Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my problem... I have a external wastegate thats not connected to any vacuums. When i punch it, it goes to 8-9 psi 1st gear and it feels great..but when im on higher gears i can hear the wheel spinning but the car is sputtering... My vacuum is at 20 and idles great. My BOV is pretty tight. so any idea? If you dont know dont bother helping me and the search feature did not help me. Oh another thing what are the symptoms of a wastegate gasket leak?

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
the wastegate should be connected to a vacuum, and it sounds like you need to tune your car. What do your logs and all say?

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wastegate should be connected to a vacuum, and it sounds like you need to tune your car. What do your logs and all say?

I have a 00 eclipse so i just wanted to get everything rite before i drop in mad cash for computer and tuning...anywho i felt some air escaping the wastegate gaskets so i ordered some for to replace ... but do you think the gasket leak will fix it?

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing... where should i put the nipple? Top or bottom of the wastegate. when ever i put a vacuum the car doesnt respond well to it. It will boost at 5psi

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
what wastegate did you get? it should have said in the directions. one is vacuum source other is a boost reference.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My tial instructions say to leave the top of the wastegate VTA and the one on the side or ,lower vac connection, to go to a vacuum source.
VTA? Vent to Atmosphere? im guessing ... so do i completely take off the screw and leave it open on top? and then i connect the manual boost controller to the side port?

·
Registered
339 Posts
VTA? Vent to Atmosphere? im guessing ... so do i completely take off the screw and leave it open on top? and then i connect the manual boost controller to the side port?
you don't have to take it off. its just the little elbow screw thing right? the top is only atmosphere pressure. the side port is where your vacuum source goes to. preferably directly from the compressor housing and then you can regulate the wastegate using a MBC in between the line that goes from the compressor housing to the wastegate.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you don't have to take it off. its just the little elbow screw thing right? the top is only atmosphere pressure. the side port is where your vacuum source goes to. preferably directly from the compressor housing and then you can regulate the wastegate using a MBC in between the line that goes from the compressor housing to the wastegate.
IF I dont have the Compressor housing on my turbo(gold nipple on turbo) can i just tee a vacuum source to it. like the vacuum from the manifold. because im using the vacuum from the fuel pressure to the BOV.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IF I dont have the Compressor housing on my turbo(gold nipple on turbo) can i just tee a vacuum source to it. like the vacuum from the manifold. because im using the vacuum from the fuel pressure to the BOV.
Im from tx too!! lets race hehe

·
Registered
339 Posts
Im from tx too!! lets race hehe
What part of tx you from? Im really looking for a shop where I can get my pos tuned at when i get the turbo installed.

I guess you can hook it up to where you have your other vacuum stuff hooked up at. But i read in another thread that it is more efficient directly from the compressor. I guess you could weld a vac bung thing into the IC piping right after the turbo. Seems like it would work to me.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What part of tx you from? Im really looking for a shop where I can get my pos tuned at when i get the turbo installed.

I guess you can hook it up to where you have your other vacuum stuff hooked up at. But i read in another thread that it is more efficient directly from the compressor. I guess you could weld a vac bung thing into the IC piping right after the turbo. Seems like it would work to me.
damnit i just wrote a shit load and i freaking erased it... lol na but i unhooked both nipples because i didnt have a vacuum line in my car and i decided to punch at the last stretch before i got home. It stutters alittle and it must be because of my blown gasket on the wastegate. But i really want to put my MBC on tomorrow.I bought 4 Wastegate gaskets for like 38bucks shipped and i also got another wastegate just incase..but im waiting for the gaskets...hopefully thats the problem. so yeah im from South Texas McAllen area. Well ill try to take some pics and keep you posted...

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
Attach the side/bottom nipple to a boost only source, such as the nipple on your compressor, if it has one. I would recommend doing that immediately. Granted your lack of tune may prevent the turbo from spooling limitlessly (due to the wastegate never opening), but it is bad for your engine. Don't be scared to spend money on "computer and tuning" because if you blow your motor up, it's going to be a lot more work and money in the end.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Attach the side/bottom nipple to a boost only source, such as the nipple on your compressor, if it has one. I would recommend doing that immediately. Granted your lack of tune may prevent the turbo from spooling limitlessly (due to the wastegate never opening), but it is bad for your engine. Don't be scared to spend money on "computer and tuning" because if you blow your motor up, it's going to be a lot more work and money in the end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts