Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DDP turbo kit and it looks to me like the BOV is a knock off of the Turbo XS RFL. The BOV randomly makes a solid crisp swooooosh sound, however lately it is making a fluttering type sound and not very loud. I took out 2 of the 5 washer that are in it and it sounded good again, but 2 months later(now) it is back to fluttering.

No vacuum leaks found.

I guess it could be that it is not a true Turbo XS BOV.

Any idea's?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine isn't recirculated. I thought it was a Turbo XS but when I called them and asked about it they sound the body of the Turbo XS RFL BOV is not square it was kinda tapered.

So I may be sufering from a cheap peace of shit BOV.

curious if it matters where the vacuum line on the BOV ties into the car?

Mine hooks into a T coming from my intake vacuum source and Fuel management line.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got my Hallman boost controller, but am afraid to put it on right now. I am currently set a 5psi of boost and want to use the boost controller to up it to about 8psi, but the car was tuned to run at 5psi, so I guess I'm gonna wait to install it.

Running 5psi could be another reason my BOV flutters.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Really to be honest i hate the rfl it has too many issues with boost leak, get something like hks or type rs, i think a tial is self adjusting so you wont have to worry about it being to tight. Isnt there an adjustment screw on the rfl? It may be too tight

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it has washers in it. Came with 5 washers and I took 2 out so now I got 3 in it.

However, lastnight I took out 1 more and it sounded kinda like it was staying open too long when it went off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the internal wastegate? I know I can adjust the rod on it but that will also increase the boost, but could the wastegate be set too low?

The setup with a vacuum line coming from my turbo housing to the wastegate has a base boost of 3psi.

The shop that did my turbo installed a small T on the vacuum line between the housing and wastegate which increased the boost to 5psi. Do you understand what they did?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing. It is left like that. I think Tearstone said something when I showed him that. He said it was a crappy way to up the boost, by doing that it takes more vacuum.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a hallman boost controller I just got. I could go ahead and install the boost controller, but didn't know if I could up my boost to 8psi without retuning the car for that, since the car was dynotuned to run 5psi.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can take the T out and the setup will run 3psi. The BOV still flutters.

Probably go ahead and install the boost contoller this weekend.

engine wise no vac leak. It is between the wastegate and turbo house. My boost gage runs at 20 on vacuum which is where it is suppose to run

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Found the problem today. It is finally fixed.

The vacuum lines coming off of my intake manifold had a plastic T that went to the FMU and BOV. The T was down next to the manifold and melted one end of the T shut. Fixed and sound great! Wonder if it affected my FMU any. Anyways it is fixed.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i suggest a vac manifold it solved a bunch of retatred problems and cleaned my vac lines up and ive had better vac ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts