Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are running a Stage 2 setup with RIPP headers, what are you maxing out at in boost? Please post-up.

I hit a wall at 10.5 psi - :confused:

I had a problem with the belt not being tight enough and slipping. I fixed that and have the belt extremely tight. That got me from around 6.1 up to 10.5.

I have checked all the hoses, nice and tight. Found the MAF sensor top was bleeding air. I sealed it up with O2 safe silicone.

I have the old style BOV from RIPP. I removed the spring, put a socket and washers in it's place so the BOV would not open. I Made just one run. No difference - still 10.5 psi.

I borrowed a friends guage to verify it was not my really $ GReddy one. Same results.

I think I'm bleeding air somewhere, but hell if I can find it.

Anybody got an ideas??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Slowpoke...

Can you try somthing out.... ?

One of the other stg 2 guys has had excelent results with a RS Struass brand belt.... he had also hit a wall at 10psi....

Give it a try.... Perry switched over and hit 18psi...Shane hit 15

I'm using the 11psi set up with no problems...on our API belt...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will give it a try. Do you know where I could purchase this belt?

I wish I could switch all the pulleys over and use a cogged belt like the OHC's - no worry's about slipping then :)

I post up my results.

Thanks Ross,

Jason

·
Registered
970 Posts
SlowPoke said:
I will give it a try.

I wish I could switch all the pulleys over and use a cogged belt like the OHC's - no worry's about slipping then :)

I post up my results.

Thanks Ross,

Jason
Hmmm, (cough), (cough)

That is a neat idea ?

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
It is def the belt

once a belt starts slipping, it heats up the rubber and leaves a greasy film on it. regardless of how tight your crank it down it will slip. alas a new belt is the only fix. worked for me :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI All:

Talked to Perry. It is not a RS Strauss brand belt he is using to get 18 psi, it is a AutoZone special.

Kelly Springfield - part# 770K6

RIPP is busy at work coming up with a solution to the slipping problem. More to come the farther they get.

Jason

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, with a new Goodyear Gatorback #4060770 I am able to hit 13 psi, but that seems to be the limit. Have not applied any belt dressing yet. But I did 3 runs, tighting the belt after every run. Seems to have strechted to it's peak and is holding. For how long... who knows.

·
Supercharged Stratus
25 Posts
I just hit 16psi with stage 3 + gatorback belt. Before it would max out at about 12, but i tightened the crap out of it and it seems to like it. Runs damn lean on top though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
yanster said:
I just hit 16psi with stage 3 + gatorback belt. Before it would max out at about 12, but i tightened the crap out of it and it seems to like it. Runs damn lean on top though.
I am having the same problems. What A/F ratio are you up top ? On the dyno I was like 14.8 @5800rpms with the power still climbing ? That was w/o nitrous. With the nitrous it was around 14.9 @ 5300 rpms and we shut it down.

On the dyno I was hitting approx 16 PSI and then could only get to 13 a couple weeks after. So I tightened it up and hit 14-15 again and broke the belt a couple of nights ago. I am fixing it tonight. Also I and another member are working on using a custom crank pulley to do 22 PSI, he already has it and I ordered mine and it will be a month or 2 before I get it. I am definitely worried about running out of fuel however I had other issues at the time of my dyno run like 2 loose O2's for some reason that could have caused a lean condition ? I fixed those, got a new belt and will run again on the dyno this weekend I hope at the mopar nationals.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Guzzer said:
does any one know of a belt model number or name for stage III?
Goodyear Gatorback #4060770 (which strectches) or KELLY SPRINGFIELD - 770K6.

I am waiting for the belt tensioner to be available fron RIPP. I can't believe something so simple as belt slip is what is keeping me in the .7 bar range. I think it sux that we, being this whole FI community, can't come up with a cogged pulley for the AC to make this a non-issue. Oh well, I will wait to see how well the belt tensioner works. I willy prolly use the KELLY SPRINGFIELD - 770K6 belt as it tends not to stretch as much as the Gatorback belt after use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would luv to get the boost up above 18 to see if I am running to lean. I think with higher flow injectors we could fix the problem. Of course that requires a change to the blackbox though which will take time.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
SlowPoke said:
I would luv to get the boost up above 18 to see if I am running to lean. I think with higher flow injectors we could fix the problem. Of course that requires a change to the blackbox though which will take time.....

Remember I have the prototype tensioner and I only hit around 16 PSI when all is right. Also RIPP had bigger injectors (440s) in my car and couldn't get it to idle, so it isn't as easy as it sounds. I have talked to Ross about using a seventh injector but that brings up the thought that the O2s would see the extra fuel and try to lean the car out more and blah blah. So like I said it isn't simple at all. Also these 310s in our cars are different than the ones in most as the vary greatly. They actually will flow more than 310cc's when they need to I am told by Ross ?

RIPP is busy working on the Tiburon project but I'm sure they will come up with ways to make more power down the road. In the mean time they encourage a few people to try new things.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am considering going to a higher compression piston this winter while the weather is bad and I have my car garaged. Maybe the 10.2:1 in stead of my 9:1's. That is just as good and maybe better than more boost ?

·
Supercharged Stratus
25 Posts
Actually i havent ran my car with a wideband, but it bogs on top from running so lean. According to the quasi-accurate display in black box im in 14s all the way on top. I'm taking it easy and still have all my pistons intact. It sucks that the 440s didnt work for you, cause thats what I was hoping to run. Not sure what the next move is from this point...

·
Registered
970 Posts
yanster said:
Actually i havent ran my car with a wideband, but it bogs on top from running so lean. According to the quasi-accurate display in black box im in 14s all the way on top. I'm taking it easy and still have all my pistons intact. It sucks that the 440s didnt work for you, cause thats what I was hoping to run. Not sure what the next move is from this point...

Hmmm, glad to hear I am not the only one with this lean problem. I was told that this was a rare occurence ? When the car was on the dyno Shane (Franchise) had his laptop hooked up and we tried to add fuel up top and it did the opposite ? Maybe because we didn't know the O2s were loose and the ecu was causing it to lean out ?

The dyno guy was freaked out on the first run and didn't want to even do it if it was over 12.5. We had Ross on the phone telling us this car is not like most others and 13-14 is very common.

I will post my dyno graph after I get a new one this weekend probably.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts