Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 810 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Currently the world's fastest 3g Eclipse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5KZReQabU

Engine

2.3 4G63 Stroker
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Wiseco Pistons
Balance Shaft Delete
Kelford 272 Camshafts
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears
Buschur/Supertech Dual Valve Springs
Diamante Throttle Body (for cruise control)

Turbo/Exhaust

FP Black w/ Stainless Housing
4" Intake
AMS Intercooler
2.5" Stainless I/C Piping
Tial 50mm BOV
Stock Evo Exhaust Manifold
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Fathouse Fabrications Downpipe
3" Aluminum V-Band Exhaust
HKS Hi-Power Muffler
4" Intake

Fuel

2G DSM AWD Fuel Tank/Fuel Sending Unit
Walbro 450lph E-85 Pump on Relay
-8an Stainless Feed
-6an Stainless Return
Perrin Fuel Rail
FIC 2150cc High Impedence Injectors
Fuel Lab Regulator and Filter

Drivetrain

Jack's Built Transmission/Transfer Case
Quaife LSD
Quartermaster 8-Leg Street Clutch Kit
Megan Short Shifter
Evo Rear Diff
DSS 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft

Brakes

Wilwood 4-Pot Front Calipers/Aluminum Hat Rotors
Brembo Rear Brakes

Suspension

D2 Coilovers
ST Rear Sway Bar

Interior

MOMO Shift Knob
Kenwood Speakers
Alpine Receiver IVE-W530
Red LED Dash Lights
Cool White LED Floor Lighting

Exterior

Aero Duo Spoiler
GT Sideskirts
BBS Evo 9 Wheels
Moroso Cutoff Switch
Sonar Projectors/DDM Tuning HID's

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess I'll go ahead and start with my build thread. I'm not too far but I need some motivation.

Stock parts I purchased

Rear Subframe with Solid Aluminum Differential Bushings pressed in

Before transformation...

Rear end is most of the way in

Mods/Prep before installation:

All parts painted with POR-15 Chassis Black Paint
Complete Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Set
Stainless Steel Bolts
Undercoating
Suspension Techniques 18mm rear sway bar
New O.E.M. Wheel Hubs
New O.E.M. Balljoint Arms
New Moog Sway Bar Endlinks
what about engine mods?
Basically Evo everything in the front. I'm going to install everything stock just to make sure I can get it to work for a few months then I'm going to pull everything back out and build the motor/trans/xfer case. I got a local deal on a Precision SC61 turbo that I'll be putting on the stock motor but I'll eventually get a HTAGT35R.

·
Engineer/Realist
4,999 Posts
Basically Evo everything in the front. I'm going to install everything stock just to make sure I can get it to work for a few months then I'm going to pull everything back out and build the motor/trans/xfer case. I got a local deal on a Precision SC61 turbo that I'll be putting on the stock motor but I'll eventually get a HTAGT35R.
high five man, good luck, everything looks good so far. keep track of the price/ and parts, if you can.

·
N my Flippy Floppies
16,710 Posts
Looks like a fun build. Good luck.

·
Moved On
1,861 Posts
Glad somebody is takign the time and taking lots of pictures. I plan on going AWD when I eventualy get the money and parts off the TSi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice. I have to say, its way nicer to see this done to a 3g than a 2g. I was wondering, when you go to start on the engine bay, what subframe are you going to use. I've been gathering some information on trying to use a Galant vr-4 awd subframe from a left hand drive model. Any chance you could post up some pics of how your current subframe bolts up to the frame?

·
N my Flippy Floppies
16,710 Posts
So let me ask, you didnt have to reform/cut out any of the lower pan of the car? Everything fit up into the frame fine? All of your pics make this look like a simple bolt on project thus far, is that true?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So let me ask, you didnt have to reform/cut out any of the lower pan of the car? Everything fit up into the frame fine? All of your pics make this look like a simple bolt on project thus far, is that true?
No you don't have to do anything to the lower pan. You have to cut 4 holes to get all the old subframe bolts out and put the longer ones in.

It took me about a week to do just the rear of the car and I worked everyday for about 7-8 hours and I work fast. You definitely could shave off some time by not putting in the polyurethane bushings or painting everything and just leaving the whole subframe together. All the stock parts, complete subframe, gas tank, gas nozzle, and ebrake cables were out out of my car in 30 minutes with just me working. If I were to do this again I could have it done in about 4-5 days because I know exactly which 2g/3g parts to use.

Does anyone want an awd setup?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Looks like you swapped out the fuel tank, why & what did you replace with?

·
N my Flippy Floppies
16,710 Posts
I wouldnt mind doing this awd conversion if I could find a tranny to fit up to the V-6. I doubt that the AWD tranny of the evo would work with our cars let alone the nightmare of trying to use both the V-6 ECU and an evo ECU. Maybe Evo motor swap down the line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like you swapped out the fuel tank, why & what did you replace with?
Its an AWD fuel tank out of a 95-99 GSX. It has the tunnel in the middle for the drive shaft to get to the rear diff. I do have a question. People who have done the conversion on their 95-99 eclipse's from FWD to AWD had to do some work to get the thank to fit. Was the Tank a bolt on for the 3g or did you have to make some alterations to bolt locations or anything?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldnt mind doing this awd conversion if I could find a tranny to fit up to the V-6. I doubt that the AWD tranny of the evo would work with our cars let alone the nightmare of trying to use both the V-6 ECU and an evo ECU. Maybe Evo motor swap down the line.
I doubt you would have to use an evo ecu for the transmission. Most manual transmissions don't use a computer. I think they only have ports on them for temp gauges and simple monitors. As for a transmission, I don't know if it will bolt up or not, but you can possibly use the VR-4 Galant Transmission thats awd. I don't remember the engine code, but its all over these forums.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No alterations to get the fuel tank to fit. Use the 2g fuel tank and 3g straps and relocate the drivers side rear tank strap bolt. There is already a hole with threads to screw a bolt into it.

I drove it for the first time today. Braking and handling improved a little bit from going to drums to discs and sway bar/poly bushings.

I also got my evo dropout today. I'll put pics up later.

1 - 20 of 810 Posts