being NA) tries and telll them hes wrong and theres another way to do it. This is one of the reasons ive backed off trying to help people in the FI section. Always seems like someone is trying to tell me im wrong. I still help a certain people that are serious but it gets frustratiing when members get false info and im the one out there driving a perfectly working turbo spyder.

I was a huge newb before, ask tearstone all the times i botherd him, and that is why im still willing to help people who want to learn.

Russ be my AIM friend? :(

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
And this is the main reason why most of the .com people are still here and the .org guys think were assholes. There are so many members over there giving information that they have no prior experience with. Its pathetic that evertime a FI member tries to help someone another member (being NA) tries and telll them hes wrong and theres another way to do it.
(
Oh man, I hear you on that one. To be honest, the moderator is the really problem over there. I've posted links up to provide the .org members with useful articles and such, and the Deep... goes behind me and deletes my post. You can't reference this site for information for those members. It's stupid. The rules are clear about pimping gear, but let's not keep people in the dark ages...

Enough of that rant (Randy, you struck a nerve)... Greg and Russ are correct, though. The temptation to go passed the proven safe level of boost is usually too great. If I were to go turbo, I'd definitely start with an engine build. Well, I'd have to because I own a GTS.

As far as the tune goes, Russ did mention the fact that tune with the Flash does have that one inherent weakness: not be able to see past 100% load. You can get around that if you tune properly, because rpms don't remain static. However, the tune is not as efficient when you are estimating the 100-180% load range. It can be and has been done. I hope to be next.

The e-manage does provide a boost reference. I still think that using the Flash to scale injectors, get your closed loop tune right and then the e-manage to handle the boosted tuned, would probably provide wonderful results.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
BTW... I just want to mention that since I'm back from court and got most of my (jailable) traffic tickets thrown out and only had to cop to a seatbelt ticket I'm in a much better mood. I was kinda pissed off this morning, does it show? :lol:

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
BTW... I just want to mention that since I'm back from court and got most of my (jailable) traffic tickets thrown out and only had to cop to a seatbelt ticket I'm in a much better mood. I was kinda pissed off this morning, does it show? :lol:
Jeez, Greg! Behave yourself! Try to keep yourself out of the pokey, will yeah?

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts

:noplease:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Jeez, Greg! Behave yourself! Try to keep yourself out of the pokey, will yeah?
Oh I'm trying. I've changed my ways from what I used to be 10 years ago but sometimes the system sucks. I got royally screwed in regards to my driver's license by an old senile white guy after I got out of jail the last time. The MVA wanted me to do the interlock program for 6 months but this asshole banged me out for 2 years. 1.5 yrs into the program I got a ticket in a car that wasn't equipped w/ the interlock as my vehicle was down for repairs. They didn't care. They didn't listen. They just fucked me and suspended my license for 2 years. No credit for almost completing the program.

Sux to be me eh?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't get it. Are we chalking up jbasol's twin turboed for 30k miles on a stock engine with 186k miles at 15psi to some sort of freak status? His work doesn't count against the prevailing wisdom that you need forged pistons at such and such psi?

The guy was amazingly rigorous in his tune, which you really need to be with ANY NA to FI conversion. An engine build will be more forgiving to occasional detonation, but that is the real enemy.

I think we're heading in the right direction, but I would love to see more logs being posted up, more hard information. I hardly every see, "can you help with this log, it looks like I'm knocking" thread here that are so common for DSM and EVO forums.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
I think you make a good point Chief... I think more is known now and our tuning tools are better. A guy has created a blog just for his ECUFlash n/a tune and he is posting all the changes he made, so I think you will see more of log sharing. I've started to see more with the introduction of EVO Scan and ECU Edit.

As I've said, convensional wisdom right now says there is about a 300 whp limit on the stock internals. Can that be raised with our better tuning tools? Perhaps, but I don't think I'm going to throw double digit boost levels at my GTS pistons any time soon.

I have to say that it is nice that we can now view "knock sums" and such to help us with the tune. I'm still amazed at the e-manage guys and especially with what jbasol did. It is a shame he sold his car, and I believe he's moved on from the boards. I think the most I've ever been upset at a moderator, is when Deepnite closed jbasol's twin-turbo thread on the .org, because of precieved OT posts. That move made no sense.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think you make a good point Chief... I think more is known now and our tuning tools are better. A guy has created a blog just for his ECUFlash n/a tune and he is posting all the changes he made, so I think you will see more of log sharing. I've started to see more with the introduction of EVO Scan and ECU Edit.

As I've said, convensional wisdom right now says there is about a 300 whp limit on the stock internals. Can that be raised with our better tuning tools? Perhaps, but I don't think I'm going to throw double digit boost levels at my GTS pistons any time soon.

I have to say that it is nice that we can now view "knock sums" and such to help us with the tune. I'm still amazed at the e-manage guys and especially with what jbasol did. It is a shame he sold his car, and I believe he's moved on from the boards. I think the most I've ever been upset at a moderator, is when Deepnite closed jbasol's twin-turbo thread on the .org, because of precieved OT posts. That move made no sense.

Actually last I heard is he ended up keeping his car. It's probably getting close to 250k right now.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Bottom line is for the average person, forged pistons is a must because they have neither the skill nor the knowledge to properly tune this platform.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I tend to think you aren't willing to learn how to tune properly you should buy a factory turbo car and not attempt any type of conversion.

But the more experienced members can help by hammering home the importance of the tune and avoiding knock. It's not like the info isn't out there, I mean the piggyback sticky in this forum is superb.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts