Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres the deal, I'm not sure what I wanna do now... I've been collecting all the parts for my turbo setup and am well on my way to boosting my car. Heres the thing though, my car now has about 98,500 miles on it. When I do have all the parts and am ready to start boosting it it will be over 100k. My goal had been to get it ready for the next street legal drag event in may.

This is my only car atm, I'm planning on buying a beater this summer, but until then, if this car breaks I'm kinda fucked....

I was planning on adding a highstall tq converter, and auxillary cooler, but I always said if my tranny breaks i'm doing a 5spd swap, so, if my tranny's gonna break a couple thousand miles later thats kind of dumb to do.

I will be doing something with the transmission though to handle the power, along with building a motor to handle more boost and power. Thing is this summer I will have the money to get one done and start the other, that is either get a trans swap or built auto and start building a motor, or build a motor and start doing the transmission.

Another thing is, if i boost it first on the automatic i gotta find a way to tune it with the auto, and then I'll probably switch to something better if I swap the transmission.

So, wtf do I do? Should I finish boosting and run it this spring/summer at the strip?? Or should I hold off and do a trans swap or build my tranny first?? Should I build the motor or tranny first?? Built auto or tranny swap? I'm thinking a tranny swap would probably be more fun, and cost less, and be able to use a better engine management system, so I'm kinda leanin that way again now.... Also, if I boosted it on the auto, I would have to run dual ecus or some other thing to tune it, and then change and would have stuff I didn't need if I swapped to a manual....

I just don't wanna break and be SOL, and I don't wanna spend a waste a bunch of money on stuff that I'm just gonna replace not too far down the road.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
I would say you would want to build the motor after strengthening your transmission and drivetrain. A manual swap isn't entirely necessary because you can still run any piggyback tuning device on it. I don't know how much power the auto's can handle, but I don't think anyone has broken one because of making too much power.

100k miles isn't anything I would be concerned about. My friend with a 2G GS-T has 180k miles on his motor, and it finally blew on him after 80K+ miles of running over 20psi. Funny thing is, I'm sure the motor would have lasted MUCH longer if he would have taken care of it. But he constantly beat on it and never changed his oil filters. Besides, if you rebuild your motor, the number of miles on it don't matter as much anymore. With all new components inside, it'll be just like a new motor.

Just make sure, and this is IMPORTANT, to do everything right the first time, and don't drive it until you're 100% positive everything is installed correctly and it is running safely. Make sure you use SS oil lines and that you don't have any oil leaks. Also, make sure you get it tuned right away so that it doesn't run lean and blow up. If you take your time and check everything over 10 times, you should be just fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there are people that have claimed to have blown the v6 autos with too much power...

What would you suggest doing to the auto to strengthen it anyhow, short of spending over 2k or more to get a built trans? Auxilliary cooler? stiffer mounts??

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
Stiffer mounts and a cooler would definitely help, but they would only take you so far. Eventually you're probably going to need a built auto or manual trans. Obviously if you were planning on going the EMS route, a manual swap would be your best bet. Otherwise I would assume your auto would be just fine up to at least 300hp. This is just an assumption though, hopefully someone with more knowledge of auto's can give their 2 cents.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
another cooler would help, and stiffer mounts is exactly what would help.

I am boosting on my auto with solid motor mounts, but no extra cooling anything. It seems fine. I pulled the dipstick recently, and it doesn't smell burn't and hasn't changed color or anything like that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
boost it, if everything turns out good swap a kia head, than may be swap the tranny and build the motor. thats what i plan on doing after i find a decent way to tune the sporty.

·
54,463 Posts
100K isnt anything these days man, its just getting good and broken in finally :lol: i bet if you pull the head you'd still see cross hatch on the cylinder walls faintly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning on using the evo rom either way :) Dual ecus....

I pulled my tranny dipstick today and it still looked pretty clean and redish brown, didn't smell burnt at alll really, I mean, i dunno what burnt atf smells like, but it didn't smell burnt to me....

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
100K isnt anything these days man, its just getting good and broken in finally :lol: i bet if you pull the head you'd still see cross hatch on the cylinder walls faintly.
That is true i took the head off and the cross hatch's were still there! I have 100k+ miles on the car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts